Iceland store in Torrevieja is opening around July 11th (finally)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
http://www.overseas.es/news.php 

Someone on another forum said her friend's mum starts work there July 11th.

The store is situated on Avda Cortes de la Valenciana, Number 9 - Opposite Bankinter and on the same road as the Eroski Store. 

Map
HERE

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 2:43 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

I have been in touch with Garry the MD of Overseas.es and he has confirmed the new Iceland store in Torry will open on the 16th July.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2008 2:28 PM by jewels50 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

jewels50´s avatar
Hello everyone i am new to this forum,we are moving to Santiago de la Ribera at the end of August,we live in Tenerife now,weve just been to our iceland and as i can out,i said i will miss this.
Then out of the blue i find this announcement about an Iceland in Torrevieja,great news,are there any others around. 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 6:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
ICELAND opens tomorrow 9am, don't be late. 

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/15/2008.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 7:48 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
As I wouldn't use the Iceland in UK, I doubt if the one in Torrevieja will be getting my custom.
Fancy swapping all that lovely, fresh produce available from markets in Spain, the cabinets of marvellous hams, cheeses, fish and wonderful bread available in the supermarkets for a bunch of E numbers and salt-saturated ready meals!
Seems a shame we try and find a new life in a new country where we intend to prolong our existence on the Mediterranean diet and then go ga-ga over a Brit company trying to flog us the same things we have left behind.
Thanks, but no thanks. 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 8:48 PM by jewels50 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

jewels50´s avatar
You might think differently when you have lived abroad for more that 5 years like i have.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:05 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
I think 15 years in Cyprus, 7 in Germany and several in Central America qualifies me as "living abroad for more than 5 years".  The only thing SWMBO misses is the tea, those Lipton and others tend not to have a taste.  What do I miss?  Can't think of a thing, to be honest.  Oh, maybe the way we get pork and lamb chops in UK, but now there are several "English" butchers on the CB maybe not even that. It certainly wouldn't be Iceland, that's for sure.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:10 PM by jewels50 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

jewels50´s avatar
Our iceland in Tenerife has an english butcher,so we get the crackling,yes we buy the tea aswell,its just nice at Christmas time to be able to get the treats,i do not shop there all the time.Ive got to say when we move across to the mainland in September one of the things we are looking forward to buying is the lovely fresh produce,the stuff in Tenerife isnt that good quality to be honest.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
A butcher in Cyprus, name escapes me at the mo, used to have a New Zealand lamb shop in Larnaca and Limassol, used to keep the crackling off the pork for his British customers only as the Cypriots used to think it disgusting.  Me, love the stuff.  Now if I can only find a decent butcher that does porky scratchings (I know, I know, they're bad for you and they knock 10 years off your life, but it's the last 10 years and they're pretty rubbish, anyway - I use the same excuse for smoking)
I have a friend with a holiday home in Tenerife and he is constantly complaining about the lack of fresh produce which I always thought strange but now you've confirmed it.  Is it, like, coconuts and bananas OK but everything else shipped in?  I also found it strange that it was hard to get decent potatoes in Majorca when the UK shops are full of "Majorcan new potatoes".  I know the French subsidise their overseas colonies in the Caribbean but do the Spanish do the same for the Canary Islands?  How do prices compare between Tenerife and the mainland?

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:39 PM by jewels50 Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

jewels50´s avatar
Produce here is expensive,and the farmers markets are few and far between.When they are open they all have the same stuff,to be honest we buy our veg in mercadona but it is expensive,sometimes when we go up the north we get better stuff from carrefour.Meat and fish quite reasonable but prices everywhere seem to be rising.When are you hoping to move across.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:54 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Just reminded me Jewels
Am making a list for you for September.
The market in Santiago is on a wednesday morning, will be about 10 min walk, if that, from where you and I are. Thought I'd post this while I remember.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2008 9:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Have had a flat on the CB for about 6 years now but have recently bought a house in a lovely area to retire to.  Hope to move across in about 18 months time but watching the pounds fly out the window with our UK house losing value by the day may change our plans.  NO, NO, I am moving over in Feb 2010 and nothing will stop me.  Even if my UK house is worth 50p by then, I will still move over.  The constant rain here (not today, for a change, but forecast for tomorrow) will def make me want to move.
We went shopping on Sunday (our freezer had given up the ghost) and we had to put coats on (not your piddly little plastic over thingies but real, pukka gen overcoats) due to the extremely cold wind,  IN THE MIDDLE OF JULY, FGS.  The previous weekend, we had been relaxing round the swimming pools on our complex complaining that it was too hot to walk the 500 yards to the pub. 
Anyway, have you retired permanently in Tenerife?  Apart from the shopping, how do you like it there?  I haven't been to Tenerife but spent a couple of weeks in Las Palmas on Gran Canaria quite some time ago.  It was very nice but, as I recall, very expensive.
Enjoy

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 10:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Taken from THE COASTRIDER

Hot deals in cool Iceland

After what seems like an eternity of waiting, Iceland in Torrevieja has finally opened its doors to the eagerly awaiting public. On opening day, queues formed outside as early as 7.30am and in the few weeks since, staff have been working tirelessly to keep shelves stocked as thousands of shoppers fill their trollies full of goodies.
We called into the store this week to have a chat with Store Manager, Adrian Tipper. Adrian told us, “We’re delighted with the response. We had an inkling it would be busy, and we weren’t wrong.”
Adrian has been with Iceland in the UK for over 11 years and has now brought his wealth of experience to Overseas Supermarkets, the import company which has the rights to Iceland here in Spain. Adrian spent the last year in the Tenerife Iceland store and has been involved in the Torrevieja store right from the initial stages of recruiting the current team of staff.
The store is now open from 9am until 8pm Monday to Saturday and for the summer months, on Sundays between 10am and 6pm. In store, you’ll find over 7,500 guaranteed British products and amongst those are all your old favourites from the UK and Ireland. Big brand names mingle with Iceland’s excellent own range as well as products from Waitrose, giving shoppers a huge choice of quality and value products.
If there’s a particular item you are seeking but can’t find, the exceptionally friendly staff will be pleased to help and if the item isn’t in stock, staff will be happy to make a note of it for you.
Adrian said, “If we find there’s demand for a particular product, we’ll be happy to order it in for our customers. So, please do let us know.”
There are over 55 staff members in Iceland Torrevieja and the team is truly international with English, Irish, Scottish and Spanish staff pleased to help you.
Looking around the store the day we visited, the vast majority of shoppers were British and Irish but quite a few Spanish customers were also happily browsing the aisles. Adrian told us, “The Spanish customers seem to love our sweets. At Christmas time in Tenerife, the Spanish families would buy tins of chocolates and bags of other sweets – it was lovely to know we had something they enjoyed.”
Speaking to other customers around the store, the feedback was exceptionally good. Mr Gadd from Dream Hills told us, “The store is very clean. The staff are friendly. On the whole, the products are good value and the presentation is very good.”
Also with some positive feedback was Mary Bryant who lives in El Galan, “There is a very good range. It’s also wonderful to see the Waitrose products on sale.”
Ann Weston from Villamartin was without a doubt enthusiastic about Iceland. “It’s orgasmic!” exclaimed Ann, “For the first time in three years, I’ve been able to buy fresh double cream.
We can buy all the products we really missed and the prices are very good – they seem to have worked out a good exchange rate. It’s great to see all the Lloyd Grossman sauces and even the pickled walnuts – I used to have to send back to the UK for those, so it’s great to be able to pick them up here.”
Ann and her husband John have visited Iceland five times since it opened and confided that they soon might be investing in a larger freezer for their Villamartin home. John also brought up a very good point, saying, “The thing about Iceland is that you know the frozen goods are going to be transported properly, so you’ve nothing to worry about there.”
So overall, the customer feedback has been extremely positive.
I would definitely recommend paying the store a visit to see what’s on offer. A good tip one of the staff members let me in on was that usually at the end of each aisle, there are special offers on – so watch out for those!
It was great to see fresh herbs on sale in the chilled section and also you’ll find all your baking ingredients as well as cake decorating items. Back to school stationery and geometry sets are on sale, as are card making items, toys, books, cards and wrapping paper.
Christmas will be an exciting time at Iceland where you’ll find all your favourite tins of sweets and chocolates. Luxury party food especially for the festive season will be on sale as well as crackers, decorations, cards and wrapping paper. Both the special Christmas ranges from Iceland and Waitrose will also be on sale.
If you haven’t already visited Iceland Torrevieja, the store itself is located on the town’s Avenida de las Cortes Valencianas. Take the humpback bridge after the Habaneras shopping centre, pass the Aquapolis water park on your left hand side, take the third exit from the roundabout and pass GM’s cash and carry on your left. Continue 500 yards and arrive at a new roundabout, take the first exit and you are now on the main Cortes Valencianas road. At the first set of traffic lights you meet, take a right into the service lane and you will see Iceland on your right.
Breaking news: Pssssst! We’ve just heard that within the next two to three weeks, a café bar will be opening within the Iceland store.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2008 11:33 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
I'll have to see if I can follow your directions More when I am over, just to see what the store is like. I was prticularly pleased to see that they stock Waitrose things as I shop at Waitrose here in UK.

Jules

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 7:51 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Directions for Jewels50 and Jules

From the 332 you exit at Torrevieja (look for the brightly coloured witches hat on the right hand side of the road, you will also see signs telling you to exit here for Carrefour).

When you exit keep left and follow the road that runs parralell with the 332, you will eventually see the humpback bridge in front of you and you exit here and follow the directions given in newspaper articule

pass the Aquapolis water park on your left hand side, take the third exit from the roundabout and pass GM’s cash and carry on your left. Continue 500 yards and arrive at a new roundabout, take the first exit and you are now on the main Cortes Valencianas road. At the first set of traffic lights you meet, take a right into the service lane and you will see Iceland on your right.

To get to the Habaneras centre and Carrefour you would turn left at the first roundabout and go back over the humpback bridge.  Habaneras is straight over at the roundabout (look for signs for car parking 1st hour free) and Carrefour is first right, this brings you in the back way of Carrefour so you go right at end then first left.  At next roundabout you will see entrance to car park or you can double back on yourself and park at side of building.

Also San Pedro market on Monday is very good for fruit and veg, probably easier to access this from motorway as San Pedro has so many traffic lights.  From roundabout follow signs for Lidl and when you can see the store go into the slip road on the right and go down any side road.  1st left and park anywhere in street, the market starts here.  This is a large market and the veg stalls are in the centre.  You can stay on the main road into town and park nearer to the veg stalls but you would need to be there around 8am as this car park fills up quickly.  I've never used it I think there's a police man there directing traffice and it's before you get to the Ayunmiento.

I get there around 9 and don't have any trouble parking near the start of the market.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 8:46 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Semi, thanks for the directions to Iceland.  For fresh produce as well as San Pedro there's also a good market in Pilar on a Friday evening, where locals stock up for the weekend.  It's not as busy as San Pedro.  It doesn't have as many tourist stalls, just mainly foodstuffs and other household bits n pieces.  It's also much cooler than market shopping in the heat of the day.  I think it sets up late afternoon and we usually go around 7 and the bars and cafes are open all around when you feel like a drink.  Leave the motorway at the exit before San Pedro or follow 332.  As you drive into the main shopping area of Pilar the market is in the side streets to the left of the main road .  Parking is easy in any side street.  Happy shopping!

Jane

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 11:31 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hubby was asking me where it was as he hadn't seen my post. Semi, thanks for elaborating, I'd posted directions in my post (curteousy of Coastrider)

the store itself is located on the town’s Avenida de las Cortes Valencianas. Take the humpback bridge after the Habaneras shopping centre, pass the Aquapolis water park on your left hand side, take the third exit from the roundabout and pass GM’s cash and carry on your left. Continue 500 yards and arrive at a new roundabout, take the first exit and you are now on the main Cortes Valencianas road. At the first set of traffic lights you meet, take a right into the service lane and you will see Iceland on your right.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 1:19 PM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
Thanks More and Semi, will explore when I am over next. Roll on September!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules

Like 0      
01 Jul 2010 8:17 PM by jasky Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Can anyone tell me if there is a bus we can catch from La Mata to get to Iceland in Torrevieja?  I think the Avenida de Paris bus goes close by but not sure.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

TENNIS - 12 posts
Bob Smith - 3 posts
Avon Reps in Spain. - 5 posts
Malaga Airport Parking. - 3 posts
water for batteries? - 2 posts
Car hire advice needed - 6 posts
Cheap Car Hire - 4 posts
Schools near mazarron - 7 posts
Hola mi amigos!! - 1 posts
Rental Required €100 a week - 1 posts
Rental Required for €100 a week - all options considered, short or long term - 1 posts
We need Transport from Malaga Airport to Duquesa - 2 posts
Sorted :) - 4 posts
MRI in Mojacar shut - 1 posts
Costa Galera - long term rental - 1 posts
hey i need some help - 3 posts
Help! Major Wasp Problem - 13 posts
Garden Centres - 3 posts
aifos hacienda marina - 1 posts
NIE FOR COMPLETION - 0 posts
IBERDOLA - 2 posts
professional tiling - 0 posts
BMI Baby - 4 posts
No response from Lawyer after completing purchase - 2 posts
help - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x