Here we go!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by noggins Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Well, after talking about it, dreaming it, thinking about it, planning it,  for about 15 years we are finally DOING IT!!

All right, calm down everyone I mean we are coming to Spain....... In 8 weeks!

We are renting a house on an urbanisation (we have visited before) for 6 months to see if we can do it. The kids are excited, we are excited and I have had to buy a diary especially for our friends visiting rights!  We have work lined up, school places and somewhere to live and money in the bank. As we are only renting out our UK house and renting a spanish house so we are still  sitting on the fence, really, but we feel that in current climate its probably a more sensible stance.

So all is well - except one family member,  who is really mad at us for "jumping ship" ; We have one elderly family member left who is healthy and living an independant life but apparantly according to one of our younger relations we are abandoning our responsibilities. Frankly, I don't suppose this person really believed it was ever going to happen. The alternative is to sit it out and wait for God.

My question are: Are we being selfish? Has anyone else had similar problems? If so what did you do? Should we be even listening to this relations protestations?

I dont want to make enemies out of an otherwise happy family but surely it is down to the members of our little family unit to decide our future. This really is spoiling what should be a happy and exciting time.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 8:23 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

I had very much the same sort of thing said to me, when deciding to move to Spain.

In my book, no way is it a selfish attitude. It is cruel for someone to say you are not meeting your responsibilities.

In fact, I found it quicker sometimes, to visit my relative, travelling from Spain, than it was to face the time and nightmares of the M1/M25!!

Things have settled down now, with the continual offer for the relative to visit us here.

So, for me, life in Spain is good. Just wish I didn´t feel so claustrophobic when visiting the U.K!!

May I wish you all the very best for the future, for you and your family.

pilgrim

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 8:35 AM by roddy1 Star rating in Leeds/ Balsicas. 250 posts Send private message

roddy1´s avatar

I would not hesitate about it, get to Spain and start enjoying life!

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 8:58 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Emotional Blackmail, that's what it is.

We have had a similar problem, with my mother. I am an only child, my own children have grown up (well that's the theory) and flown the nest and we have has a house in Spain for 9 years we have both taken early retirement and wanted to move over 4 years ago. Then my father passed away very suddenly which left my mother alone. We have waited until now as my mum is not at all independent, she rely's on me for everything and would never leave the house without my collecting her in the car!!!!

I know for a fact that when I spend long periods of time in Spain, she does manage quite well but manages to make me feel very guilty for leaving her.

Another factor is my daughter has just  given birth to our 1st grandchild and I know that although she's happy for us, deep down she would prefer us to stay in the UK. We are very close. It's so difficult, but lets face it ,life is far to short and we must not be made to feel guilty for wanting to live it.

Good Luck Noggins.. go for it. Have a ball

This message was last edited by sterling on 03/07/2009.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 9:04 AM by amcgrory Star rating in La Herrada Los Monte.... 23 posts Send private message

amcgrory´s avatar

It is very difficult to offer a balanced oppinion to someone on such a major and personal decision,  but as an outsider and  given the little facts that are available would have to say that you most deffinately sound as if you have done your homework and are making in my humble oppinion a very sound and wise choise. Go for it you have very little to lose and a possably a great deal to gain. Good luck and best wishes.

Regards Pat & Ann

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 9:07 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Noggins,

You have planned this so well for so long. Great! Go with no sense of guilt.

We are relocating at the end of August too and we keep reminding relatives and friends that we are timewise probably much more accessible and they get a holiday too. Plenty of good  hoilday rental accom. in every area! 

Very best wishes

Daveil

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 11:41 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I don't think your being selfish, I would say go for it, Spain is only a few hours in the plane now if you needed to get back for an emergency, but you only have one shot at life and I would say go for it and you seem as if you have done all your planning right so you have nothing to lose.

Good luck to you and your family and I hope it all goes well for you.

This message was last edited by leema on 03/07/2009.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 11:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

What a wonderful post from Noggins. I'm sure these concerns occur within many families but, like others here, I agree it's your life & you must go for it, without question.

You said 'all is well - except one family member,  who is really mad at us for "jumping ship" ; We have one elderly family member left who is healthy and living an independant life'  The family member is being selfish & wants a hold over you & your dream. Don't allow it to happen, please.

I wish you all the very best in your new life in Spain.

Hi lifeline, all my best to you too for when you move to Murcia in August. I like the bit where you say 'we keep reminding relatives and friends that we are timewise probably much more accessible and they get a holiday too. Plenty of good  hoilday rental accom. in every area!'

Are you feeling better Noggins ? Hope so.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 1:24 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Hi Noggins

Best of luck for your adventure.

I moved from my native country 20 years ago and the relationship I have with my parents is a 100 % better then I imagine it would have been had I staid. I honestly think we are much closer now. Thanks to cheap flights we have the option of seeing each other as often as we want to. Works a treat after the initial process of getting used to the situation. They love to come over and see the grandkids and sometimes I think that is a bigger treat for my parents and my kids then being together a couple of times a week.  I always make sure that my family and friends know that out of sight does not mean out of mind and heart.

Hope everything works out for you.

Peter

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 5:51 PM by noggins Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. That is the great part of forums you really dont feel like you are on your own. It means a lot that you all took the time to post a reply.

We lost my mum nearly 2 years ago now- after a swift and sudden illness  and we realise that  you are a long time dead!

This relative of ours is officiially the only person in our lives that thinks we are being selfish.

After reading all of your posts we are feeling more confident.

We have set up msn and hotmail so there will be no excuses on our relatives part not to keep in touch

We WILL be arriving on the 1st of September! We WILL be making lots of new friends and we WILL be entertaining our long standing English friends (and family, I hope) when they visit!

Look out Mazzaron -here we come ready or not!

Like 0      
03 Jul 2009 6:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Don't forget to use Skype (free calls PC to PC) & webcams.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

tax form 210 - 20 posts
Anyone know who might hire out an old car, e.g. 'rent-a-wreck' type company? - 0 posts
1000 sq mtr of land exchange for work to be finished around my villa - 3 posts
Car hire: Autos Costasol car hire - 0 posts
building projects in Spain - 0 posts
Long Term rental- agent fees rip off - 12 posts
Car Transporters - 0 posts
New fridge freezer for sale - 1 posts
Happy Birthday Jan (Pitby) - 10 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
sky box for sale - 0 posts
CHANGE EUROS TO STERLING IN SPAIN OR UK? - 7 posts
A good base to look at the area around Alicante & Almeria - 10 posts
Completion due but Phase 2 not started - 3 posts
Inheritence tax question for non-residents. - 10 posts
Moving to Spain for 6 months to 1 year - 6 posts
I'd like some advice please. sorry for long post. - 15 posts
Property Solutions Overseas- Have you joined? - 9 posts
Spain Uncut Bonuses - 0 posts
Itzabar - 1 posts
cheap car hire in gibraltar - 1 posts
Tax returns? - 5 posts
looking for a job - 0 posts
Hello, newbie here - 0 posts
Protection when buying a second hand car in Spain? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x