Can we do this???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2008 12:00 AM by mhenders Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi all,

We've been toying with the idea of moving to Spain on and off for a while. Now that a possible job has come up we are seriously looking at going if it's offered. The company is based in Terrassa, 30km north of Barcelona.

So here I am vigorously searching the www for any information about upping sticks with a wife a 3 year old and a new baby and moving lock, stock and two smoking to Catalonia. All the sites I search seem to use the same written source, saying exactly the same thing but in a different font, which is fine ,I know about registering for this and applying for that, but what about all the stuff before hand??? I mean, say they offer me a place, how long does it take to sort out the move? I would think a while, so OK, lets begin the ball rolling before the offer.... go over and find a place? I have some holiday but no spare cash! Go over on my own and start work to begin with? Then i need to pay a mortgage here and rent there! Where do I start???Clearly I'm going to need some money to begin with, but how much??

I've got so many questions, I don't really know where to begin.......we don't want to sell the house yet just in case it doesn't work out, so we are looking at renting long term to begin with on the wage that comes in. The job I'm going for is an ordinary paid job no high flying income, but it's unusual, so I have a good chance of getting it. Can I just transfer myself and family to Spain or do we need a large chest full of euros’ (which we don't have!) to even start? So how viable is it to move to Spain with a family a job offer and no abundance of spare cash?????

Any pointers towards a sites, blogs with nitty gritty information OR if anybody on here can share their experience of moving with the family that would be great.

Thanks for listening to confused rantings of a sleep deprived man

Mark

This message was last edited by mhenders on 5/28/2008.

Like 0      
28 May 2008 5:00 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Terrassa is in a lovely area not too far from Barcelona.  The town itself is an industrial town but has 3 lovely churches in the centre and hosts a jazz festival every summer. 
Now, upping sticks altogether.  My view, for what it's worth, is that you should go for it in rented accommodation.  I think this area may be a bit more expensive to rent or buy than most of us are used to on the Costas, purely because there is not as much available.  You may be better off looking at rentals on the outskirts of Barcelona and commuting.  Trains take about 40 minutes from Barcelona.
Again, IMHO, selling up in UK and moving over lock, stock and barrel, may not be such a good idea as you might find it a/ difficult to get a good price in UK at the moment, and b/ you would have to get back on the market in UK if it didn't work out.  I would suggest that you would need enough behind you to exist for 6 months (rent, living expenses) to make it viable.  It would, however, be a great shame to miss out on this opportunity this presents for yourself and your family.  A 3 year old would be ideal as they would not yet be in the education system but would be able to start mixing in and have a great start when they eventually start school.  The education system in Spain is excellent and they would have a great start in life with the added bonus of probably becoming bilingual from an early age.
Remember that they will need a different immunisation schedule to start school in Spain as opposed to UK, for example, Hep B vaccines are required in Spain which aren't normally given in UK as a childhood immunisation.
If you can a/ afford it and b/ bear missing the kids (and missus) for extended periods, go over and rent until you have settled in.  A bit later, you may find they can join you and you could rent out your house in UK to cover the mortgage payments (make sure you get a good agent who will look after the property for you).
Worst case scenario is that you will refuse the job because of the financial aspects and, in years to come, regret the fact that you didn't take the chance when you could. 
I moved overseas with my family when my first daughter was 1 year old and came back to UK when she was 18.  (Not all in the same country, I hasten to add).  My youngest daughter was born in Cyprus and she was 15 when we came back to UK.  I was in the fortunate position of having a steady income all that time but I am so glad that we did it.  My only regrets are that both kids went to non-local schools so didn't get to pick up the languages as they mixed with British kids only.  That, looking back, would be one thing I would change.
I have now been back in UK permanently for 15 years after spending 25 years abroad.  I am now looking to early retirement and moving to Spain as I am rather disillusioned with the UK and look on my time overseas as giving me a far better quality of life, plus making more lasting friendships, than I am getting in the UK.
It's your life and only you can make up your mind on what you want to do.  I don't know how old you are but, if you have a job waiting for you and you like the area, go for it and see how it pans out.  I do, however, think you shouldn't burn your bridges and should have a bit of cash to fall back on as Spain is not renowned for it's generosity on the wages front.  But what an opportunity to grasp if you can.

Like 0      
28 May 2008 6:07 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Hi Mhenders,
                          been to Terrassa on business a couple of times a few years ago. I recall having a couple of very nice meals at different restaurants. Seemed like a decent little town.
I see your problem,it is hard to know where to start.I think you need to knowyou have the job first and then I am sure your new employer will be able to help you a lot.
Good luck.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
28 May 2008 11:52 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Hi Mark

How exciting for you and at the same time how daunting. We've just arrived in Spain (less then 2 weeks ago) after a year of planning the move. I have been writing a blog of our experiences which you may wish to take a look at, the link is in my signature.

Having got here, I am continuing to write my blog as a way of keeping family and friends up to date and also to keep as a record of our experiences. 

I have to say our initial thoughts are that we have done the right thing, especially when we have glorious sunshine today and Sheffield has been cold and rainy.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
29 May 2008 10:06 AM by mhenders Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your honest and helpful replies. 

Bobaol you have just confirmed my own thoughts about the whole situation. The easy bit is deciding to go
(with a job in place, naturally) now the hard bit is working out how to afford it, whilst hanging on to a property over here, if only for a while as a safety net. Our biggest barrier, it seems, is turning out to be finance.

Opportunities like this don’t come round that often in a persons life, if at all, and I know I would be forever saying ‘’what if’’ If we don’t at least try.

So as Acapulco says, first stop the employer, got to get the job first eh!

Jacqui, thanks for your support and the link to your blog, I will be reading that as soon as I press send.

Mark

Like 0      
29 May 2008 12:20 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

You asked about Blogs from people who have upped sticks to move to Spain.

I'm sure I read on this forum about a family who had moved from America to somewhere outside Valencia, unfortunately it hadn't worked out for them as they ran out of money.  This might be useful to you but we'll need some help to locate the acual articule.

I'm hoping that Morerosada will read this as her memory is definately better than mine.  I think she created the link on here but then again I've been wrong before!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

subrogation fees - 8 posts
jackoi - 5 posts
Any lawyers in Duquesa that will help make our Will - 5 posts
?what is happening with Dona Julia golf developments in Casares costa, Malaga. - 12 posts
Bouncy castle - 0 posts
take UK television to spain - 0 posts
What is the situation if promised bank guarantees were not obtained? - 15 posts
Bank Guarantee - 1 posts
rental companies - 1 posts
Facebook - 42 posts
taxes - 2 posts
hi - 4 posts
First Stay In Our Apartment - 6 posts
disabled needs - 6 posts
Late Completion - 3 posts
OUR FAVOURITE MUSIC VIDEOS - 130 posts
how long? - 6 posts
Baby equipment hire - Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Motocross - 12 posts
KIA SORRENTO - 0 posts
Bichon frise pups for sale - 0 posts
Help Need Information - 5 posts
SERVIRED WEBSITE IN ENGLISH. FIND YOUR NEAREST ATM IN SPAIN. - 1 posts
Veranda Al-Andalus - Keymare - 27 posts
Defra Website must read when contemplating bring pets to Spain - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x