Break in

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by flyboy Star rating in Essex/La Vinuela Mal.... 1 posts Send private message

we've just experienced our first break in.  It was something we had thought might happen one day but........  They got in through the rejas and window.  Can anyone suggest how we can reduce the chance of this happening again. Alarms seem to me can be ignored. are video systems worth considering?

Also can I expect the police to be sympathetic to a Brit?

Any views gratefully received.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:32 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh crikey Flyboy,

That is not good news for you.

Is your place on a new development?

This often happens as people move in.

Don't know what the thieves are really looking for, maybe hoping you have no safe and have brought cash with you for jobs around your new casa.

Sorry to be thick, but what does "rejas" mean?

Maybe you should consider window bars?

I know English people think these are unsightly and HAVE to be there to stop the thieves, but in reality, these are part of the Spanish architecture.

Not only do they provide security obviously, but in the heat, you can sleep with the windows open safely.

I hope you recover quickly from this intrusion, it isn't nice is it?

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:39 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 12:19 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Durrrrrrrr, I new I wos fick, oh gawd, ave 2 get the book out again!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 10:03 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

We returned last night from our first stay in the apartment.  Unfortunately our week was spoilt by the fact we were burgled!

We arrived Monday evening, went out Tuesday lunch-time and on arriving back around 6pm found that the grill door leaning on the wall and the apartment door jemmied at all 3 locks.  Stolen was wide screen TV, DVD player still boxed, mini hi-fi system still boxed, digital camera and some cash and other bits and pieces.

We called a locksmith advertised in the free newspaper and he spent nearly 3 hours bashing the apartment door to be able to fit a new lock and close the door, and a new lock on the grill door.  My husband went to Alfies (our local) to see if anyone could give us advise and a lady called Carol kindly gave us a report form to fill in (this was in 3 languages) and we took it to the Guarda Civil policeman at town hall at Playa Flamenca (?).  This was very helpful as it saved us having to pay for an Interpreter.

A bit late but had Securitas fit an alarm system before we left.

It has put a dampner on our looking forward to retiring there - but we have to get over this and be positive.  We didn't get around the area much as we kept having to wait in for the insurance assessor to arrive -but he never did!!  Only the man to measure for the new door turned up!
Our neighbours were all very supportive and this helped to cheer us up (along with a few glasses of wine).  So we have made some friends and look forward to seeing them again when we next go over.

This message was last edited by thehalls on 3/25/2007.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 11:08 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 11:18 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Dear "the Halls",

I am so, so very sorry for you both.

What can I say?

It happens, you were the victims, it leaves a very very nasty taste in the mouth eh?

Had you just moved in? As this seems to be the "norm".

Believe me, if you had just moved in, they won't be back.......................so rest easy from now on ok?

The target seems to be people that have "just" signed.

Only reason I can see, is that the burglars (that seems too good a name for them doesn't it?), sorry Justin, have to say it..............the bastards....... know that people moving in may have lots of cash to pay for things up front and find you "easy pickings".

The sad thing about it is that these "bastards" (sorry Justin, said it again...........) are NOT Spanish. Most often they are Eastern Europeans, sorry if I offend anyone, but check the statistics........

Don't blame the Spanish, they want us to buy in their country, we are good for thier economy and their childrens jobs/futures.

Anyway, enough spouting off, i am sorry for your experience, I hope to goodness that this was a one off, which I am sure it was. Don't let this taint your dream............................

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 11:37 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

Thanks JeanSis and Fibby for your kind words.

Feeling a bit low right now, but hopefully it will pass.  Our insurance is with Mapfre and this is when we will find out how good they are.  An assessor was meant to call on the Thursday, then Friday and when he hadnt been by 4.30pm on the Friday,rang again to be told the assessors finish at 3pm. Told them we were heading back to the UK, so will have to ring them tomorrow to find out what happens now.

Thankfully we have a very helpful neighbour looking out for the property while we are in the UK,.

As to Securitas, the two apartments on the top floor were also unoccupied at the time, but we reckon as they had the alarm sign on the doors, they were not tampered with. 

Like 0      
26 Mar 2007 11:46 PM by toto99 Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Hi Guys

We have had loads of breakins in our urb in manilva, its new and they seam to go for the big flat screens. In our case a lot of its being done by the builders on the sight behind who can what the comings and goings all day.

We have the securitas alarm service, it was not cheap to have installed and the monthly fee is about 30 euros but in my eyes worth it. and they speak to you in english and the manual you get is also in english.

Regards

Toto99

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 4:46 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

Hi everyone

Have read the thread re breakins - so sad when it happens - taints the dream a little.

l have an Alarm with Direct Alarms and can set it even when l am in the house by blocking out zones - so l can sleep a little easier. Twice l have set it off by mistake and within a minute l get a phone call from an english speaking person asking if l am OK. l have to confirm by giving my pin number and then, and only then do they cancel the security  guard who is on his way.

The cost is about 22€ per month - and there are signs all around the house on every window and door. l hope that will keep the 'beggars' away.

If anyone has cause to make a report to the police it is possible to do this in English, and several other european languages, by ringing 902 102 112. You then go to the nearest National Police Station within the next 48 hours to agree a spanish version and sign it. l recently helped a very senior couple do this after a wallet was stolen and all went very smoothly. Especially so when we got to the police station we were ushered in ahead of quite a queue of other persons waiting to make reports. Did help make what was a fraught experience for the couple a little more easily bearable.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 7:29 PM by shirederby Star rating in uk cds. 10 posts Send private message

sorry for all those who have experienced break ins it does knock your confidence and trust.to date we have not experienced this and we are ground floor.fortunately when we signed for the apartment i had arranged for a guy to meet me and immediately installed rejas to the windows and scissor gates to the 3 patio doors which i believe have been a real detterent and also additional key  locking mechanisms to the patio  doors.we had a state of the art alarm system but it is not audible it just rings you on a designated number and when connected you can talk to whoever is in your property ,but not much good if you are in the uk.could of put a friends number in but it gets awkward if they are out or a false alarm so concentrated on mechanical detterents.one word of advice a number of the new apartments were robbed with no apparent forced entry,the strong belief and unofficially confirmed was some dishonest builders get the keys and sell them on to the professional thieves SO ENSURE ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS YOU DO ON TAKING ON A NEW APARTMENT OR HOUSE IS CHANGE THE BARRELS IN ALL ENTRY DOORS!!we have also found  it a good detterent to challenge anyone that may be within the complex(ours is fenced and gated)in a polite manner to ensure they have official business to be there.it is difficult to keep them out if they are determined but the harder you make it the less likley it is.good luck everyone

Like 0      
27 Mar 2007 7:58 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Non-residents buying a car in Spain - 16 posts
The best way to transfer money to Spain (Seriously)! - 92 posts
IKEA Seville now delivering to the coast - 2 posts
estimation of entry date - 10 posts
Seems your UK rates bill can be slashed. Check it out with YOUR local council. - 3 posts
IS THERE NO END TO THE NUMBER OF NEW MEMBERS? - 26 posts
Tax returns in spain - 1 posts
Annual retreats/conference - 1 posts
Offer on UK house. - 9 posts
Commercial business consultants - 20 posts
Interior designers tenerife - 1 posts
Suppliers - 13 posts
Hello Everyone!! - 10 posts
MEETING UP IN MARBELLA - 28 March 2007 - 127 posts
WANTED - RELIABLE GARAGE CDS - 0 posts
Spanish Amazon any info - 1 posts
Bedroom Furniture For Sale - 6 posts
Need for better search engine!! - 8 posts
Onlne Bullying - 7 posts
Duquesa Hills site not finished - 1 posts
Private message block - 2 posts
Whats the Orihuela/Fortuna area like? - 0 posts
Estepona Eateries - 1 posts
Llanos del Peral - 1 posts
Games in here - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x