Recommendations for property manager - Quatretonda and surrounding areas

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2018 4:36 PM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Dear all

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 'property manager' for a villa that will be rented as a holiday let please?

We are looking for someone to be the point of contact for guests, answer questions and handle any problems.

We are also looking for 8 x 4 pool and villa cleaning.

Look forward to any thoughts.

Many thanks

Like 0      
05 Jul 2018 5:40 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I've a fair bit of experience of Property Managers both here and the UK, but the only advice I would pass on is - don't use any of them.  The culture within the sector is corrupt, even worse than solicitors.

What I've done is use individuals with a bit of common sense, that I know and trust.  If they live close by to the property, even better.

Like 2      
05 Jul 2018 6:23 PM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Sounds like good advice! I just need to find some people in the area, so any recommendations welcome.

Like 1      
05 Jul 2018 11:20 PM by Charlie08 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I totally agree with Acer, be careful who you take on to be you property management company, we bought a villa in 2015 and inherited the management company ( basically a husband and wife from the Uk settting themselves up as a management company) they'd look after the villa for the previous owners so we thought let's keep them on, big mistake! We turned up unannounced back in 2016 to find our pool was green, you could not swim in it, when I emailed them to find out why my pool was this colour ( was paying them €70 a month for them to up keep my pool) the wife turned round and said "if you'd told us you were coming out we would of had it looking all sparkly for you" ( her words) we got rid of them straight away, unfortunately this gives the English a bad reputation in property management and we know of other friends having similar problems with their management companies. Now a very good Spanish friend of ours looks after our house and a Spanish guy tends our pool and garden no problems since. 

Like 0      
06 Jul 2018 12:05 AM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Charlie08 - thanks for your reply.

Can I ask what area you are in? Are you anywhere near the area we are looking in?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2018 9:00 AM by Charlie08 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

We're further down then you in the Costa Calida area, you may find that you have no problems with a management company as you will be renting your place out and hopefully have frequent renters so your place will be up kept, we only use ours for ourselves so aren't out as frequently, do your homework, ask other people in your area and good luck🙂

Like 0      
06 Jul 2018 10:11 AM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks Charlie

Like 0      
06 Jul 2018 1:19 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I admit my experience is largely coloured by UK where the property sector is simply corrupt.  Property Managers acting on behalf of freeholders always but allways inflate Service Charges and will never provide invoices to back-up their demands.  I've issued proceedings 3 times and won with costs on each occasion, but too many whinge & pay.

In Spain the culture is little different and unless you are really checking everything and making the occasional surprise visit you will lose out.  They all have their tame contractors and there's lots of occasions when rentals are not declared and the PM pockets the rent on short term lettings.  When you take into account the hassle, the cost of making the place rentable, the fees, the tax to pay, the wear and tear etc you need to be sure it's really worth it!

Like 0      
06 Jul 2018 2:12 PM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks acer - I must admit, I'm struggling to see an alternative if we are based in the UK and we want to rent out our villa (taking you point about it being worth it). My main concern is that guest are supported when they are there with somone on the ground who can answer questions or sort out a problem when it arises.

What I am amazed at is the lack of small business or individuals offering these services - good or bad. There are one or two when you get right on the coastal areas, but if you go 15mins or so away from these areas there seems to be nothing. I have found one or two pool cleaners only, villa cleaners are thin on the ground and property managers seem non-existent.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2018 8:20 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I understand the difficulty.  In our area most Brits tend to be retired and not interested, but there are a fair number working you might involve.  Possibly the partner of someone?  Perhaps of the pool cleaner or builder - keeping it in the family?

Like 0      
07 Jul 2018 9:32 AM by mdi18 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Good points - the pool cleaner we have found has someone who may be able to clean at a changeover.

The main sticking point (and the most important) seems to be finding someone to manage the villa and help guest whilst they are there. The last thing we would do is have someobody stay on holiday and leave them 'unsupported' in case of a problem. Most of the basic questions we would answer in a good info pack, but it's that 'in case of emergency' that's becoming a pain. There seems to be a gap in the market which when we finally retire to Spain we might fill with our own business!

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The very dark side of the Andalusian property buying p - 8 posts
Long term rental wanted - 1 posts
Inheritance tax - 24 posts
Rental Agents - 2 posts
where shall I go - 6 posts
Mulla old town housing - 3 posts
Disaster in Spain .. any help appreciated - 8 posts
Any help would be so helpful. - 5 posts
Costaluz lawyers - 8 posts
Driving licence - 2 posts
No need for dish if you have Virgin Media in U.K - 5 posts
Credit Card and Car Hire - 1 posts
personnel relationship agreement sabadell bank? - 1 posts
Long term rental - 4 posts
Translation - 4 posts
Car - 3 posts
Bank charges - 1 posts
Bankia/BMN - 42 posts
Legal intrest payment - 3 posts
travel cot - 1 posts
one way van - 4 posts
superb help from Maria L. de Castro at Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Work Permit for Egyptian Nationals in Canary Islands - 1 posts
BMN merger with Bankia issues - 20 posts
Localidad - 33 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x