Closing a bank account with Cajasur Bank

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Mar 2024 12:41 PM by holhome7980 Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

I wonder if any of the readers can help me. I have retired now and sold my holiday home in Spain. I haven't left the UK for two years and have no real desire to. We may go on foreign holidays again but I don't feel any immediate need to. When I sold my holiday home in Spain there was a small balance in my Cajasur bank account which I reduced to just a few cents by making an online transfer. I then wrote to Cajasur asking them to close the account as having sold the property, paid all taxes etc I no longer needed a Spanish bank account. They replied that we needed to attend in person to arrange this. I advised that we were now back in the UK, had no intention of going back to Spain and that surely they couldn't be insisting in this day and age that two pensioners (joint bank account) would need to undertake two international flights simply to close an account with about 30 cents in it.

This correspondence batted back and forth for about 6 months or more until eventually one member of staff said she would take this up with her superiors to try and get a decision. Again I heard nothing further until l sent her an email enquiring as to progress and she advised she no longer worked at my branch and someone from there would contact me in due course. I should add that I have put further funds into my Cajasur account as with the application of charges the account became overdue, possibly about 50 euros or so.

Things are still not resolved, the account is still open and when the next application of charges arrives it will go into the red again. I don't know how to resolve this. I'm only asking to close a current account. I've offered to return the bank card to them in the post and that I would cut it up in advance however the card has actually expired anyway. I don't know how to take this matter higher as I don't speak or write Spanish but I can't believe that in this day and age anyone would seriously expect two people to fly about 3500 miles or so (there and back) simply to give instructions face to face to close a bank account but that in essence is what the Cajasur staff are saying I need to do. Have they not heard of global warming and unnecessary flying taking place?

I know this might sound fantastical but this is really happening to me. How can I end this saga without going back to Andalucia. I don't have to go to my own branch but I must go to one of their branches and they are only in Andalucia.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2024 3:46 AM by theodoreevans Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Your blog gave us useful information that we can use. All of the tips in your post are great. Keep blogging fnaf

Like 0      
25 Mar 2024 6:21 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Holmome 7980 - as you say it's absurd that the bank wish you to travel all that way just to close the account (they maybe just quoting their rule book. 

Personally I reckon you've made your intentions clear, so I wouldn't bother.  The Spanish tend to be pragmatic folk so I doubt if they really expect you to do so either.

Perhaps a short email to them suggesting they just close the account and donate any surplus funds to a local charity?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hoja de reclamations - 2 posts
Disabled Person Oxygen Gas Bottles - 1 posts
INGOFERSA SL - 2024 GARRUCHA - 0 posts
Photos - 1 posts
Does anyone regret their holiday home purchase? - 9 posts
¡Hola España! Newbie Alert 🌞 - 2 posts
internet regulatory fee - 3 posts
Bad Community - Conflict of Interest - 49 posts
Finance for rustic farms - 0 posts
Being autonomo and employed at same time - 0 posts
Community fee debts - 0 posts
Newbie wanting to rent in Spain - 2 posts
Butane Gas or Electric Air Con - 1 posts
Name Ida for a girl - 1 posts
Striking similarities. - 8 posts
September 2023 NEW Inheritance tax law - 4 posts
The Best Views in Spain from EOS Members - 3 posts
Solar panels - 4 posts
Is the drawing of the land on the escritura verbally changeable? - 10 posts
Buying another spanish property - 8 posts
Temporary Residency to Permanent Residency - 13 posts
Retirement pension - 0 posts
Anyone had to file a complaint with AEAT ? - 0 posts
Spanish Personal Injuries Law Query - 1 posts
Help please - looking to move to Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x