need to phone a mobile in Torrevieja,Costa Blanca

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by nanda Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I'm wondering if someone can help me.
I want to call a mobile number in Torrevieja,Costa Blanca.They're from U.K so the persons service provider would be the same..I think
I know they're able to call the U.K from this mobile while in Spain. Also phone calls have been made from the U.K to this mobile in Spain ,but I can't work out why they can't get through to me as I live in Australia  (unless they just don't want to!!!)
So what country /area code do I need to get through..I've tried 0011 (which is the number to get out of Australia) then 34 ,then knocking off the zero of the mobile number,then the rest of the mobile number but I'm not getting a reply.
I'm able to use my mobile to call U.K so why not Spain.
Thank you

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 2:33 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

If the number you want to call is a UK mobile but currently your friends are in Spain then you do not dial the Spain country code.

You would dial the UK country code which is 0044 followed by the mobile number, without the first zero.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:00 PM by nanda Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Aarrhhhh now that makes sense,thank you...so do I call 0011(to get out of Australia) then 0044,then the mobile number minus the zero??

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:14 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If the number starts with a 0 then it must be a UK mobile as Spanish mobiles start with a number (mines a 6)

I've just looked at instructions from our holiday villa in Florida and to ring the UK you dial 011 44 then the number leaving off the first 0 of the telephone number (011 must be the code for making an international call).  

Try that to see if it works, obviously using your code 0011 44 and if that doesn't work try 011 44.

Good luck, also UK mobiles have to pay to receive calls abroad so don't be surprised if they don't want to chat for too long

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Text them, get them to call you.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:34 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I wiped that comment off my reply as I think that Nanda's ringing from a landline - but I could be wrong.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 3:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Semi, Nandia said "I'm able to use my mobile to call U.K so why not Spain"

Do   

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2008 5:14 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

OMG - and I read it twice and deleted the bit about texting.  I think the dialling code at the beginning made me think it was a landline as it reminded me of dialling from Florida.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 12:31 AM by nanda Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Yes I've been trying to text from my mobile,although I don't think it would make any difference if I did use my  land line would it? I know when my mum & her partner were still in the UK they said they had tried to text me also but I never received those text messages so we are  obviously getting our country codes confused somewhere along the line.I've tried texting them several times but with no response ( I really don't think they're ignoring me) !!!!
Ok so next I will try 0011(to get outside Australia) then 44 ( which is very wierd 'cause they're in Spain) then the mobile minus the zero;it is a U.K mobile.
Thanks for your help so far 'cause I'm just baffled.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 12:43 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Nanda, the 44 part is because it's a UK mobile, it doesn't matter where it is being used in the world. If you didn't know they were in Spain you'd assume they were in the UK.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 9:05 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Nanda

Don't mind me asking but why are you dialiing 0011 then 44 I ring America regularly from my mobile by calling 0012then the mobilenumber so all you need to do is ring the mobile host country so try 0044 if it is a UK mobile

AuntieLinda

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 9:06 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just a thought as you're using a mobile what band range has it got.  Never used one in Australia but to use one in America you need at least a Tri Band (our new ones are Quad)  Ask in a local phone shop what you will need to communicate with a UK mobile.

The same would apply for your mum perhaps her phone is a dual band which is ok for communications between UK and other European countries but not for further afield.

When you are using your mobile to phone another UK mobile you just dial the number direct (or use your phone book).  If the mobile is registered in another country (ie bought in Spain) then from a UK mobile you would have to use 00 34(country code) and then mobile number.

If we were using our mobile in America to text back to UK we would still use the numbers in our phone book, although we are in another country our phone is registered in UK so we don't need to put 00 44 in front of the number we are calling.

When using a landline we would dial 011 44 then the number omitting the first 0.  The 011 tells the phone service that you are making an international call, or getting out of the country as you call it.

If you do have the correct band for communicating between Australia and UK then try dialling your mums mobile again omitting the 0011 because I'm sure you only need this when using a landline.

Your Mums mobile is registered as a UK mobile and linked to a UK satellite communication.  Your call will have to go there first to find out where the phone is, as she's in Spain it will transfer your call to the there and she will have to pay for this.

Just a thought what about emailing your mum, could she not go into an internet cafe to access her emails.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 9:10 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Nanda
Another thought just ring the number you usually ring that should reach her

Assuming you ring her from your mobile you should have her number in your address book

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:33 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Copied this as I've realised it doesn't read correctly

"When you are using a UK mobile to phone another UK mobile you just dial the number direct (or use your phone book).  If the mobile, you are calling, is registered in another country (ie bought in Spain) then from a UK mobile you would have to use 00 34(country code) and then mobile number."

Read Nanda's thread again and still think the problem is that both her and her mum have the wrong band's for communicating to and from Australia.  I would imagine you would need a quad band, I think that's the highest that they go to.  The fact that her Mum can not send text messages to her would indicate that that's where the problem lies.

Nanda looks like you are going to have to use your landline.

If I'm correct then both of you will have to buy new phones to text and talk to each other.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 11:47 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Does Australia have a site like we have in the UK where you can ring mobiles much cheaper from a landline (using an access code) as that would help with the cost. The UK site is http://www.dialwise.co.uk/index2.php

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 12:08 PM by nanda Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone who helped..at last I've made contact  and I received a reply!!
 0011-44- minus the zero then the mobile number....I'm such a dork .I just didn't get it with the landline/mobile and country codes thing
Thanks again
Nanda

Like 0      
02 Aug 2008 12:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hope EOS don't lose this thread, it could come in very handy.

Brill news Nanda, well done finally.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hello - 2 posts
Self Employed - need help - 14 posts
electricity - 98 posts
is it compulsary life assurance with a spanish mortgage - 5 posts
Alternative location to Benalmadena - 3 posts
Blog to learn spanish - 1 posts
Web to learn spanish - 3 posts
Rental wanted - this weekend! - 3 posts
Deals at Polaris World - 6 posts
I´ve been an´ dunnit!! - 17 posts
Re: Ryanair. You just gotta read this, what a laff I thought. - 8 posts
HALL OF SHAME - 51 posts
Could it be the sensible option to take possession of your new build home? - 3 posts
Electric pylon hanging over my off plan dream - 8 posts
solicitor - 0 posts
Schools in La Cala (Mijas Costa) - 1 posts
Quote for removals, is it OK? - 10 posts
Brand new electric fans for sale - Pedestal or desktop - excellent prices - 0 posts
Hello from essex-for now - 2 posts
Short/long term rental in Marbella - 1 posts
Short/long term rental in Marbella - 0 posts
Missing MRI - 4 posts
Erasmusplus Spanish courses in Spain with grants! - 1 posts
Notification of AGM - 2 posts
The Spanish Housing Market: A contrarian point of view. - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x