Anyone else going rusty?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Sep 2008 7:34 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

For the past few days I've been watching those awful scenes of people, in England, who have been 
flooded out of their homes.  Absolutely terrible for them to lose everything, and then have to live in temporary accommodation for months.  The Caribbean isn't faring too well either. 

Certainly makes me appreciate how lucky we are where we live - even though, like Julie Anne I've had to put the central heating on again in the evenings.  I, also, must have "rose tinted visions" of how summers were when I was a child.  

Maybe I should invest in a sun tan lamp.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
07 Sep 2008 12:08 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

I too have rose tinted spectacles about childhood summers, but here is a more invidious condition from which I have suffered in the past which I call ex-pat syndrome.

This occurs in any hot sunny country, where after a time the Brit who lives there (I'm thinking of Saudi especially) only remembers the British sunny days - you know pub garden with river and swans, walks on the common or in the park, open air concerts etc.

Then, when homesickness peaks, the Brit refuses another contract and heads back to rainy, cold, miserable Britain.  Oh how the realization kicks in after a month of unremitting rain.

However, to demonstrate a point, I am adding some photos of bad weather in Spain, just to make you all feel a bit better......

This is the town square at about 4pm in August a few years ago (during the fiesta!)  The temperature before the storm hit

(without warning) was in the 100s and very sunny.  There was a hailstorm (see on top of the tables) for 10 minutes.  Then the sun came out and within 10 minutes, the whole plaza was bone dry again.  

The thing I like about Spanish weather is its extremes - no London drizzle - always spectacular!

Like 0      
07 Sep 2008 1:26 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
Ah, I feel a lot better now, Max.  

It's years since there has been snow like that locally!!  I remember back to my childhood - and that's a long way back - when we had snowball fights.  Living in Suffolk then!  Also, funnily enough, when I lived for 7 years in Manchester in the 60's didn't notice that it rained more than Essex - (also lived in Birmingham and thought the same!) - but it must be those "rose tinted glasses" again!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
07 Sep 2008 6:18 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

I Dont understand what all the moaning and fuss is all about......

Here in tropical Manchester we have a wonderful microclimate that is a regular 28 degrees and we get sunshine from 7am to 9pm every day. 

As people who live here know, Its been so hot here somedays that we have to visit the chill factor ski dome just to cool down.

Let me tell you a secret, all those people that tell you it always rains in manchester are from manchester and simply tell you that rumour as we dont want people from other parts of the country moving in and benefitting in the same way as we do.

So if you have missed out on the summer this year .....move to South Manchester (even warmer than North Manchester) .....i've got a nice new 4 bed town house for sale offers over £260K

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
07 Sep 2008 6:56 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
I have one question for you......

Hydroponics???????

Like 0      
07 Sep 2008 10:41 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Just wanted to add one more.....this is the Sierra Nevada in winter.  That's Guadix in front, and a cave house in the bottom left hand corner.:

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Furniture Packs - 0 posts
Does anyone know Charlie Chalk. - 1 posts
ART FOR children - 0 posts
Mobile phones - 5 posts
incorporation of SL - 5 posts
Swapping contract for properties - 0 posts
bar varal - 0 posts
ACCESSING YAHOO E-MAILS - 2 posts
Lombardos Restaurant Sotogrande - 0 posts
selling range rover year '98 - EUR 9000 - 0 posts
info on cheapest company incorporation - 0 posts
Insurance for age group 65+ travellers (Very interesting information) - 1 posts
New Low cost airline? Depends... - 9 posts
Flights Getting too Difficult - 17 posts
Madrid Plane crash - 9 posts
water - fine from Galassa - 4 posts
CLEANERS - 4 posts
nueva ribera beach club - 1 posts
plane crash - 2 posts
Read it and weep - 37 posts
House / home swop! Is it a good idea? Will it work? - 6 posts
BUILDER REQUIRED for balustrades & ironwork (gates) - 5 posts
cedula and legal time allowed for developers to complete - 6 posts
bank guarantees nothing - 2 posts
long or short term - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 66

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x