The evil of Cancer

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Feb 2009 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

I'm certainly no fan of Jade Goody but I wouldn't wish what is happening to her on my worst enemy.  I know only too well how devastating it is as my wife was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in July 2008.  We found out quite by accident after she had a blood test when she complained of having pains in her hands.  A colleague at work told her to insist on having the FULL blood test which she did or we would not have found out until it was too late.  Fortunately, we found out in time and after a huge operation and 6 months of chemo she has just been given the all-clear.  The point that I am making is that any cancer is a nasty evil disease that creeps up on you when you least expect and devastates whole families with its consequences.   Why are comprehensive tests for it not made compulsory instead of wasting NHS cash on treating people who have never paid anything in to the system.

We are fortunate in the fact that we have private health cover as part of our pay package, if we hadn't ,my wife wouldn't have seen Xmas with me and our grandchildren if we'd had to rely on the NHS or the GHA.  But, as a result of the shock of my wife's illness being discovered many of our work colleagues, end even our dentist's wife, have gone and had this full blood test.  Fortunately, they were all okay apart from 2 who found out that they each had a Haitus Hernia.  Again my point is that if the high profile coverage of Jade Goody's last few months can achieve anything it will make people more aware of the disease and will make them go and have a check-up, and if this helps to save only one life then it will her legacy.

I would like to thank Dr Esther Penas of the Quore Clinic in Soto Grande, Dr Molena my wife's general surgeon and all the staff at the Xanit Hospital, Benalmadena, for giving me my wife back.  Also, we work for Victor Chandler in Gibraltar and the whole company has been marvellous in their support for us, we wouldn't have got through it all without them.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 11:15 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

orda

fantastic news. Please pass on my best wishes to your wife. As you say, Cancer is a devastating disease and early check ups are so important.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 1:59 PM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Yes really great news Orda, so pleased for you both. It must make you look at life  with a new apreciation. I know a couple of other people who have been treated in Spanish hospitals for cancer, the treatment resulting in positve results. Certainly say's something for the quality of care in Spain. 

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 2:12 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Thanks Goodstich44 and Jet48 that's very kind of you.  Yes, it's true, I have always been one to fret about things in the past like being made redundant, etc, but none of that matters now.  My wife has always believed that things happen for a reason and now I too believe that, because if I hadn't been made redundant we wouldn't have moved out here and we wouldn't have found out about her illness in time, we wouldn't be working for such a great company and we wouldn't have met such a great crowd of people.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 10:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Really great to hear that your wife was given the all clear.  What a moment that must have been, I can only imagine.

I'm one that doesn't take anything for granted, I always appreciate everthing I have and all the time I can spend with my family.  

In November a friend's dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer and the following month he died!  He was perfectly fit and "healthy" until he found out he had it.  We were all totally shocked and his family totally devasted. He was a very young 60.

"Carpe diem"

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Feb 2009 11:39 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Orda,

How nice to hear of a positive result. I am afraid  I believe thing's are mapped out for you and what will be will be. 

I have seen a few people we really love die of cancer so I know what you mean.

It is good to hear that you have had brilliant result's with Spanish Care as none of us no what is around the corner. 

No I am not a great fan of Jade but she has not had a great childhood and has had to fight all the way to get where she is today. But she certainly does not deserve to die at the age of 27. It is so sad especially for her two boy's.

Yes and I know where you are coming from when we treat these people that have not even paid into our NHS but they get all the treatment.  It make's me so cross as I have had to fight all the way for Roy to get the medication for him and it was two foreign Doctor's telling me I was not in the right area.  Well I had better not get started on that.

Well so glad your wife is well.  We must savour every moment and not take anything for granted. 

Take care Pat   

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Vias verdes in Spain - 2 posts
playa flamenca - 0 posts
URGENT sale of contract at Las Terrazas de la Torre very good discount - 0 posts
carol - 2 posts
What does PRI stand for? - 5 posts
Chris - 0 posts
Estepona Carnival 20th Feb - 1 posts
actual dates of fiestas in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
How to find out who owns a property - 9 posts
Buying furniture in the UK to ship to Spain - 10 posts
New rules imposed before first AGM - 8 posts
Renault Megane Grand Scenic 7 Seater 4 years old €10,250 (Murcia) - 0 posts
Billy - 1 posts
Door Grills - 2 posts
Air Con recommendations? - 0 posts
Denia or Javea - 7 posts
For Sale: Iveco Daily XLWB 3500kg. - 0 posts
How should a community be run? - 7 posts
wanted villa in pinar de campoverde - 0 posts
SUMA - A RANT !!! - 7 posts
Smoking in Spanish restaurants - 58 posts
DVD player from the UK - 10 posts
Jet2 relax some of their charges - 0 posts
Can any one help! - 4 posts
Solmar Car Hire Charges - 48 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x