Driving in Spain book
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar
I'm planning on driving to Murcia from England and am not sure if it's best to drive through France or to get the ferry to Santander or Bilbao. Has anyone tried both and has a preferred route or if anyone has any advice that would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 12:48 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Look through the old threads on this message board for discussions on the same topic. Seems to basically come down to a matter of personal choice. Some people hate the boat, others (including myself) hate tolls every five minutes and French food! The boat is expensive, but does save you fuel and accomodation costs, and cuts down your driving time. If you do go through France, check out Etap Hotels (http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml) part of the Accor group. Good, cheap lodgings along all the main routes.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 7:28 AM by noneck Star rating in Los Alcazares. 7 posts Send private message

It is a Matter of choice. However i travel the rout every six to eight weeks. If you want to avoid tolls then you can, but obviously it will be quicker using them. But there is a cost for that.

I come from the Midlands and usually go from Portsmouth to le havre. Then go through France towards Le Mans, then Tours, then Poitiers then, Bourdeaux. You can avoid the Toll if you wish, or you can get on the toll almost all the way down.

Then cross the Pirinies through the Somport tunnel towards Jaca in Spain. Then pick up the signs for Huesca ,Zaragoza, Teruel, Velencia......there is now a free Motorway all the way to Valencia. From Valencia you will pick up the signs to Murcia A7 still all Motorway.

Noneck

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 1:43 PM by Jontee Star rating in Jardine 11. 103 posts Send private message

Hi Noneck being as you drive over so regularly to Spain I wonder if you could give us an overall cost and the time involved. Would be very interested to know this as we have never driven over yet but might need to in the future.

John

John & Val

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 11:57 PM by noneck Star rating in Los Alcazares. 7 posts Send private message

Jontee,

The cost depends on your vehicle, and wich way you go. I go back for my bussines  so cost matters.

Therefore i go what i think is the cheepest way. Usually from Costa Calida where i am, back to the Midlands is about 1000 Euro return. But if use the tolls then it is more.......but i do have a big Van, so a car will be less. Usually because i have the dog, i am limmited to go through France.

The way i said before is about the best on average!! No tolls, good route,for the cost.

However if you dont have any animals, then if its cheep enough on the day, Portsmouth to Bilbao is good.

One day to Costa Calida from Bilbao about 10 hrs... but from France to spain its two days

Pete 

Like 0      
10 Apr 2008 3:05 PM by dpalmer Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi
Took the dog to Almerimar last summer check my blogg tab on www.beachholiday-spain.com and there is a link to a timed spreadsheet via france and bacelona  - I think it was 21 hours actual travel time we did it in 3 days going 4 days return to fit in with the dogs injections; but some do it in two days
Understand the ferry allows dogs on deck ... but expensive
David

Like 0      
15 Apr 2008 11:17 PM by BlueChip Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I drove to Alicante last weekend to deliver our car for the Summer, flew back on Monday evening.

Took the Norfolk Line ferry to Dunkirk on Thursday evening and picked up a cheap hotel. Early start Friday to get through Paris before the Friday afternoon rush and arrived in Clermont Ferrand at about 1600. Could have easily driven a few hours more.

Next day left at 8.30 motorway all the way to Barcelona and then down the coast to Javea arriving at 1900.

My Mondeo averaged 46mpg at average over 70mph and we stopped every few hours for a break and coffee.

I used the Viamichelin.com web site to plan the route. This site allows you to choose the route depending on preferences and will calculate exact costs including fuel and tolls and work out the timings. Its a brilliant site and will even print out the driving instructions..

My recommendation is to buy or borrow a TomTom with euro maps and speed camera alerts, it makes circuiting Paris on the periphery so easy and the speed cam alerts probably saved us a fine or two

All in cost door too door including Ferry, 2 nights in hotels, all meals for two and fuel was 451 euros

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 3:33 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar

For those who don't want to drive on the Péripherique around Paris at any time of day or night, try the A86.  It's a sort of outer ring road.  Just be careful you don't end up on the road out to EuroDisney (Marne la Vallée) instead of the road to Calais!

Diane

This message was last edited by Diane and Joe on 4/16/2008.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2009 6:47 PM by mattywix Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I know this thread is over a year old, but I was wondering if I travel from England to Spain over December if I need to take chains for my tyres (for a car) or if the motorways and route thru the Pyrenese is pretty good

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 9:22 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

take them just in case would be my opinion although if you go the route down the eastern half of france missing out the millau bridge route you should be alright

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 7:38 PM by mattywix Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

No, it will be down the West as we need to hit Bilbao!

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 8:00 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

No you should be ok its pretty flat that side i presume you are going via bordeaux then down to the border crossing

Like 0      
27 Oct 2009 8:02 PM by mattywix Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Yep something like that!  I was hoping it would be ok round that way as I'll be passing thru midnight  in the middle of winter.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted Baby safety/stair gate - Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Internet Access? - 53 posts
free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts
looking for rental from 1st May - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x