dongles and werbles

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by anthomo16 Star rating. 104 posts Send private message

Dongles and werbles are an off planet language to me, I am going to spend more time at my apartment (6weeks in Marbella,  home for 4 and then back out again for another couple of months etc) and my daughter insists I have a laptop with webcam so we can communicate via skype, and I just need a "dongle or werble" (yeah) and can get these on a monthly rate.

Does anyone know the best monthly fee for one of these thingies, and which company should I see?

They say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks but I guess a lot of us living in the sun have had to learn quite a few new tricks - this will be one for me.

regards,

Mo

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 8:45 AM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Hi Anthomo16, not too sure about dongles or werbles, but I know I use SKYPE to talk with and see via the video cam which is inbuilt into the laptop I have there. I got a laptop with inbuilt camera and microphone, then downloaded SKYPE for free to the laptop when in the UK and tried it out in the UK before going to Spain. As long as you have internet access in your apartment, (i.e. broadband), then that should be you set up?? That's all I did, not a dongle in site. Don't know if it helps?

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 12:20 PM by anthomo16 Star rating. 104 posts Send private message

Hi Firefly - many thanks for your reply. I don,t have an internet connection in the apartment and I believe Dongles and Werb les are what you need to plug into laptop to connect to broadband, but was wondering who has the cheapest monthly rate i.e. Movistar, Telefonica etc.
regards,
Mo

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 12:51 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Hi Mo, Didn't realise you had no internet connection yet but you do have a phone line right? Assuming so its probably a case seeing who'd do the best deal. I pay around 33E a month for mine but that's via a local cable company who also supply my Brit TV progs. Also they can "disconnect me and reconnect me" at a days notice which is useful if I am not there for a few of months, (i.e. I don't have to pay then!).

Sorry, but I had not investigated which company Movistar etc would be the cheapest. I know the dongle usually attaches to your computer and then picks up a wifi hotspot signal. This might be a better option for you if you are a light/intermittent user?  Perhaps others on the EOS site can help if they have done this recently?

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 2:45 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
What you need is a Vodafone or Movistar 3g modem.

I bought a Vodafone one for 75 Euros.  It came with 75 MB allowance (you pay for data transfer not time).

It does the trick when you need fast internet access.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 2:49 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Brilliant Justin, I think that answers the question???

Like 0      
09 Oct 2008 2:49 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

Brilliant Justin, I think that answers the question???

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Live(ish) flight arrivals/ departures information - 2 posts
PE RATTAN FURNITURE - 2 posts
OUT OF WORK. - 5 posts
Fraudulent 'Owners' - 22 posts
Is this true? - 1 posts
Credit Crunch - 34 posts
Foro de Villas del Arenal en nuevosvecinos.com - 14 posts
CHEAP FLIGHTS TO SPAIN - 11 posts
Fruit Trees? Off Plan development? LHD vs RHD, Negativity? Mobile broadband? Selling up? Renting? ARRRR!! - 8 posts
Spanish government will adapt measures to increase guarantees on deposits with Banks - 1 posts
Entertainment on the Costa Blanca - 2 posts
FROM the COASTRIDER...............planning permission for 2.4 dish......... - 5 posts
Tourist Plates - 19 posts
Air Conditoning engineer - Estepona - 8 posts
Life in Menorca - 3 posts
Kitting out apartment - 8 posts
advice on selling property - 1 posts
Manilva Beach - 0 posts
Cam Bank - Advice Needed Please - 2 posts
Agents Commision - 11 posts
Tina - 1 posts
Still looking for a bike! - 5 posts
3 Bed Town House For Sale - 1 posts
How do you get your money back rom Villapac? - 118 posts
Best way to Drive: London to Malaga - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x