Hidden Charges.mmm

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Nov 2008 12:00 AM by jackoi Star rating in Teeside. 7 posts Send private message

Just thought i would mention about charges i  unexpectedly encountered during my recent property purchase and maybe others could avoid with all your imput. Firstly i used a money broker called "Tor FX" to transfer my money and incurred a landing charge (my understanding was that the broker would pick up any charges made by the bank)   not so   only charges into there own bank (obiously i didn't expect to pay those afterall they were after my money) anyway that amounted to 0.2% of total.  next  there was a 0.2% charge from my bank in Spain to write a bankers draught for me to take to the notary. and i forgot to mention a £40 charge for the chaps transfer in the first place to "TOR FX". All money i didn't account for. Im sure i was niaeve and better ways could be used. Anyway on the plus side delighted with my Flat  ooops sorry Apartment and look forward to some nice relaxing hols there.   Jack.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 12:40 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Banks normally have to receive funds under €50,000 free of charge, anything else and you get clobbered. Why did you CHAPS the money to the broker? We use BACS to send money to our currency broker which is free, although not same day. Another option is to try SEPA transfers from your UK bank which are supposedly free, but you don't get such a good rate. Having said that, byt the time you have taken into account the charges you have paid, the lower rate for a SEPA transfer may have been more preferable.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Nov 2008 10:57 AM by jackoi Star rating in Teeside. 7 posts Send private message

So it appears its best to transfer money in smaller lumps to avoid landing charges.   Will also take note of  BACS as against CHAPS however in my case i needed to transfer quickly. good info cheers Mark.         jack

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 8:50 AM by PeterGr Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello, my broker from excel currencies mentioned to quote the bank for non urgent payments and this has always been free of charge. Its a bit poor spanish banks take receiving fees, Tor FX dont pay receiving fees? The told me they would accept to pay the fee, I was so close to using them

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 9:17 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

We used HIFX - very satisfied - helpful, totally open and no nasty surprises. No hesitation in recommending them whatsoever.

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 10:20 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Hi Jack

Hope you have many happy years in Spain, we love it and get out often  HIFX I would not recommend, we transfered 40000 euros with them to put in the developers account, it had to be in by a certain day and they said it would only take five days, welll one month later I got a phone call asking what we wanted doing with this money, unknown to us our developer had fined us 1900 euros, with the help of Eye On Spain I managed to get HIFX to put their hands up and say it was their fault and they refunded me the 1900 euros we had to pay the developer. Never used them again.

Like you say we are nieave when we buy our first property in Spain, but you soon learn, and their is still some honest helpful people in Spain.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 1:47 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Used a money broker,one named on this thread, to transfer funds. Got clobbered 25 GBP every time by UK building society to send funds to broker and then .3% detucted from Spanish bank upon receipt of money !!

Only after our Spanish lawyer intervened did the bank stop this practice.

Now I transfer using a UK cheque. Downside have to wait 30 days before I can withdraw the cash although it can be used to pay s/o's in 7 days but I get within.00 of business rate  and no fees.

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 4:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Amex currently have an offer on for £1 charge per transaction. Details can be found here.

Mark

Like 0      
17 Nov 2009 8:46 PM by PeterGr Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

With the greatest respect to fx brokers, and I know £1 is only £1! and they are necessary, no bank will ever beat them, but they make enough money on buying and selling currency, why do some of them charge on top to transfer? It seems some companies just want to take as much profit as they can get away with these days!

Like 0      
18 Nov 2009 10:08 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Bummer. Just tried to send some money by Amex and it isn't available to individuals, only businesses .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How long can you drive your uk car in spain - 16 posts
Happy Halloween! - 3 posts
Am I liable for my husbands debt in spain? - 6 posts
Indoor pools in Costa Blanca North - 4 posts
Welcome neighbour - 6 posts
work wanted - 0 posts
Spanish mobiles (Vodafone) in Gibraltar - 2 posts
Going to football matches in Spain - 2 posts
TV - Definitive answer - 0 posts
Holiday rental website owners in the Almeria region, attention please! - 1 posts
pool covers - 1 posts
Voting Majority - 4 posts
Tips for those with family in the UK - 2 posts
USB Alfa Wifi receiver - 0 posts
A friend needs help - 5 posts
Jan le tap - 0 posts
Need advise on ending retal contract - 2 posts
cheap phone calls - 14 posts
WHERE CAN WE GET SHEETS OF PLYWOOD - 2 posts
Freecycle - 6 posts
Chesarina - 1 posts
Question for Maria re driving licence - 7 posts
Pedestrian safety bridge law - 0 posts
holiday rental contract - 1 posts
Advertising Portals...Good? Bad? ADVICE! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x