New to it all

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2009 00:00 by LMT Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi wonder if someone can help me understand what spanish withholding tax is? The company that is renting our property out is wihtholding 24% of the rental for taxes.

Also how and when do I need to file spanish tax returns in Spain - I am being quote 350 euros from someone to file them for me but in the UK I file my own - is it easy to do this yourself in Spain or do you need to pay someone to do it for you.

Apologies for the simple questions but am totally confused




Like 0      
29 Jun 2009 08:57 by ptan Star rating in Los Naranjos Jardine.... 1694 posts Send private message

ptan´s avatar


You have to pay tax on any rental income, so he is just withholding that from you to pay them.










Like 0      
29 Jun 2009 09:20 by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Taxes in Spain are paid in arrears, this year you will be paying tax for 2008.  As a non resident you have to pay income tax (La Renta) even if you don't rent out your property.  As you do rent then the amount you pay is deducted from the rental you receive.

Personally I wouldn't be happy if my agent was keeping 24% back from your rental.  Paying tax is your responsibility not there's and I'd be concerned that I could loose that money if they went bankrupt or disappeared with the money.

You can deal with your own tax affairs, I'd suggest you read "You and the Law in Spain" and decide.  I believe Amazon stock this or any of the large bookshops around.

As to the cost quoted for dealing with your tax affairs, I think it's steep.  If you tell us the region your property is in I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a gestor who would be cheaper.

If the property is owned in joint names then each person named has to file a tax return, that can bump up the price.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2009 09:35 by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 343 posts Send private message

 My lawyer charged 50 Euros each to fill in the form. We don't rent ours out so was very simple. However, I can't believe it is that much more difficult if you rent out. You pay a straight 24% of the rent you get. I believe you are not allowed to make any deductions for your costs!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Need details of local newspaper in Manilva area - 5 posts
Alicante region and the iPhone - 0 posts
Hot air balloons - 1 posts
adinistrative silence rule - 13 posts
Apartments Swap Sale El Galan - 0 posts
Sky Prices from 1st September 2009 - 2 posts
Wanted Apartment Estepona - Gibraltar Long term - 2 posts
Grupo Masa - 2 posts
Communal Pool Costs - 4 posts
Framon Motors - 13 posts
Siesta Show on Cable TV - Well done Colin - 6 posts
Fortuna golf, what do we do now? - 2 posts
La Puebla, Cartegena, Murcia - 11 posts
Transfering money back to UK - 37 posts
Spanish Music - 0 posts
Hot Poperties - 0 posts
Molina de la Puebla, Cartegena, Murcia - 10 posts
Michael Jackson has passed away! - 38 posts
coackroaches - 2 posts
Solmar car hire - 3 posts
transferring money . - 27 posts
Merino Wool Underblankets... - 0 posts
buying property in spain - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Compare car hire in Spain

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x