advice needed for single mum

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2008 12:00 AM by jacquilm Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi there,
My name is jacqui, im 27 and a single mum. At the moment i work in administration and own my house. I have been toying with the idea of moving abroad for a year or so now and just recently i have decided that its something i would definitely love to do.  I am giving myself a year or so to learn the language and save up. I have decided that Algorfa is the place i would like to move to. What i want to know, is...is it easy to find employment in admin or should i consider retraining before i move over? schooling for my son, he will be 4 when we move, is it easy enough to get into the system? i have looked at the cost if renting and the costs of living...how much realistically should i save up before i come across as i would not be selling my house in the UK as i couldnt afford to get back on the ladder. I am looking for this to be a long term move and if it means saving up for an extra year or two to do it, then that would be what i would do, so thats really my main question, how much would i need to come across with.
I am getting rather excited about this, i would love to do this when im young enough and brave enough to do it. leaving everything youve known in the UK is a big step, but im not happy here. i know its not going to be easy and would have to get a job whilst my son was at school in spain, but as long as it covered my costs of living i wouldnt care what i was doing. 

Like 0      
30 May 2008 4:58 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi jACQUI,
As a resident of Algorfa i can vouch for all the amenities around and the school is great,to get into the schooling system takes about a week from first application to getting them behind a desk,as well as doing it with my own i have just helped a client get their 7 year old sorted with the school.doctors etc.
Work,well thats a more difficult question,not easy and being a single mum and the way the spanish schooling system works you will have a problem working around school hours unless you have a support network here.
For example Algorfa school children school hours are 9.00-12.30 then home 3.30-5.00 then home,as of next week they dont go back in the afternoon as its too hot,as of the middle of jume then its holidays untill the 2nd week of september,you really have to think about how you are going to handle this and work around it.
I know where your motivations are because i hear them everyday from people who want to take their children out of the country and give them a better life but make sure you are financially prepared.
There is an old addage,"how do you leave spain with a million Euros?" answer "bring 2 million with you!"
If you are thinking of renting then you will probably need about 400-500€ per month for rent plus living expenses(water,electric,comm fees) another 150€ per month,then add your petrol,and associated living costs.
There is absolutely no doubt that your child (and you) will benefit but you have to make sure you can support this move finacially,i always advise people to bring at least 1 years buffer to live on to give you a chance of making it.
I admire your courage and wish you all the best.
Regards
Georgia

Like 0      
30 May 2008 5:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
And our "Georgia" is so damn cute, Jacqui  I've met him many times. 

Good luck with your plans.

Like 0      
30 May 2008 6:52 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
 more,your making me blush,will see you shortly as i think you are out soon................
We should have a EOS meet as i think there are a few of the members out in this area in the next few weeks,i know of Morerosado,Patpur,Acapulco,Troythecat and of course the residents hee on the CB so that could make an interesting evening....................

Like 0      
31 May 2008 9:25 AM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Hi jacquilm, 
Listen to Georgia, he gives sound advice and follow your dream. While you are saving learn some Spanish cos you will need it in any job.
Lots of luck, keep in touch.

Georgia, a 'big' meet sounds good.........................not on a Monday evening tho please !!               

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
31 May 2008 9:29 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Georgia, a BIG MEET sounds good to me. YOU organise one, for a change, & just ring me to say where & when.

(Not Monday evening, obviously !!!)

HI JACQUI, 
WELCOME TO EOS. AS KAREN SAYS, FOLLOW YOUR DREAM. GOOD LUCK FROM ME TOO.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/31/2008.

Like 0      
31 May 2008 10:26 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
I would love to meet you all - have been on the forum for a while now but am newly resident in Orihuela Costa.  Would be great to put faces to all the names!!

Like 0      
31 May 2008 11:36 AM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Hi Jacqui yes follow that dream and dont rush it, yes Georgia a met sounds great (not on a mon or thursday 26th June as we and  Karen have something on that day) Regards Pat.  

Like 0      
31 May 2008 12:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Patpur, what are you & Karen doing 26th June that doesn't include me ?

Like 0      
31 May 2008 1:13 PM by patpur Star rating in Castle Bromwich Bir.... 389 posts Send private message

Hi More Karen has come up with a nice little coach trip to Valencia on the thurs 26th.Regards Pat.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 1:22 PM by jacquilm Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thankyou everyone, i have decided to aim for 2010 as that gives me plenty of time to save up and learn spanish. Everyone seems really nice and welcoming. im sure i will be posting alot in the future as the time comes closer.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 12:12 AM by jules1 Star rating in St Ives, Cambridgesh.... 264 posts Send private message

jules1´s avatar
Hi Jacqui. Just to add my best wishes for your success in following your dream! Go for it !!

Good luck with the second language learning. I am trying to learn Spanish too and use a programme called visual links spanish which I am finding very good, If you put the name into google it will come up and you can try out their method for free to see if it suits you before buying the disc. Hope you find this helpful.

Julia

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 10:23 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Hi Jacqui

I wish you all the best for the future too.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 10:32 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi flossy mate. How're doing, come on messenger soon.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2008 10:37 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Hi More
I'm fine thanks

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NEWS FLASH - 8 posts
Accommodation needed for 3 nights stay in Alta Entinas/Porto Fino. - 0 posts
Accommodation needed for 3 nights stay in Alta Entinas/Porto Fino. - 0 posts
Changes to Townhouse Location by Developer - 4 posts
Castle Link Villa - 2 posts
Newcastle,Murcia, and Alicante Flights. - 3 posts
Child Travelling in Front Seats - 3 posts
Accommodation needed for 3 nights stay in Alta Entinas/Porto Fino. - 1 posts
Parra Mellado Developers, Huercal Overa, Almeria - 22 posts
Jet 2 winter season to Murcia released - 7 posts
completion problems - 3 posts
Can we do this??? - 5 posts
subrogation fees - 8 posts
jackoi - 5 posts
Any lawyers in Duquesa that will help make our Will - 5 posts
?what is happening with Dona Julia golf developments in Casares costa, Malaga. - 12 posts
Bouncy castle - 0 posts
take UK television to spain - 0 posts
What is the situation if promised bank guarantees were not obtained? - 15 posts
Bank Guarantee - 1 posts
rental companies - 1 posts
Facebook - 42 posts
taxes - 2 posts
hi - 4 posts
First Stay In Our Apartment - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x