Selling UK property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar
Not sure if this is the right discussion area but I am really keen to know if any of you who are resident in Spain have sold a house in England after you became resident. Did you have to declare the sale to the hacienda and if so did you have to pay any Spanish tax. Is there any other issues to consider when doing so.

My position is that I will be living in Spain soon so need to decide whether to sell up my main residence in England before arriving in Spain or not.

Cheers
Chris

Like 0      
15 May 2008 9:56 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

That is a good question.

We are in a simillar position in that we will soon be moving to Spain and am in the process of getting the UK property ready to be put on the market.

So, as you have already asked, is it better the sell the UK property 1st or not?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
15 May 2008 1:45 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Similar position myself. I seem to recall seeing on one of those tv programmes on buying in Spain that they said it was best to sell first and you then had a window of 3 months (?) in which to buy your Spanish property without paying capital gains tax.

Something along thgose lines anyhow.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
15 May 2008 2:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

15 May 2008 2:22 PM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

What a honest lot you are!!!

Like 0      
17 May 2008 3:49 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Am I understanding this correctly. We are in the process of moving

to spain permanently, BUT have been advised to sell our english

property before we apply for residencia so as to avoid paying capital

gains tax.Also that we need to live in spain for 5 years or could be

liable to pay CGT if we went back to england within this time.So at

the present time we are still resident in england and travelling

between the two countries.IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THIS????

GYPSY

Like 0      
14 Jun 2008 7:04 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've read the article listed by More above twice now.

I thought you were only liable for CGT if you sold a 2nd property, so if you sell your main residence then you shouldn't be paying CGT.  If you already have a home in Spain then you will have been paying Patrimonia/Renta as it is not your main residence.

Doesn't the article say that you should be liable to be taxed in the country the house is in therefore as it's your only residence in UK you'll not pay CGT.  Haven't heard about the five year rule before but then I've never been in this situation.  Must ask my friendly tax inspector next time we meet for lunch.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2008 9:21 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Hi semijubilada,
Thanks for clarifying this for me.
Will now go ahead and sell english property BEFORE we
apply for spanish residency.

GYPSY

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 7:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
"Stamp duty is to be axed for a year on properties less than £175,000, reported the BBC this morning, while households earning less than £60,000 will be offered “free” loans for five years on new houses – the latter to be funded by a mix of developers and yes…you’ve guessed it, the taxpayer!"

I can see how this might just help anyone who is trying to sell a property between £125k and £175k, by making it slightly  more attractive to buyers - but how's it supposed to help the economy in general? What about the bigger picture? Less money coming into the govt. coffers, at a time when they're likely to have increasing unemployment benefit payments etc. etc.....And what about any properties over £175k? Do we assume if you can afford to look at property above this price, you can afford to pay stamp duty?
I must be missing something. 
I've long wondered why the Spanish govt. doesn't reduce transfer tax / IVA (VAT) by, say, 50% for a temporary period, to try to stimulate the market. After all, 3.5% of something is surely better than 7% of nothing, which must be roughly how much they're getting at the moment? And on a €200k property, the saving to buyers of €7k would go a long way to furnishing that new home - or buy a brand new Dacia Logan to park outside, with 3 years warranty and servicing - now that's what I call Credit Crunch beating! 
But scrapping transfer tax (or stamp duty) altogether doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Sep 2008 3:15 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I think that it is the Government that is missing something -common sense!

Everything that they come up with seems to backfire in some way and I don't have much hope for this lastest wheeze. Did I hear mention that a Labour Party Conference was coming up ?

Like 0      
03 Sep 2008 5:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
From Money Week: (excuse me for copying and pasting, but they say it so much better than I can!)

The Government can’t hope to save the housing market

Do they honestly think they can save the housing market? With this new £175k stamp duty threshold, I feel sorry for anyone who is struggling to sell a property currently valued at £250k. Before you can say party political broadcast, they’re going to be getting a whole load of offers at £175k, plus some cash for curtains and white goods.

Interest-free loans to help low earners to get on the housing ladder! If they’re low earners, why are you trying to get them into debt? That is highly irresponsible, is it not? How will they pay that debt back? They might go on to become high earners, yes, but then they might not - and with this lot in charge of the economy the latter is more likely – and what then? This is imprudent lending – the very cause of the problem.

The cure for the property crisis

It’s so simple. Why not just let prices fall to a level which people can afford? The excesses of the previous 14 years are purged and trade will begin again. That is the cure for all this: lower prices. Why do they feel the need to interfere all the time?

Interest-free loans are highly inflationary. Labour is attempting to save the housing market at the expense of the currency. It is attempting to bail out debtors, when it is their very excesses that created this mess. Why not bail out those who saved instead? Why should the prudent have had their savings value eroded by 15% in one year because of their leaders’ incompetence? 

There's more in the same article about Sterling's decline, but maybe that would be best posted on the "will the exchange rate ever go up?" thread.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Driving to Spain from England - 12 posts
Wanted Baby safety/stair gate - Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Internet Access? - 53 posts
free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x