New Scooters 50 - 125 - 150 cc

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

I an considering bringing a number of scooters to Spain....I would be able to sell at very low prices compared to current outlets and offer the same warranty conditions.
The bikes are 4-stroke and between 50cc and 150cc (although I can order larger bikes and also quads). I personally have one which is now 3 years old with almost 20,000 on the clock and it has never missed a beat.They come in various styles includung a "Retro " look which is very cool.One of the large supermarkets sell an identical bike (125cc) to one of mine for just under 1200 Euro - I will be able to do the same bike for 800 ish....

I am at the early stages in this project but feedback on it or an expression of interest would be very helpful.

Thanks,
D

Like 0      
06 Sep 2008 7:59 AM by davey2187 Star rating in Pontefract, La Torre.... 136 posts Send private message

Can you give prices including for quads, and do they have to be registered

Like 0      
06 Sep 2008 12:49 PM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

I take it you will be importing these in from China. What about spares and servicing as i know the scooter retailers over here will not touch them.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2008 2:38 PM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Hi,
 Yes , that is where they will come from. If  I go ahead with the project there will be a full spares and service package..12 months parts and labour being the standard warranty.
In fact, many Chinese made bikes are already sold here and   dealers who  won't touch them either know nothing about them or they are selling overpriced European /Japanese bikes. For the most part they are based on Honda designs. I know many many people who use such bikes on an everyday basis without issues.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2008 6:21 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Think maybe you need to be careful on consumer law here as I think you have to sell them with 24 months warranty - not sure so i may be wrong but i know that retail goods bought at a department store for sake of argument automatically have 24 months.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 10:47 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

As far as I have been able to establish so far , there is no minimum warranty period.
 Many cars dealears only offer 3 months on used vehicles and some seem to be sold with none.......I'm looking into it further but if anyone has more info on the subject please let me know your thoughts.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 11:24 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Sorry mate didnt realise they were used. Didnt mean to blow the whistle on you.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 11:32 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

They will be new but still doesn't seem to be a mimimun warranty period....It's hard to see how the Government could make such a law and restrict imports on a huge scale....
I may well be wrong

Like 0      
10 Sep 2008 11:51 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Now I am confused - I thought they were used - now you say they will be new????? Mind you its not difficult to confuse me as well you know

In that case if the bikes are new I think they have to come with a 24 month warranty under Spanish consumer law - if the manufacturer only offers 12 months then I think its the retailers responsibility to cover the second twelve months. There are limitations regarding replacement of new for old but I have had a kettle that stopped working correctly after about 19 months and was immediately replaced by Corte Ingles as they said it was not reparable. As long as one keeps a receipt for the 24 months I am fairly certain the retailer has to honour any warranty claim within that period - whether goods are imports or not. Check it out with your advisors.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 7:49 AM by whistler Star rating. 76 posts Send private message

Hi Smiley,
                    We are looking into this now.  I must say it seems unrealistic as many items one might buy wouldn't have an expected life of 2 years?? I certainly wouldn't expect a 10 Euro hairdryer from a supermarket to last 2 years or more. and doubt retailers would stock items which would cause them loss in the second year...
In any case, I will put a 2 year warranty on them if that is what the law requires.
The project may well come to nothing but, even without having any scooters here , interest is high.
Some people suggest that with the economy in down- turn they will be seen as a "luxury" and not easy to sell.. surely , in such times , cheap ,reliable transport is exactly what will sell?
Thanks

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 9:37 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
My guess would be that your last sentence is right but i am not an expert - the Spanish have generally lived on a diet of scooters for a long long time and it is generally only recently that cars have become a more widely used mode of trasnport (I am talking in the grand scheme of things). My granparents lived in Torremolinos from 1958 until 1973 and cars were a real rarity - more horses and carts and donkeys and gradually scooters filtered in - of course they now all aspire to a 911 or a prancing horse

Good luck with it

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 10:58 AM by buzylizzie Star rating in Gibraltar, Manilva a.... 192 posts Send private message

buzylizzie´s avatar
Yes good luck Whistler - I think it's a great idea.
I would definitely be interested....
Also, I think they would be good in Gibraltar - almost everyone has one and they are not that cheap...

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 12:29 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Praps you could be their local agent Buzylizzie - think they are possibly in Murcia although nothing mentioned on their profile

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 12:39 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Selling the Scooters in Gib would be a good idea.

However, there are already about 10 scooters for every car on the road, possibly more.

Everytime I go to Gib and stop at a traffic light, I get surrounded by them, on both sides of the car at the same time!  

It's not the scooter that's the menace, it's the people who ride them, as most of them don't seem to have any regard for their own safety!

And before you say it Smiley, Yes! I do obey the speed limits in Gib! I have no option, as I can never get up enough speed to even REACH the limit before one of these idiots on a scooter dashes in front of me from across the road!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 2:06 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Know what you mean but no real difference to any built up Spanish area - re potential speeding in Gib - just so you know the Old Bill are often out and about with the handheld speed guns there so speed at your peril - have seen them quite a few times at the BP forecourt just before the roundabout on the way out of Gib - assuming you can get up enough of a lick - clearly some do as have seen a few being pulled over.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 2:17 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
They'd have to catch me 1st!

Only joking!

They only time I put my foot down is on the AP-7, and then only on the way from Malaga Airport, as it is late at night and there is hardly anyone else on that motorway.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 3:06 PM by chrisfisher Star rating in Malaga. 36 posts Send private message

chrisfisher´s avatar
Hey TechNoApe,

Be carefull there are speed cameras on that road!!!!

This message was last edited by chrisfisher on 9/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 3:27 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
And unmarked camera cars as well!!! BB is watching you!! Then again if its late at night the Guardia are probably all in the local having a brandy or four in preparation for the drive home.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 3:33 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Cor!

They way you lot talk you must reckon I'm Speedy Gonzalez!

I'm only doing 87.5 mph on the AP-7, that's only 2.5 mph faster than most people are doing here on the M4/M5/M6 and M25 ...Oops! Forgot that you're dreaming of doing 85 mph on the M25 - whilst your sat in a traffic jam, ALL the way around!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
11 Sep 2008 3:41 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Which is 17.5 MPH above the UK limit and 20 KPH above the limit here (assuming my maths correct) - i am not remonstrating with you doing 140KPH - just be careful when skirting Marbella between Cañada and the tunnel - can be a lot of Guardia activity even late at night and when theyre bored they will stop a 140 er just for something to do.

87.5 MPH here???

I thought you were perm here now??? Or have I got that wrong??

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Please I need some advice! - 5 posts
Two jobs in Spain? Is this possible - 1 posts
IBI Local taxes - 75 posts
Mirador Villa Phase 2 Fuente De Piedra - 2 posts
urgent - cycle hire - 0 posts
Living in Malaga - 0 posts
viva estates - 8 posts
Moving with a dog - 3 posts
Bank transfer to Holland - 2 posts
How to handle the Guardia Civil...(not) - 1 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 0 posts
Broadband around cabo roig. - 10 posts
Good evening to everyone! - 6 posts
Tesco Clubcard Vouchers - 1 posts
New Restaurant La Reserva! - 1 posts
Mystery - 0 posts
UP-DATE ABOUT (M11) - 2 posts
Este Bueno! - 2 posts
Any Salsa classes in Los Alcazares, San Javier or anywhere close by? - 3 posts
mortgage transfer - 1 posts
MORE WOE BROUGHT ON BY CREDIT SQUEEZE - 27 posts
house exchange - 1 posts
UK based Notary - 7 posts
What's the legal age for marriage in Spain? - 5 posts
DECREE 218/2005 (only applicable to Andalucía) - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x