Are there any decent internet providers ???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2009 12:00 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hola all ,

I'm with Telefonica at the moment and the service they give is very poor at best. My internet "sticks" whilst browsing and during the course of an afternoon whilst trying to work , i have to log off and then log back on again anywhere between 20 and 30 times. The screen just freezes and then will not budge any further no matter how long i wait. I phoned them a few months ago to see if they could help but got no joy , and when i asked if i should cancel my contract and go elsewhere , the young lady said "yeah , if you want but it will take 10 days ". I tried again last Monday to see if they could come and sort it and they said they would be here "within 4 days". Guess what ? , i'm still waiting !!

So if anyone out there knows a company i could use or if someone has had similar problems and can point me in the right direction  , i would be very grateful.

Just to add that i had ONO when i lived in my previous house and they were excellent but unfortunately , they are not round my area.

Regards ,

The Doctor ,

p.s. anyone who does help can have a free ride in the Tardis.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2009 6:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm not surprised by their attitude, and I am, because last week it was "leaked" to the press that they are offering up to 30% discounts to existing customers to stop the exodus. I'm with them, and don't have any particular problem, exept that my contract is for 6mbps and I'm usually getting less than 1! Have you run a speed test to see what you're getting, and how it compares to what you pay for?

Last week I decided to take it up with them, with the aim of improving the service and getting the price reduced. So far, they've suggested my modem is to blame, and I need to upgrade to a router, which is possibly BS, but I'm going to test the theory with a friend's router and then get back to them. Whatever the result, I expect to be paying less next month!

A neighbour has recently switched from Jazztel to Ya.com, purely on cost basis, and seems to be getting a perfectly acceptable service. According to the press reports last week, ONO and Ya are currently the cheapest providers.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 10:40 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto ,

Thanks for your reply. I also should have 6mbps but again , like yourself , get nothing like that., A friend suggested i should go to Spantel but i think i am correct in thinking that they use Telefonica lines and i'm almost certain that that is where the problem lies.

And they still havent called !!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 4:03 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

As far as I know, even those few providers, like Ya.com, who you can rent the line from instead of Telefónica, still have to use Telefónica's infrastructure - my next door neighbour is with Ya, but it's not like they came and installed lines to his apartment. I think Ya just pay Telefónica for the line, then pass the cost on to their client. However, he's getting much better results with speed tests than me, so I don't really know where the problem lies. Maybe it is my modem.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 4:24 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi Dr Who, I am in the Uk and am having the same problems as you describe. I moaned at my son about all the problems. He switched my browser to google chrome. Its like I have a new computer, its fast, never sticks! I just cannot believe the difference. I know it might be different in Spain but it might be worth a try. Good luck.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 6:21 PM by keddyboy Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Here in the Guadahorce Valley, just north of Malaga, Connect 4 is the main provider.  My broadband is quick, efficient and reliable and worth the 45E per month.  If any problems they deal with them withing 24 hrs.  In the 3 years I have been with them I have had very few problems.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 9:55 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Hola all ,

Kev2006n - thanks for that , i am gonna give it a try.

Tried to cancel my Telefonica account last night , what a carry on. A friend give me the number for Spantel but when i phoned they had closed for the day. Got through to a bloke at Telefonica and told him to close my account. He said he needed my NIE so i give him that and then he told me he couldnt close it yet because the phone lines were down in their office (yes , he was serious ) and he couldnt get through to his supervisor to do it and asked if i could ring back. When i did ring back i got a young lady (and i'll try and keep this short ) who kept me on the line for 34 minutes , offered to reduce my monthly internet bill to 35 euros , then to 30 euros and then to 25.68 (dont ask me where she got that figure from). Each time , i told her that i didnt ring up just to get a reduction , all i wanted was my interenet to work properly and could she send somebody out to sort it. She seemed most reluctant to agree to send someone until 30 minutes into the conversation when she finally agreed to do it. So !!! , apparently , a technician is coming round on Thursday although she hadnt been able to tell the Technical dept because , and i quote , "i am only allowed to ring that dept twice in an hour and i've already used up this hours quota". I kid you not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

To be continued.........................

Like 0      
05 Jun 2009 10:01 AM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Update -  nobody turned up so i rang them to cancel everything. Apparently , nobody was gonna turn up anyway , it was just another lie amongst the many they have spun me.  They are supposedly gonna send me a letter of confirmation of closure.

mmmmmmmmm

to be continued.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2009 6:01 PM by dr who Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Final update -- Telefonica said they would send a letter of confirmation within 14 days and then a couple of days later they had the cheek to ring me up and ask if i wanted their faster internet (unbelievable) and when i told them i had cancelled their service they then told me it would take 17 days. Anyway , as you can see by the dates on these postings , over a month has elapsed and they still havent been in touch but thankfully my new router has arrived from Spantel and when i rang to tell them and get the start up instructions from them , a lovely woman called Violet said she would ring Telefonica and make sure everything was cancelled , which she duly did. And now i have excellent fast internet with no stoppages or freezing . It has been on for 4 hours today and has not given me 1 seconds bother . On Telefonicas service , i would have logged off and then back on again at least 20 times by now.

Telefonica , you are the weakest link , goodbye.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED - 0 posts
IKEA MURCIA - 1 posts
Feeeview in Calpe? - 3 posts
Giving up residency - 1 posts
Driving from Norwich, England to Marbella, Spain - 3 posts
Hi everybody - 2 posts
Can you tell me what the consequences would be if someone who will not pay rent/utilites is taken to court - 4 posts
Oil or Gas Central Heating - 7 posts
Lidl Muesli Bars - 17 posts
INHERITANCE TAX - 1 posts
Can I transfer my Spanish property to my children now and will this mean they will not have to pay inheritance tax - 17 posts
I saved water & electric by changing my shower head! - 1 posts
CHILDMINDING - 1 posts
Update from my visit - 1 posts
CRB - Criminal Records - 0 posts
community administrators - 7 posts
piano players ... - 2 posts
Single Mattress for sale unused - 0 posts
confortlin flax animal bedding for sale - 1 posts
help - 0 posts
Transport from Scotland - 0 posts
sky hd box for sale - 1 posts
Would you buy at the moment? - 2 posts
help - 2 posts
PEUGEOT 107 1.4HDi FOR SALE - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x