Moving to Spain - why are friends so negative!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

Hi to everyone. Myself (39), husband (41) and our four year old son are planning moving to Polaris Mar Menor next year. We are back over in November, which as I live in Inverness will still be warmer than it has been the whole summer here!  I think we are in the ideal situation to move, my husband works for the oil industry, so we will not be reliant on a Spanish income, I have a job in finance which I will still be able to oversee when we move and we are hoping to send our son to Kings College. My husband speaks some Portugese after working in Brazil for many years, so can manage  to communicate a little in Spanish already, and myself and my son have started learning Spanish (though at four he seems to be able to learn a word in a second!) We are going to sell our property in the UK and we will have a mortgage but will live well within our means. We spend a lot of time  travelling around and when we visit places we rtry to live rather than holiday there. All sounds to good to be true!
The only problem I find is that friends can be so negative. While I am sure they will all want to visit once we move, its all - how will you make friends - how will you manage to learn Spanish - what about the "credit  crunch" My philosophy is that life is for living and that if we dont try things how will we ever now, I think some of them are jealous and wish they could be heading off somewhere.
Any comments welcome, once we start properly with the buying process I will keep you informed, and hopefully our experiences will help someone.

Like 0      
25 Aug 2008 11:50 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
You just go for it !! You seem to have given the move much thought and sensible planning, so don't listen to the negative chat, just come over here and live your dream.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 12:15 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi
I think some of the issue will be jealousy and the other, that you have the courage to do something that others don't, you are prepared to give it a try and not be in a position later in life of looking back and thinking 'if only'.

We were fortunate that our family and friends supported our move. I don't think we could ever have envisaged just how well the transition would be or how quickly we would make friends, of all nationalities, but I would agree with Karen, you sound as if you have done your homework and I hope it works out well for you all. We certainly have no regrets.

Best of luck

Jacqui

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 12:36 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Hi, I agree with what's been said.  You seem better prepared than many. 

It's no good looking back and saying "if only ......." 

If you're sure that's what you want to do - go for it!

This message was last edited by abbbb1 on 8/26/2008.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 11:33 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

I couldn't agree more with J&N - its just jealousy of the life they think you will have and that you have the balls to do it.

I work in the North Sea in the Oil industry and have worked a 2 and 2 rota for the last 2 years while my girlfriend lived there permanently.  The only thing I would say is that if your husband is paid in £'s the exchange rate is not great at the moment.

We are heading back to the UK very shortly due to a family illness but I am fully expecting plenty of people to give us the 'So it didnt work out....' with a sly smirk.

Good luck to you though.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 1:20 PM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I've learnt so much already just from being on this site!  Had the best sleep in weeks last night after getting my worries of my chest, and now I am so looking forward to the new life ahead.
Damok666 - my husband is paid in dollars, but I am not sure if that is much better nowadays - spend a lot of time studying exchange rates!

Hope to meet you all again on this site and will undoubtedly be starting my own blog very soon.

Wendy

Like 0      
26 Aug 2008 2:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Don't forget to register on the Off plan development forums to keep you up todate with all the latest developments.

I read a thread on here recently about completion information for Polaris World.  Very interesting so it might be worthwhile doing a search for
Everything has been said previously so I won't add to it.

Go with your gut instinct, do the research and you can't go wrong'

One word of caution, it's amazing how popular you become when you own a property aboard.  When you're out there find listings of rentals nearby, it's the only way to keep sane.  Don't allow yourself to be put upon, start as you mean to go on.  I'm sure these negative friends will be keen to visit you, fine but if they 're in a rental you'll have plenty of time to yourself.

Many people have downsized houses because of this.  Drastic measures when a simple no would have sufficed 

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 9:24 PM by louisedawn Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

BBBUNNY

hi. i quite agree with every one else, myself,partner and our 4 children are moving to spain next year.

we have had all the comments of ` are you sure you will be doing the right thing, what about your family and friends, how will the kids cope?!!!!!

we are still young and have been talking bout it for years. if we dont do it now, we never will. if it does not work out, we come back to the uk! at least you can say `we have done it`

Like 0      
04 Sep 2008 9:02 AM by goldey Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi BBBunny, have you already purchased on mar menor or are you renting? 
I live in roldan, by kings college and have met some lovely people who live on La Torre and El Valle and they all
say it can get a bit lonely on these golf resorts as most of the year you don't have neighbours and with your husband
working away i felt the need to share with you what my friends have told me.
My 4 and 7 yr olds go to roldan primary which is fantastic, there's about 20 british kids there who all live on our estate
and play together after school.
90% live here full time and it's a great place to live.
Where ever you move i wish you the best, i too had similar problems but at least we won't look back and say i 
wish i had tried that.
GOOD LUCK.

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 12:08 PM by BBBunny Star rating in Javea, Costa Blanca. 20 posts Send private message

Hi Goldey, no still in UK at moment. Coming back over in November for two weeks when we are going to have a good look around at the surrounding areas, no decisions made as yet!  I have heard that La Torre and El Valle dont have as many permanent residents and its certainly something we will look closely at.
Thank you to everyone as always for all the advise. This site has given me such more information and great contacts already.
Wendy

Like 0      
05 Sep 2008 1:08 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar
Hi Wendy

If I were you I'd check out the flight paths if you're going to be near the airport as they are starting 24 hour flights next March from San Javier.

Good luck and have fun!
Irene

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 5:01 PM by Alison&Simon Star rating in Hamilton,Scotland - .... 1102 posts Send private message

Alison&Simon´s avatar
Hi BBBunny,

I think it would be better for you to look on the off plan development forum as the majority of people  there have purchased on a Polarisworld Golf Development.  I have never been to my development yet but have already made loads of friends from different developments.  We have lots of people who are planning to move permenantly and we also have people who will be holidaying there contunually throughtout the year.  Come join us and enjoy the banter and valuable advice.  The best forum to join would be Condado de Alhama as this seems to be the most popular.

Hope you see you post soon

Alison  

Always look on the bright side of life  

Dogs have lots of friends cause they wag their tails and not their tongues

Alibabe

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Certificate of non Residence - 27 posts
Jim & Marie Cregeen from Calasparra, N.W.Murcia - 0 posts
insurance worrk - 0 posts
Cleaner and local doctor - 0 posts
Duquesa Village - 9 posts
3% TAX ON SELLING PRICE - 1 posts
ONE YEAR DOWN THE LINE - 8 posts
clause to be included for Spanish wills (for british) - 0 posts
Buying & Registering a Spanish car in Spain - 14 posts
Telephone & internet connections - 1 posts
Best Places to Live - 0 posts
Gardens of Manilva - 15 posts
Work in spain?? =S - 4 posts
Nearly There ! - 10 posts
Find spaish friends !! - 0 posts
HOWABOUT LOOKING A SEEING HOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS LIVE - 4 posts
Manilva Beach Phase 3 - 0 posts
state school in san miguel - 0 posts
new owners - 6 posts
Thanks to EOS and all its participatants - 8 posts
las brisas corralejo fuertaventura - 0 posts
New driving law in Spain, whatever next ! - 43 posts
Benefits of buying in cash ? - 3 posts
long term rental - 1 posts
Anyone else going rusty? - 65 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x