la caixa - proceddures on depositing cheques

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by ripoff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

can anyone tell me the spanish law on depositing a cheque in your spainish bank account..

i have recently sold my car in spain. i was sent a cheque from the uk to pay for the car and to pay for it to be transported to madrid to the new owner. i deposited the cheque in my la caixa bank account, and was told it wold take 15 days to clear. on the 15th day i went to la caixa and they told me the cheque was clear and would i like to withdraw any funds, i withdrew 50 euros. the next day i asked the bank if ,they could do a money transfer to the uk, and they did.  a couple of days later i tried to use the la caixa atm, but it just said consult the bank. so i spoke to the cashier who told me the cheque was clear, and also did the money transfer, and she said you can not get money from the atm, but i can withdraw money from the account via her computer, when i asked why the atm would not allow to withdraw the funds, she told me, the cheque would not clear until the the 15th sept. shock horror!!!!!!

i had to return to uk, but on the 15th sept i used my la caixa card at a uk atm, i was able to withdraw money, so assumed the cheque had finally cleared..

yesterday, 29th sept, i received an email from la caixa saying the cheque was fraudulent and the money i had fransferred and withdrew, needs to be paid back asap.

i now have no money no car and a supposed ammount to pay back to la caixa.

surely the bank are at fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any info kindly appreciated

louise

Like 0      
30 Sep 2009 8:32 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Bit of a sticky wicket this one!

I do know that it can take as much as four weeks for a cheque issued from a UK bank to clear into a Spanish bank account.

I use La Caixa and when I do an electronic transfer from UK to Spain they quite often allow me to withdraw funds from my bank account, even though the money will not officially clear until the day after. I believe it's due to the fact that they can 'see' the funds 'should' clear so they allow you to withdraw the money, which is something UK banks don't do, in that they will wait until it 'has' cleared and then allow you to draw against it.

Did you get a statement from the bank, via an ATM or a bank teller (cashier) that the funds showed clear in your account? As they might have allowed you to go into an overdraft situation based upon the deposit of the cheque.

Having said all this, I must admit that I wouldn't have parted with the car until the cheque had cleared, leave alone withdraw money against the cheque.

I know my last statement doesn't help you now Louise, but at least you starting this thread and my and other answers may help others to avoid  this in the future... don't trust ANYONE!!!!!

Go to the Police in the UK and Spain, as this is FRAUD!!!

And also go to your Lawyer in Spain and your Solicitor in England, as you obviously have a name and address, including details of the bank that issued the fraudulent cheque.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
30 Sep 2009 9:16 PM by ripoff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

HI, THE ONLY REASON I HANDED OVER THE CAR WAS THE BANK TOLD ME THE CHEQE HAD CLEARED AND THAT I COULD DO A MONEY TRANSFER, IF THE BANK HAD TOLD ME THE CHEQUE WAS NOT CLEAR I WOLD NOT OF HANDED OVER THE CAR.

THANKS FOR YOUR  RESPONSE

Like 0      
30 Sep 2009 9:16 PM by ripoff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

HI, THE ONLY REASON I HANDED OVER THE CAR WAS THE BANK TOLD ME THE CHEQE HAD CLEARED AND THAT I COULD DO A MONEY TRANSFER, IF THE BANK HAD TOLD ME THE CHEQUE WAS NOT CLEAR I WOLD NOT OF HANDED OVER THE CAR.

THANKS FOR YOUR  RESPONSE

Like 0      
01 Oct 2009 7:03 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

Hi Louise

I have read of similar cases happening in the uk, where cheques have passed hands, banks then state funds cleared but then state fraud. So it is not just a spanish issue. You need to report it to the police, and get legal advice.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a few key estate agents - 0 posts
Print Spanish postal stamps from PC? - 1 posts
Question for Maria - 1 posts
starting up stables in spain - 3 posts
Registering with the Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
PM from rememberme............... - 1 posts
Yellow whites - 2 posts
Car registration plates - 9 posts
Reply from the "Tax Man" - 1 posts
Fontana Pizzeria Pueblo Latino Torre de la Horadada - 3 posts
Centro Cultural, Quesada - is there an e-mail address? - 0 posts
Vodafone dongle-early redemption penalty? - 8 posts
Spanish social security - is it worth signing up? - 9 posts
Selling a UK vehicle in spain to someone returning to the UK - 1 posts
Handing in the Keys - 1 posts
replacement shutters - 0 posts
just sold - experiences - 0 posts
Keyholder and cleaner - 3 posts
Roadside assistance - 0 posts
Andalucian Dream Homes - 6 posts
Complaints book for airlines? - 5 posts
IBI Tax withou License of firrst occupation - 11 posts
club mana san javier - 1 posts
is VIPS going downhill? - 0 posts
No More Fresh Cooked School Dinners in Andalucia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x