CHANGE EUROS TO STERLING IN SPAIN OR UK?

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

hi guys im popping to the uk next week, wondered if anyone knew what i should do as i have had various 'suggestions' and im a little confused.

OK.

I have some euros , but i want sterling.

do i take the euros back to the uk and change in the post office, OR, would it be better for me, to change them here...

this may sound like a ridiculously simple question, but for me anything to do with currency changing confuses me.

thanks

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 10:49 AM by tmdaniel Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

jeff it depends on the volume of EUR, i dont think it will make a massive difference where you do it in terms of country unless it is thousands of pounds. I thnk you will probbaly do better in spain t sell Euro's, but it shouldnt make too much difference, just keep clear of airports or tourists areas!!!

What are of the UK are you going to? I live in london and if i need to get a small amount of Euro'd the best rates by far are the money changers on places like the edgware road, you will be about 1% from the market as opposed to 4% in post office, M & S etc 

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 10:51 AM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

hi thanks for getting back to me, thats great i want t avoid the post office then, i will be down south,portsmouth area. i didnt realise the PO charge 4% which seems quite high..

yes it will be a  bit as i sold my car and im buying another one..so i need the most best price ..\

if you have any other ideas, most welcome

thanks agaian

:)

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 12:53 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I would imagine the same thing works for you withdrawing cash in the UK as when you withdraw in Spain. Taking your cash out via the ATM once in  the UK will "probably" give you a much better rate than you will get in any exchange bureau.

Mark

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 12:55 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

thanks Mark ,

i already have the euros with me?

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 1:12 PM by benan Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I agree with tmdaniel, some of the little brokers in london are pretty good, there is one called City Forex opposite Leadenhall market and they give decent rates. normally about two cents off market so about 1.5 percent... Just make sure you stay away from the airport, although convenient, if it will be a couple of thousand could make the difference of a full tank!!!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 3:31 PM by tmdaniel Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

one option is if you find someon that needs Euros then sell them to them? then you can both benefit by not paying a 'spread'. But if you have thousands then it could be tricky to find someone. I presume you dont have a Euro bank account or dont want to deposit them, as you would get a better exchange rate by doing a bank transsfer

Like 0      
02 Jul 2009 7:50 PM by mikebr Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I just sent another OP to a company I have used, currencyuk. They did a good deal for me at the time and it took 2 days, although it is maybe best to try around if changing a lot of money as a small difference can mean a lot.

HTH

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A good base to look at the area around Alicante & Almeria - 10 posts
Completion due but Phase 2 not started - 3 posts
Inheritence tax question for non-residents. - 10 posts
Moving to Spain for 6 months to 1 year - 6 posts
I'd like some advice please. sorry for long post. - 15 posts
Property Solutions Overseas- Have you joined? - 9 posts
Spain Uncut Bonuses - 0 posts
Itzabar - 1 posts
cheap car hire in gibraltar - 1 posts
Tax returns? - 5 posts
looking for a job - 0 posts
Hello, newbie here - 0 posts
Protection when buying a second hand car in Spain? - 0 posts
looking for a car - 2 posts
Car Trailer for sale - 0 posts
Drive to Spain for Christmas - 14 posts
Reality Resorts - 1 posts
Any info on Lo Crispin please!! - 13 posts
Airport pick up and drop off - 0 posts
Hello everyone! - 4 posts
No tourist licence-help - 2 posts
rentals - 1 posts
Happy 5th Birthday Eye On Spain - 15 posts
Tennis Well done Andy Murray - 36 posts
No dudaría- I would not hesitate... Antonio´s by Rosario´ - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x