Language used in Owners´ meetings

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It is compulsory to use the Spanish language at the Owners´ meetings?

The Supreme Court of Spain has affirmed that it is not stated in the Horizontal Property Act that the meetings of the Community of Owners have to be held in Spanish.  The Supreme Court affirms that the holdings of these meetings are not official, public acts but private ones among individual, private parties.

It is possible to use a foreign language in the meetings of the Community of Owners?

Provision 13.1 of our Constitution affirms that “ foreigners have in Spain the public liberties gathered in the Constitution as they are established in the Treaties and Law”, and provision 27 of the Civil Code “ foreigners have in Spain, same civil rights as Spanish citizens, except what it is stated in Treaties and Laws”

The right to use a foreign language is unquestionable but, as with every right, it is necessary to set a procedure by which the existence of this right won’t defencelessness to any other people.

The procedure in two sentences:
1. - Every President must include in the Owner’s meetings Agenda, a mention to the language that will be used , so that, those owners who speak a different language can ask for a translator.
2.-The Minutes of the Community of Owners must be sent to the owners in all the languages whose use or translations have been applied for.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 10:45 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Good posting Maria, thankyou. It explains everything simply. We have our AGM's in Spanish and English and sometimes Scandinavian if any of those owners attend. The minutes go out in Spanish, English, German and Scandinacian too and all out notices are in several languages.
You can't expect people to understand what is going on if you don't communicate to them in their own language. Even tho I have reasonable Spanish I don't think I could cope with an AGM or the minutes in Spanish!!  

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 11:36 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

On our community we have 1 Spanish Family and our Spanish administrator translates for them in our meeting. Interesting that we should now communicate with all owners, that the meeting will be conducted in English and anyone requiring a translator should request one before the meeting.

I think we are fortunate that it is only the one Spanish family that cannot communicate with the rest of the community in English, however there are a number of owners that speak Spanish.

Interestingly it's the Spanish family that the community has the most issues with, 3 dogs permenantly chained up on their balcony, barking through the night, dog mess washed off the balcony onto the paths daily, beating the dogs to keep them quiet...the list goes on, even voted them off the committee this year due to their inability or will to adhere to the community rules.

However we have moved away from the point, 

yes all our official notices go out in Spanish and English from the administrators, but everything else that we do is all in English as 50+ of our 60 apartments are owned by British families.

I think most communities would have problems finding Belgium, German, Scandinavian or Russian translators for their meetings...is there a business opportunity there for someone....or does the service already exist?

If it does can we let everyone know as i'm sure it will be an essential service in years to come. 

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 7:49 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

This links in to a question I have previously asked. If the AGM is conducted in Spanish and there is no translator for the English speakers, are any votes or decisions taken valid if some people didn't understand? We were told many moons ago that a translator would be present at AGM's, but it hasn't happened. Not sure if was  voted on  to do this or just a goodwill agreement. that never happened.
Thanks.

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Probate procedure of foreigners in Spain - 7 posts
POLICE OPERATION - 0 posts
Airline (Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2, Bmibaby) & airport reviews, add yours to them if you want to. - 1 posts
Iceland store in Torrevieja is opening around July 11th (finally) - 18 posts
TENNIS - 12 posts
Bob Smith - 3 posts
Avon Reps in Spain. - 5 posts
Malaga Airport Parking. - 3 posts
water for batteries? - 2 posts
Car hire advice needed - 6 posts
Cheap Car Hire - 4 posts
Schools near mazarron - 7 posts
Hola mi amigos!! - 1 posts
Rental Required €100 a week - 1 posts
Rental Required for €100 a week - all options considered, short or long term - 1 posts
We need Transport from Malaga Airport to Duquesa - 2 posts
Sorted :) - 4 posts
MRI in Mojacar shut - 1 posts
Costa Galera - long term rental - 1 posts
hey i need some help - 3 posts
Help! Major Wasp Problem - 13 posts
Garden Centres - 3 posts
aifos hacienda marina - 1 posts
NIE FOR COMPLETION - 0 posts
IBERDOLA - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x