Making a Spanish Will

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2020 6:18 PM by MontseBG Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Happy to meet you all! This is my first post. 

I am a Spanish national married to a British national. We have lived in Spain for more than 10 years, having lived in the UK previously to that. 

We are looking into making a Spanish will for our Spanish assets only, which include a property. We already have a UK will, written way back before we moved to Spain. The British will includes all worldwide assets and I wonder if it is going to cause a problem with our Spanish will.

My husband wants the British law to apply to his Spanish will, but not sure if we should redo our British will to exclude the Spanish assets?

Thanks very much for your help!

Montse

Like 0      
22 Jun 2020 7:10 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My Wife and I had a Spanish will made up some years ago. We have them written with reference to UK law, which is currently legal. Not sure how it will be affected after Dec 31st though. When doing our UK will, we found it very difficult to persuade the solicitors that our Spanish will referenced our UK will, they kept writing in the Spanish assets as "to be dealt with under Spanish law". 

Like 0      
24 Jun 2020 4:25 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

If you have a British WILL that covers ALL your worldwide assets to leave whatever to whoever why would you need any other WILL?

Like 0      
24 Jun 2020 10:07 PM by MontseBG Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

For what I gather, it is important to have a Spanish will, just for your Spanish assets, to avoid certain problems. If you only have a UK will (even if it includes worldwide assets), it will need to be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator, and also have some other legal procedures done such as having the Apostille seal of The Hague Convention. All this takes time and money. So it is much easier to have a Spanish will. But I am not an expert.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Candy CDCP 6 dishwasher machine - 0 posts
720 and other forms - 1 posts
New Years eve - 1 posts
ELS ex clients trying to get access to papers/documents - 11 posts
Pool - 6 posts
non residents tax murcia - 6 posts
Residents - 17 posts
Looking for someone to visit a Farmacia for me - 0 posts
Pesty Fruit flies/Baby Flies in your Kitchen & Fruit Bowl in Lounge/Dinning - 1 posts
Flights - 6 posts
Death of Owner - UK Based - 2 posts
Certificates of Registries and Legalizations (CRyL) - 3 posts
las palas - 10 posts
Do you need to speak Spanish when taking your car for an ITV - 6 posts
High Recommendation - 0 posts
swimming pools - 9 posts
Carpenter needed near Benahavis - 0 posts
Community fees - 15 posts
Ceramic tile marks. - 3 posts
Best Raw Food Diet for Dogs in Spain? - 0 posts
House sale - 5 posts
Return to uk - 3 posts
You haven’t seen anything yet. - 2 posts
Correos in Spain - 6 posts
Apartment shutdown - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x