Oil or Gas Central Heating

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jun 2009 12:00 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have just got a quote for central heating.   The supplier suggests i go for an Oil based system rather than a Gas setup.

I currently have a Gas Casiter (is that right???) but it is in the wrong place so now could be a good time to convert to oil and scrap the gas completely. 

What do you reckon?  Any pros and cons gratefully received. 

Many thanks.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 2:26 PM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

Hi TP1

I have had experience of both, purely as a layman/owner, you understand.

I don't know whether you are on an urbanisation or not, but I did fall foul of rules once when they wouldn't allow oil tanks on the urbanisation and had to remove it. Worth a check.

I know of people who have oil and constantly moan about the price rises.  A bit like people do with gas I suppose. In addition it is said to be messy. There is also a question of supply. Also siting of tank etc. Regulations seem to vary in different regions but I would have had to have the tank housed in a brick 'Casita'. That would have been if I was allowed to keep it. Also yearly checks for leakage.

I had gas installed once and there were, as with oil, numerous regulations. The main one apart from the 'Corgi' type installation was that the 'Casita' had to be outside the house. It had to have a steel door and ventilation. Quite an easy task for a builder or handyman. I had large bottles linked to a regulator. Was easy to use, clean and supply was not a problem. I don't know if there is a possibility of a bulk supply to a large tank in you area.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between the efficiency of the two. I just considered how often I used it, easyness of operation etc. I used gas for cooking also live in Spain during the winter.

It is personal choice really, coupled with cost, availability and efficiency. Worth getting a few different quotes for both

I hope that helps

M

Like 0      
02 Jun 2009 2:36 PM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Hi maylin,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not on an urbanisation but still think maybe sticking to gas and keeping my existing 'Casita' might be the best option.  Doesn't seem any benefit in oil central heating just the added complexity and expense of installing an oil tank.

I will endevour to get more quotes.

Thanks once again.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2009 3:03 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

We renovated a very small casita over the period Nov 08 and Mar 09.  So we missed out most of winter. We found the best option was to go for a propane Ariston boiler which supplies hot water and one large radiator controlled by thermostat. Our walls are 60 cm thick. During March the radiator came on most nights and kept us warm. There was no hassle with the gas bottles. For about  200 euros we got a deal with Repsol for four full bottles (I don't know the size, knee high and about 20kg). They are installed in an ordinary small room with the boiler. The boiler connects to two bottles at a time, one of which is in use with the other on standby. They are easy to connect and disconnect. We swap bottles at local Repsol petrol station, about Euros 9,40 a pop. In March (cold, but not winter) we used two bottles a week. Now we use one bottle a week, and my wife and I each have a couple of showers a day, plus general hot water. It's clean, easy and cheap.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2009 8:18 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Many thanks.  Another positive vote for Gas.  I am definately sticking with the Gas option.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2009 10:57 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Gas or Oil .. the continuing saga ....

Having decided to go with Gas, the builder, that has quoted for the central heating, is advising me that the cost of reinstating the Gas Contract could be up to 1000 euros!

I have an existing casita with six large gas bottles ( 2 pairs of 3) that had an original contract setup in 1988! ... the builder says it had new hoses in 2001 (judging by date stamp on the hoses).   Apparently i need the hoses replaced then it will just be a matter if disconnecting the existing gas pipe to the old obsolete gas heaters and connecting it instead to the new central heating boiler.

Anyone any ideas of how much it would cost to setup this new contract? -  assuming the builder (or his relevant plumber type person) does the relevant disconnections/connections legally as appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 9:06 AM by heating Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, 

Central heating systems are an important in your life. We are providing central heating services with comple solution. 

Contact Us:

28A Snow Hill 

Wolverhampton 

West Midlands 

WV2 4AG

United Kingdom

Phone: 0800 917 3370

Like 0      
11 Aug 2012 4:16 PM by furoner Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I'm looking for experiences of anyone who's had air source heat pump and/or UFCH installed.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lidl Muesli Bars - 17 posts
INHERITANCE TAX - 1 posts
Can I transfer my Spanish property to my children now and will this mean they will not have to pay inheritance tax - 17 posts
I saved water & electric by changing my shower head! - 1 posts
CHILDMINDING - 1 posts
Update from my visit - 1 posts
CRB - Criminal Records - 0 posts
community administrators - 7 posts
piano players ... - 2 posts
Single Mattress for sale unused - 0 posts
confortlin flax animal bedding for sale - 1 posts
help - 0 posts
Transport from Scotland - 0 posts
sky hd box for sale - 1 posts
Would you buy at the moment? - 2 posts
help - 2 posts
PEUGEOT 107 1.4HDi FOR SALE - 0 posts
Still haven´t received tax refund for 2007 - 0 posts
Monarch Manchester (and Luton) to Almeria - 8 posts
Setanta Sports "free"for FA Cup day - 1 posts
The Village Indian Restaurant, Balsicas - 3 posts
I KNOW I HAVE ASKED BEFORE BUT ANY UPDATE ON THE PGOU MARBELLA - 2 posts
Ha sanybody had any dedalings with Rental del Sol - 2 posts
where is nearest tax office - 2 posts
Barbeques-a possible answer! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x