Maternity pay and moving to Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Im moving to Spain on the 7th of september and have just found out that i am pregnant. It means by the time i actually leave i will be 15 weeks and 2 days. I have been employed by my current employer for 8 years and was going to hand in my notice this week to leave at the end of August but how does this affect me getting maternity pay? Should i put off the move for a few weeks to be entitled to anything or am i entitiled to smp anyway because of how long i have been employed.. Im just really confussed on what i should do....

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 8:54 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Hi Teekapoo,

I'm not sure about what you would be entitled to from your employer but look into something called Maternity Allowance.  When we moved out here my girlfriend fell pregnant after about 2 weeks and she claimed Maternity Allowance from the UK when the baby was born.  The amount you can claim is decided by how much you were paid during certain dates and you need to send off payslips etc.  We claimed something like £450 per month for the 9 month allowance which was a bonus as we have never claimed anything in the past and certainly didn't think we'd get anything while we were in Spain.

Hope this helps.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:00 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

How do you go about claiming it from the uk? I dont mind not getting anything from my company so long as i am entitiled to it from someone, I'm stressing a little over it at the mo..

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:01 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Oh and thank you so much for your reply..

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:22 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

No problem Teekapoo, there is more information here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017811

You will have to wait until you have left your current job to make this claim.  There was also a form they requested called a MAT B1 which we couldn't supply from Spain so in the end we had to get our midwife to write a letter confirming she was pregnant but it would be much better if you could get this form in the UK in preparation for making your claim.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:37 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

So did you girl friend have a job to get into as soon as she got to Spain or can you still claim if you have no job? i keep reading everything but dont really get it, i think i'll need to go to Citizens Advice office to find out completely..

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:43 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

No you cannot claim if you are working - that is the point of the payment.  It is to help women who are used to having a wage coming in but can't work now that they are pregnant / new mums.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 9:50 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Oh right... so how about health care, was she covered over there too or did you have to go private? so much more to think about now eh!!

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 11:22 AM by damok666 Star rating in Sunderland. 75 posts Send private message

Yes she had coverage for over 2 years because she had paid UK National Insurance - I think through the E106 or 109 and she then had to go to have that authorised in Spain and was given a SIP card which she had to show whenever she had treatment.  I'm not sure how it worked exactly but she had the baby in Torrevieja and the care was excellent.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 11:26 AM by teekapoo Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Ok thats great.. thank you

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Language used in Owners´ meetings - 3 posts
Probate procedure of foreigners in Spain - 7 posts
POLICE OPERATION - 0 posts
Airline (Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2, Bmibaby) & airport reviews, add yours to them if you want to. - 1 posts
Iceland store in Torrevieja is opening around July 11th (finally) - 18 posts
TENNIS - 12 posts
Bob Smith - 3 posts
Avon Reps in Spain. - 5 posts
Malaga Airport Parking. - 3 posts
water for batteries? - 2 posts
Car hire advice needed - 6 posts
Cheap Car Hire - 4 posts
Schools near mazarron - 7 posts
Hola mi amigos!! - 1 posts
Rental Required €100 a week - 1 posts
Rental Required for €100 a week - all options considered, short or long term - 1 posts
We need Transport from Malaga Airport to Duquesa - 2 posts
Sorted :) - 4 posts
MRI in Mojacar shut - 1 posts
Costa Galera - long term rental - 1 posts
hey i need some help - 3 posts
Help! Major Wasp Problem - 13 posts
Garden Centres - 3 posts
aifos hacienda marina - 1 posts
NIE FOR COMPLETION - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x