Am I entitled to free healthcare

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Sep 2009 12:00 AM by trendytots Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

My husband is going to start working in the campo. The job comes with a contract and he has been told to register for Social Security.  My question is, is there a minimum amount of time that he needs to work before we are entiltled to free healthcare and will our entitlement  stop if he is laid off. Or is it a case that once you have registered  and worked for any period of time that you are entitled to free healthcare indefinitely.

Many thanks

Like 0      
19 Sep 2009 6:14 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

my understanding of healthcare is that all is required is a NIE SS number and a local pardon. After 3 years of living here I finally went down and got my healthcare card and it was actually quite easy, took all of 5 mins. Took about 4 weeks to get the card. the main negative to Spanish healthcare is that I have to go to my local clinic first and I don't think they speak much English.

Edit: as far as I can tell I don't need to pay SS to get healthcare. I was able to get a SS card without having to present a job contract only my NIE (which they ignored and registared it against my Canadian passport)

This message was last edited by Rob in Madrid on 19/09/2009.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2009 11:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Love the bit about the local "pardon" Rob - what have you done wrong?!

Normally you must contribute to the system in Spain to be entitled to anything. Of course, rules are made to be broken, and there will always be the odd (!?) exception. New rules specifically for Valencia region which I shall post on a new thread, but some general info (primarily for UK citizens) here.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Oct 2009 10:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

My husband is going to start working in the campo. The job comes with a contract and he has been told to register for Social Security.  My question is, is there a minimum amount of time that he needs to work before we are entiltled to free healthcare No, there is not, he is entitled to free healthcare same day he is registered, and even before for urgent assistance and will our entitlement  stop if he is laid off. Or is it a case that once you have registered  and worked for any period of time that you are entitled to free healthcare indefinitely. Once you are registered in the Social Security System, you will always have healthcare urgent assistance.

Legal tip 20. Right to health care of foreigners in Spain
17 December 2008 @ 05:55

Provision 12. Right to health care of foreigners in Spain

1. Foreigners registered in the local census of the town they usually reside , have right to health care under same conditions than Spanish nationals.

2. Foreigners being in Spain for a stay have right to public urgent health care if they contracted any serious illness or suffered an accident, whatever the cause might be. They will have right to the continuity of that health care till they are discharged.

3. Minor age foreigners  being in Spain for a stay  have right to health care under same conditions than Spanish nationals.

4. Foreigner pregnant women being in Spain for a stay have right to health care during the pregnancy, delivery and post partum.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 01/10/2009.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Oct 2009 5:21 PM by mariposa07 Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

Confused!  Last week I went to the Social Security Office in Murcia to enquire about getting a social security number for my neighbour who is english and moved over here in Feb.  He is disabled but under 60, so not working and has no pension.  I was told that they would not supply a SS number without a contract of employment and referred me to INSS, where I queued for over 1hr to be told that they do not hand out Health Cards either and that unless we could provide proof from the UK that they would pick up the bill, they would not issue a health card.  We have therefore contacted Works & Pensions and they are issue a form showing his entitlement.  What is not clear is how long this entitlement will be for.

None of the officials I spoke to said that foreigners were entitled to fee health care in Spain, in fact they made it very clear that they are not unless the UK are paying for it, so I'm more than a little bit confused.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2009 6:14 PM by Biggs Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

There seem to be a lot of confusion about access to free health care here in Spain.

1) What is the rule in Valencia, is not the rule in Murcia. Spain is a federation of autonomous regions - pretty much like U.S.A.

2) Access to National Health is contribution based as follows: As an empolyee - as a self employed - as a state pensioner (apply for an E121 from Newcastle) - or temporarily for the first 1 1/2 to 2 years after moving to Spain using an E106 (apply for one from Newcastle)

Unfortunately there has been so much confusion - not only among the Expats but also among the people working within the public health care system here in Spain -  that many Expats have been able to squeeze thrugh the net and access to the public health care sytem here in Spain without actually having the right. 

For expats living in MURCIA: If you are not employed or self employed, or have Britain paying for you health care (a state pensioner with an E121 form, or have newly moved to Spain with an E106 form) YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SPANISH PUBLIC HEALTH CARE! 

Mariposa's friend will probably get an E106 form which will be valid for max 2 years - as Mariposa writes that he is no on state pension.

This message was last edited by Biggs on 01/10/2009.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2009 6:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

".....neighbour who is english and moved over here in Feb.  He is disabled but under 60, so not working and has no pension".

From UKINSPAIN :

If you are not paying into the Spanish social security system you may also get state healthcare if:

• You are in receipt of a UK state pension, long-term contribution-based Incapacity benefit or Bereavement benefit (apply for an E121 form);

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Oct 2009 8:10 AM by mariposa07 Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

Thanks for that, believe he is waiting for his E121.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2010 11:02 PM by Val Star rating in Pinar de Campoverde .... 160 posts Send private message

Val´s avatar

Totally confused!  I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes.  Today we went to obtain our padron,at the local town hall, we are in the Valencia region.  We were then told to go to another desk for medical.  There we were asked for our EHIC cards, which we discoved had actually run out in December.  We were then told to renew them and to then go back where we would be issued with a SIP card.  They gave us a leaflet which shows that we use the EHIC and SIP card together.  We hadn't asked for health cover and are at present still covered in the UK.  My husband is diabetic and gets his tablets and check ups there.  If we take out this SIP card will that mean we are on the Spanish Health System and will our cover at home cease?  We aren't retirement age and aren't working, at present we divide our time between Spain and the UK. 

Make the most of today.  It has taken all your life to get her...

Like 0      
03 Mar 2010 6:08 PM by Biggs Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Well, as far as I have heard, in Valencia they issue a special SIP card for people with an EHIC - they say it is to make the admin easier, when the holder uses the system.

But I personally think this makes things more confusing.

It is not a Spanish social security card - or ought not to be.

Only if you register as living here in Spain do you risk to loose your right to free health care back in UK - you cannot be registered for both Spanish and UK public health care.

Just a reminder - if you spend more than 6 months in total here in Spain, you ought to take out a private health insurance.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New Years Eve - 0 posts
bank guarantees nothing update - 3 posts
Garden furniture wanted - - 4 posts
Don Quijote in Spanglish - 0 posts
All Lawyers - 6 posts
Bus Service from La Linea to Malaga (airport) - 5 posts
Dogs in Cars - 2 posts
registering spanish car - 5 posts
IVA increase? - 1 posts
Only 1 page of search results - 0 posts
Collect NIE within how many months/years? - 2 posts
Form 215 - 0 posts
Telefonicainenglish...SCAM? - 3 posts
ABOUT HIRE CARS - 2 posts
EOS back up to speed - 10 posts
Bargains in Spain for two years more - 4 posts
Spanish mortgage providers - 2 posts
Train from Algeciras to Rhonda - 3 posts
P.G.O.U PLAN - 11 posts
Am I being discriminated against? - 2 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
moving furniture from spain. - 1 posts
furniture package for sale half price - 2 posts
builder wanted - 3 posts
PM notifications may not be working for you - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x