Welcome neighbour

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

This was passed to me today - anyone ever heard of 'em, or any experience of the system?

www.slingdirect.co.uk

Sounds as if it could be ok, but I don't really understand the technicalities of it all!

Steve.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2008 1:31 PM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
No.
but I've heard of these,  (Sling media) have been going for a copule of  years now, and all the reviews have been great I've seen the system in England

This message was last edited by chelseadel on 10/31/2008.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2008 8:30 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar
basically, all it is is a kind of tranmitter receiver system, that beams the signal from one place to another.
but unlike the wireless type you can buy, this does it via the internet.
so you can have a sky box in the uk (connected to a slingbox tranmitter which is in turn connected to your broadband connection) , and watch the output on you tv in spain (via a slingbox reciver connected to broadband,)
it is a neat toy, but ....
some of the uploads speeds can make the picture not as clear as it should
its not worth it is you have upload / fddownlaod quotas on you r net usage.
you still need a sky subscription to watch sky pay channels.
you will have to watch the same channels as being viewed on the tranmitting sky box / slingbox.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 11:05 AM by chelseadel Star rating in Welling kent & Las .... 155 posts Send private message

chelseadel´s avatar
There is a lot of remote software available to use via the internet if you have a TV card in your pc at home you watch all the freeview channels that way but you do need good connection speed in Spain and the UK

Like 0      
01 Nov 2008 1:50 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

My understanding is that the Sling Box option would be ideal for someone like myself who uses their home in Spain as a holiday home.   In UK you can pay for a high usage internet connection but in Spain only needed to pay for a low usage connection.

Too expensive to pay for a connection which is not used for say 8 months of the year.

Sten46 - if you do a search on forums for Sling Box you will find a report from someone who is transmitting the signal for his friend in Spain.  From memory I think the box is around £200 so it would depend on what these guys in Gran Alicante are selling their system for.  Is it a one off payment or a monthly subscription?

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 8:39 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info. 
Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but does it mean that you want to change channel, it has to be done on the box in the UK, rather than remotely fron Spain?

Steve.

Like 0      
05 Nov 2008 10:14 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

No I thought the same and imagined the fun I'd have being able to change the TV in UK off the sports channel back to something I'd prefer to watch.

My husband always looks forward to watching his beloved golf in peace when I'm out in Spain.

Don't fully understand how it works, perhaps the slingbox makes the system in the UK a twin tuner so that each country can watch the system independently.

It is explained in the post I mentioned, did you find it?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

work wanted - 0 posts
Spanish mobiles (Vodafone) in Gibraltar - 2 posts
Going to football matches in Spain - 2 posts
TV - Definitive answer - 0 posts
Holiday rental website owners in the Almeria region, attention please! - 1 posts
pool covers - 1 posts
Voting Majority - 4 posts
Tips for those with family in the UK - 2 posts
USB Alfa Wifi receiver - 0 posts
A friend needs help - 5 posts
Jan le tap - 0 posts
Need advise on ending retal contract - 2 posts
cheap phone calls - 14 posts
WHERE CAN WE GET SHEETS OF PLYWOOD - 2 posts
Freecycle - 6 posts
Chesarina - 1 posts
Question for Maria re driving licence - 7 posts
Pedestrian safety bridge law - 0 posts
holiday rental contract - 1 posts
Advertising Portals...Good? Bad? ADVICE! - 0 posts
Outrageous community and admin fees! - 21 posts
Peugeot 806 GLX 7 seat MPV for sale or part exchange for Spanish vehicle - 0 posts
barthy - 0 posts
Moped Driving Licence - 3 posts
Good restaurant in Villajoyosa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x