anyone know what this is?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by debwal Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Last night i was woken up by my cat madly clawing away at the wall in our bedroom.  Thought that she had a moth or something, so i turned the light on and MY WORD there on the wall was a massive spider, the biggest i have ever seen. It was brown and had cream and brown stripped legs, does anyone know what this was and is it dangerous? Wish i had taken a photo of it now, but at 3a.m in the morning my main aim was to get rid of it, which my husband managed to do by picking  it up with lots of tissue and throwing it over the balcony.!!!

Like 0      
01 Jul 2008 4:06 PM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Oh my! doesnt sound very nice, sorry i cant help with the type of spider, were abouts in Spain are u?

Hope you dont have a visit from it again.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2008 9:24 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar
Really difficult without a picture, but it could be what's known as a Wolf Spider. They can have a body up to about 2cm across, but don't tend to have stripy legs, although it can sometimes look like it because of their different coloured "knees". With their legs at full stretch (possibly while trying to escape from a cat !!) they can be around 10cm across.

Here's the chap:

The bite from a wolf spider can be very painful although not dangerous (unless you are allergic).  Not much reassurance at 3.00am in the morning I know !!

Alternatively, the only other "nasty" spider in Spain is the Brown Recluse Spider or Fiddleback (because it has a mark on it's back that looks like a violin. Although once again, I guess you weren't really investigating it that closely at 3.00am !! It probably wasn't this one as they are generally a lot smaller and definately single colour.

Neither spider are fatal, but both can be quite painful.

Next time (!) go and get your camera, and take a picture with it on your hand to get a sense of scale !!........ only joking.... Wolf Spiders can be quite aggressive if provoked.

Regards

Like 0      
01 Jul 2008 10:31 PM by debwal Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Thank you SophieRF and Double J for your posts.  SophieRF I live in mijas costa, costa del sol, (was u hoping that I wasnt your neighbour. Ha) I have lived here for three years and visited the costa del sol for about nine years and I have never seen a spider like this before, even on my travels around the world!!  Double J , I also thought that this spider might have been the Wolf Spider as it fitted the description that I researched on the net.  But I thought that these were native to the usa and not spain. Glad to hear that they are not too dangerous as I have been on tenderhooks all day looking for maybe it`s  fellow friends!!!!  

We are planning to move to Florida next year, so I have to ge used to this kind of wildlife!

Thanks again 

Debs

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spanish reg seat Ibeza 1.2 for sale in uk - 3 posts
Passengers on scooters - 3 posts
moving with babies - 0 posts
Financial situation of a particular estate agent - 2 posts
Hi from Alan & Elaine - 0 posts
Ocean Symphony?? - 3 posts
Could this be the beginning of an "action group" - 0 posts
Jane - 9 posts
LHD BMW FOR SALE IN COSTA DEL SOL VERY LOW MILEAGE - 5 posts
polargmd its a 100% a rip off and illegal - 0 posts
Orthodontics Treatment for Children - 2 posts
Spanish Car for sale - 0 posts
Calling all you keen gardeners - growing a lemon tree on the balcony - 2 posts
Torrevieja villa 23rd - 28th Sept wanted - 0 posts
Assistance Required - 5 posts
Panorama Real Estate Marbella - 3 posts
Wasted Journey - 15 posts
Rental licences - 6 posts
Breach Of Contact - 0 posts
Breach Of Contact - 2 posts
Hoping to have sold house...... - 4 posts
ADVICE - ROAD TO ONTINYENT VIA AP7 (ALTEA?) - 0 posts
Blogs log you out of EOS - 3 posts
Moving bits and bobs to Spain - 3 posts
Hello.. another new member! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x