Internet Access?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

We are moving out to Spain soon, and need to get on the internet urgently for my husband's work.  Has anyone got any advice/ good deals/ things to avoid, please.  We will be living on the Costa Blanca.  Thank you,  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
28 Mar 2008 6:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Personally, I prefer to stick with Telefonica. Although there are many companies offering services, some with no need to contract your telephone line from Telefonica at all, they all still have to use Telefonica's infrastructure. Hence, if Telefonica's lines are down, it makes no difference who you get your service from. Many would disagree with me, citing cheaper options to Telefonica, which may be true, but my advice is, as always, read the small print very carefully. Many of the most attractive offers only apply for the first month or two. And there are stories of people having difficulty cancelling services they are not happy with.

The standard service from Telefonica is currently 3mbps. Again, other providers offer faster connections, but I'm sceptical. There are techies on here who know more about it than me, but I think I'm right in saying that just because your provider sells you a 20mbps package, does not mean that you'll necessarily be getting any quicker connections than your neighbour who has 3Mbps from Telefonica?

And finally, beware of adverts for "Telefonica in English" or similar. They have nothing to do with the real Telefonica. If you don't speak Spanish, when you call Telefonica (1004) ask for an English speaking member of staff.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 6:50 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto - We are also moving out very shortly to the Costa Blanca area.  We'll be inland in a small town called Cox not too far from Orihuela.  Do you have any idea whether we can get internet that far inland?   Would you also mind me asking how expensive internet is in Spain?

Thanks for your help.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 6:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yes, you can get (maximum) 3Mbps from Telefonica in Cox. The ADSL is about €40 per month, plus the line rental about €18, plus IVA (VAT) total about €67 per month. Other providers, such as Ya.com, may offer better prices, and you may not have to pay line rental to Telefonica - they basically buy the line from Telefonica, so you'll only have the one bill. As I said before though, read all the small print!

If you want to check whether your area has coverage, go to http://tinyurl.com/3ytdwh and check the "Dirección" option (unless you already have a phone line, in which case you can enter your number). Click on "consultar", then onthe next screen click on your area on the map of Spain. Type in your town, click "buscar", select it from the list and click "continuar". You'll be prompted for an exact address next. For SpanishTogs, I just chose Carretera Alicante-Murcia, No.1! You'll be asked to type in a few letters as shown on your screen (to prove you're not a pesky robot!)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 8:10 PM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Hi again.  Thank you very much for that.  Sounds a bit pricey to me though, so may have to just continue using the library!   I suppose it will get cheaper as the years go by though.

Would you mind if I copied and pasted your reply into the forum for Mirador de la Vega II?   We've got a good community building there who are itching to learn. If not, no problem and good luck.

Thanks again#

Dillys

Like 0      
29 Mar 2008 9:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Before we got a Telefonica land line we were using a company called Iberbanda who supply wireless internet and phones.  They are cheaper than Telefonica but the ADSL speed isn't as quick.

I agree with Rob 100%, if you can stick with Telefonica.  We have heard many horror stories from people trying to contract telephone lines and ADSL through other companies.  All you need to do is call 1004 and just say "English" when the automated messages come up.

Best of luck.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 8:21 AM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Thank you very much for taking time to reply - appreciated.

Would you mind if I copied and pasted the text into our Mirador de la Vega II forum?  Lots of our future neighbours are also keen to learn.

If you've any further advice to impart, possibly about television suppliers - that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 11:00 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

67 Euros a month !!!!

That is a rip off .

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 5:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
SpanishTogs, of course you can copy it all to another message board.  It's still keeping it within the family!!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Mar 2008 7:10 PM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Thanks for that - will do.

Cheers

Dilys

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 6:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

SpanishTogs, you're welcome to copy any of my posts to wherever you like - assuming that's also OK with EOS!

Acapulco, 67 euros includes the line rental for telephone @ 18 euros, which unless you opt for one of the companies that have supposedly bought the line from Telefonica, and don't charge line rental, you will have to pay anyway. It also includes IVA, which you 'll have to pay (although if it's a business line, you may be able to claim back etc.) The ADSL service is about 40 euros (plus IVA), which again, you may get cheaper from another provider, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I agree, 67 euros is a lot to fork out every month, but at least I get to spend as much time as I like browsing EOS without having to go to the library!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 7:10 PM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Muchas Gracias para su ayuda !!  (That's my limit!)

Have pasted it into Mirador de la Vega II.

Cheers

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 3:18 PM by lampy Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

We are in the province of Almeria and we went through a company called Servcom who deal with Iberbanda (we had to get to a satellite connection as no land lines available where we currently live) the cost is €45 per month plus iva.  its called an AVIpack with a speed of 512kbps including free telephone line rental and 300 minutes of free calls within spain per month.  You do have to sign up to a contract of I think 1 year but we were told that no penalty is given if you send an email to Iberbanda to advise of cancellation request.

We have had no problems at all with this service and find the speed fast enough for our needs.  A word of warning some companies who advertise a satellite telephone and internet charge in excess of €240 for installation and then the monthly fees starting from €40.  I know of someone who had one such company fit his connection and they are always losing the connection and say they have had a lot of attempts by hackers to get into their computer.  (I am not into computer jargon so dont knowif hacker is the right name or how they know someone is trying to get into their computer)

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 3:31 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The problem we used to have with Iberbanda was that because it became so popular as more and more people moved into the area, the transmitters became overloaded and it used to grind to a halt all the time.

It's a wonder I ever got any work done in those days!!  Mind you, I was desperate back then and even a dial up would have been a god send.

Justin

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 3:36 PM by SpanishTogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

Thanks very much for that.  Would you mind me copying and pasting it into our forum thread on Mirador de la Vega II?   It certainly sounds a lot more viable that the Telifonica.  The trouble is that when you add the cost of television onto that it's getting a bit pricey - or maybe I'm just tight!

We are actually due to complete on our apartment on 23 April and getting really excited about it now.  Have you been out there a long time?   We have so much to learn, but we're getting there bit by bit!

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to reply and if you could let me know if you wouldn't mind me pasting the essential bits re internet in, I'm sure our new neighbours will be very interested as some of them will be relying on internet as part of a business venture I believe.

Cheers

Dil

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 4:32 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

02 Apr 2008 6:22 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
I agree totally with Roberto. If Telefonica offer ADSL in your area, go for it. It is more reliable than most of the other service providers. Iberbanda, in my opinion, is the next best option if Telefonica is not possible.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 10:13 AM by moondancer Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I cannot have a land line as when my urb was built telefonica only put in an exchange capable of holding 10 lines for a development of 42 houses (foresight is a wonderful thing!). Anyway as one of the last houses to be occupied the exchange was full by the time I requested a line.

In my stupidity I went for an infrared modem through orange. What a disaster. I had the thing for 3 weeks then it packed up. I took it back to the shop and they said they had to send it off to be fixed. That was 6 weks ago and they still cannot tell me when I can have it back. I was told it would take 10 days for the repair. I have since tried to cancel subscription as as far as I am concerned they have broken their contract by not providing me with the service I have contracted. They refused to give me a substitute whilst mine was being repaired.

Apparently I can only cancel the contract if I pay them 180€ even though it is them that have not fulfilled the terms of the contract. I told them that this was tantamount to blackmail but they dont care. I call the shop every week but to date I still dont have internet.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 10:19 AM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
moondancer,

Have you tried contacting Orange directly rather than just dealing with the shop? If you still don't get any satisfaction from them, go to the shop again and ask for the complaints book. It's amazing how quicly things can be resolved once an official complaint is made (or even just by asking for the book). It is unacceptable that you have been waiting more than 6 weeks, without any kind of update.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 11:59 AM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
I fully sympathise with your problems concerning your dealings with Orange. I have had similar problems with them in the UK and have found that they totally disregard the law, as they are a law unto themselves. My problems arose with a virus that affected my phone. I had been with Orange as a business customer. I wrote to them to cancel the contract and quoted the section that applied to me namely:
I wish to draw your attention to the Nokia 6600 booklet a supplied with the phone, at my initial contract approximately 16 months ago, where it states, under, Pay Monthly Terms and Conditions, the heading ‘Reference’ Section 4 ‘Your rights to terminate your contract’, Sub section 4.1, “You may terminate your Contract to expire anytime after the Minimum Term by giving us at least one month’s written notice”, and for definition of ‘Minimum Term, please refer to Section 1, “the period of 12 months commencing on the date of Registration”.
Orange replied that it did not matter what the contract read as far as they were concerned I had to pay a £200 cancellation fee or risk being taken to court. I chose court but they didn’t pursue, rather they reported me as a bad debtor and totally wiped out my credit rating! Eventually I was forced to pay up in order to use normal banking but will never use Orange or any of their companies again.
Internet connection can be expensive but if only short term use is required you could try Vodafone in Spain for a USB modem that does not work by contract.

Daveil

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

free prescriptions? - 3 posts
Will the EX Rate ever go back up? - 270 posts
Help with Subrogated Mortgage Info - 19 posts
25 thousands here! - 6 posts
Barbeques - 4 posts
english teachers in almeria - 0 posts
coming to almeria - 4 posts
some advice please - 1 posts
Repayment of Deposits - 3 posts
Buying Agents ??? - 17 posts
Manilva/Sotogrande "Disneyland" - 2 posts
Arenal Golf, Benalmadena - 8 posts
Reaching the 25 thousands!! - 5 posts
recommendation for breakfast - 2 posts
Letting Agents. - 1 posts
Van Hire company - 0 posts
moving and working in spain - 2 posts
Winter in spain - 1 posts
Balcon Al Mar - 0 posts
Property network Benalmedina Spain - 0 posts
investment - 8 posts
Teguise Greens in Lanzarote - 1 posts
looking for rental from 1st May - 1 posts
Bad Smells! - 0 posts
Buses Routes - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 54

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x