Social Security payments

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

I am working in Spain "legally" so my social security is being paid. I am also resident.

can anyone advise if this is automatically linked to my National Insurance donations I have made in UK before moving out here? I understand there is some kind of agreement between the 2 countries but don´t know if I need to do anything in order for them to be linked.

Any advice greatly received. Thank you. 

Like 0      
06 Mar 2007 10:29 PM by jerezgirl Star rating in Jerez de la Frontera. 43 posts Send private message

jerezgirl´s avatar

Hi Raquel

I also pay social security here in Spain, and paid into the UK system for about 10 years.  But I´m not sure what you mean when you refer to "linking".  In what way linked?

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 5:49 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

Is it not your NI payments that enable you to an Old age pension, and here in Spain its the Social Security? So the more years, and more contributions you make the better your entitlement?

Possibly I am a little confused on this, but it was someone else who pointed it out to me and told me to make sure they are linked, so you don´t only get a pension based on one or the other. Help! I am very ignorant when it comes to these sort of things.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 6:09 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi, I don't know the answer to this question, but would be interested to know the answer!

Let me know if you find out, my children are thinking of living/working in Spain.

Regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 6:49 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Fibby,

I've copied some info from another web site forum but on the face of it it makes a lot of sense. If you are a resident in Spain and at a working age the minimum NI payment is 240 euros a month per person. (Sounds steep but DSS benefits are generally higher in Spain?)

The Spanish social security system is much like the British one, in that you pay your contributions every month, and that entitles you to a pension, unemployment benefit, sick pay, maternity pay and the right to receive free healthcare. The amount of pension or benefit you receive depends on the level of contributions you have been paying. You should be a little careful too: some small businesses pay all their staff cash in hand and those staff will not be eligible for Social Security benefits, including health care. Other employers may register you, but claim you are working less than you are, thus saving themselves some money in contributions. In this situation you will still be eligible for health care, but if you become unemployed or have to take sick leave, your benefits will be lower. Obviously you may not have much of a choice as to who you work for, but we would strongly recommend that you do not work cash-in-hand.

If you are self-employed you will have to go to the local Social Security office and fill in all the paper-work yourself. Unless your Spanish is very good, then it is probably advisable to get a gestor (official agent - a bit like a lawyer for menial bureaucracy) to do this for you. The minimum monthly contribution for the self employed in Spain is currently 225EUR per month.

If you have been employed in Spain for 6 months and you lose your job, you will generally be entitled to Spanish unemployment benefit. If you are employed or self-employed, you will also be entitled to sick pay, maternity pay and, when you retire, a pension. All benefits are paid at variable rates depending on the level of your contributions. If you have been paying minimum social security contributions the amount you will receive in benefits is currently around 750 EUR per month. If you are planning to live in Spain long term you should contact the DSS overseas department (above) in order to get your UK NI contributions transferred to the Spanish system.

Mike T

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 7:00 PM by jerezgirl Star rating in Jerez de la Frontera. 43 posts Send private message

jerezgirl´s avatar
Thanks Mike - I have about 10 years UK NI contributions just sat there doing nothing!  Will be on to the DSS asap!!

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 7:30 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Mike,

Excellent information thank you!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 12:57 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

09 Mar 2007 12:58 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Should have added that with you being so accident prone you will be in dire need of the medical side when you get here on the perm!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 11:11 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Pat,

With my track record of accidents, I think I should invest in a Private Hospital not property! Do you know of any Hospitals going cheap?

Mike T

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 5:10 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Try 10 Downing Street - think they are selling hospitals short arent they - not to mention the rest of the NHS

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 5:50 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks Mike thats a great help.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2007 6:53 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

I don't know whether anybody can answer this query for me.  I have looked at various websites, including the Spanish Social Security one (in English!) but nothing seems to cover this.  When we move to Spain in 2009, my partner John will be 65 and I will be 61. We will be receiving pensions from the UK, both State pensions and company pensions (one of mine will be from the civil service and the rest are private ones - sadly, none of them will pay out that much money!)  So far, this is fairly straightforward and I can find plenty of advice on-line.  The complication is, that I am a complementary therapist and hope to work on a self-employed basis, not only for the money (though that will help supplement my small pensions), but because I enjoy doing this.  I have been told that if I declare officially that I intend working on a self-employed basis , I will have to pay over 200 euros per month for social security, whether or not I earn anything.  Now I won't be claiming any benefits from the Spanish social security system, as I am relying on my UK pension, so I am assuming that I will be exempt, however it looks as if self-employed people are only exempt if they are over 65 (the retirement age for women as well as men in Spain).  Does anybody know whether I can claim exemption at the age of 61 on the basis that I won't have a Spanish pension or be claiming any other benefits from the Spanish social security system?

Thanks.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 12:05 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Suemac,

Infortunately, you appear to fall into the Spanish NIC trap!

The answer is simple really. The retirement age for women in spain as you know is 65. If you intend to work as a self employed person you will need to pay the NIC rates applicable to your earnings just as anyone "under" the retirement age in the UK would have to!

I'm not aware of any lower NIC rates for the self employed to date! Perhaps other members would be better informed than me?

Mike T

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 1:25 PM by helenx Star rating in Kent, UK (for now!). 4 posts Send private message

Hi

I have been paying NI for 23 years in the UK so it's good to know that it can be linked to the Spanish system. Just a few more questions which I hope someone can answer for me.

Would I get a pension from the UK and Spain? Or is it all put toogether?

I've heard you need to be paying for a minimum of 15 years into the Spanish system to receive a pension - is this true? My partner will be starting work there a couple of month after his 50th birthday so would he lose out or just not claim until a couple of months after his 65th? What happens to all the NI he has paid into the UK system - 34 years worth?

I was told at my job interview that I would pay about 6% of my gross wages into SS - this is at least half of the 200+ euros that someone said was the minimum. So how does that work? Will my employers be paying the rest?

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 5:06 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

When you are an employee in either the UK or Spain both the Employer and Employee will pay a proportion of National Insurance.

If you move to Spain and take up residency, you can elect to transfer you UK paid contributions into the Spanish system. You would need to obtain professional advice both in the Uk and in Spain to consider what may the best option for you?

Mike T

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 5:17 PM by helenx Star rating in Kent, UK (for now!). 4 posts Send private message

Thank you miket. I was also paying into a private pension from 1992 to 1999. And a final salary pension since 1999. I will phone both companies and tax office here to find out what I need to do. Just waiting to see if I've got the job before doing anything official.

Can my partner carry on paying into his UK private pension when working amnd residing in Spain?

Like 0      
11 Mar 2007 7:01 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Helen,

There is no problem with your partner continuing with his personal pension contributions in the UK but there would be an issue with any tax relief claimed has he could only claim tax relief on any installments against income earned in the UK?

He could choose to cease paying into his UK Pension scheme then claim his pension at the end of the terms agreed or I'm pretty sure he could transfer the value into a Spanish pension plan claiming tax relief through the Spanish Tax system? However, A word of caution; Take good care to find an honest financial services advisor in Spain who is properly licenced as they would have to be in the UK with the FSA. I'm sure there will be many better members of EOS who would have real experience of these issues than myself!

Mike T

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Los Lagos Santa Maria Golf - 47 posts
La Vuelta restaurant, Guardamar, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
How to put a signature on your profile page so it shows at bottom of every post automatically - 0 posts
Price of tobacco & cigarettes on the Costa Blanca (Eurotabaco) - 0 posts
Hi there! Newbie here. - 9 posts
ElCherro Restaurant Murcia - 5 posts
Nearest Healthcare Unit to Duquesa - 0 posts
Marina dor Costa caribe 2 - 5 posts
Happy Birthday, Juan - 7 posts
Last minute thoughts about size of Spanish mortgage!! - 3 posts
Toys for kids - 10 posts
renting for 10 days from 29 march - 4 posts
HOW to resize a picture - 1 posts
Difference between Turistico Licence & Habitation Licence - 5 posts
No question too simple - 10 posts
law on static caravans - 0 posts
Youtube - 0 posts
Youtube - 3 posts
OVP-lawsuit against Aifos - 0 posts
director buying plot on development - 5 posts
Development at Benalmadena. - 1 posts
Webcam watching cafes on Torrevieja front etc - 0 posts
Our Justin - 1 posts
Goodnight thread, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite - 102 posts
ANY ONE COME ACROSS A BREADMAKER - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x