Spanish Envelope sizes and postage costs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Nov 2017 7:07 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

I went to post some Christmas cards at the correos and was told that half were too big for standard normal postage rates so I was charged 1.55 each card. The other half of my cards were 6 small cards and I was told they were chargeable at 1.55 too as they were below the standard size.  This sounds so crazy to me. Has anyone else experienced this?    I was told that the standard size is 9  x  14  but the only way you can get envelopes this size is if you buy them from the correos at 35 cents each one.  I would appreciate any information or help anyone can give me regarding this as it seems outrageous.

body p

Like 0      
30 Nov 2017 8:38 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Sending mail other than official documentation , in regulated sized envelopes , has been until recent years uncommon in Spain. So expect problems. Also be prepared for envelopes in any colour than white to either incur extra charges or be refused.

Like 1      
30 Nov 2017 3:02 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thank you for the reply. Spain seems to have the strangest rules all round but l think the post office ones are the craziest lol.

body p

Like 0      
02 Dec 2017 8:26 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

it, This is not new.

When I first moved to Spain 30 years ago the standard charges only applied to envelopes or cards  : 14x9 cm. and 23,5x12 cm.  and which were white or buff,  all others have always been subject to an extra charge.

For that reason, except for really important mail never show the envelope when I buy a stamp for say UK as I know they will weigh It and make the extra charge for weight, colour size. 

After hearing that non-compliant mail might for returned to sender, I  stopped putting a return address on the reverse of the envelop so as not to make it easy for correos to return it,  if it did not comply with the rules.

PS   Just found this online  " Envelope colour: white or light colours (except blue);; Format of writing: letters between 2 and 8 mm high, not superimposed or touching each other; ...  "

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/12/2017.

Like 1      
02 Dec 2017 9:21 AM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks John that is very informative so if l just go to the post office or anot estação and ask for an international stamp, that will be equal to a basic letter rate?  And, of course, no Rte on back of letter which my correos insist upon. Then just pop in a buzon or in the post office? 

body p

Like 0      
02 Dec 2017 11:14 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ocraz.that is what I have been doing for 30 years, never had a problem and cannot remember a letter not reaching it's destination.

Like 1      
03 Dec 2017 11:32 AM by Steve C Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

for the avoidance of doubt get it checked at the post office and pay the few extra cents if needed

** EDITED - inciting **

many in UK still struggle with the small \ large envelope pricing structure for royal mail - which is why many still got to the post office get it checked and pay the correct postage

** EDITED - inciting **

This message was last edited by Steve C on 03/12/2017.

This message was last edited by Steve C on 03/12/2017.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 12/3/2017 7:20:00 PM.

Like 2      
03 Dec 2017 12:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Quote   for the avoidance of doubt get it checked at the post office and pay the few extra cents if needed

No doubt very good advice, but I do not think Steve realises that the few extra cents,  I beleive might be double the standard rate. So if is one sends a load of Christmas / greetings cards !!!!

I did say "except for really important mail"  but then I guess anyway most would sent that recorded delivery or registered.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 12:50 PM by Steve C Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

** EDITED - diverting thread **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 12/3/2017 7:13:00 PM.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 1:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Come on Steve.

As I said, who in their right mind would send anything which was vaguely a tadd important, by normal post, no matter how much they put on in stamps, in the misguided hope that it would stand any more chance of arriving, than with just a standard rate stamp  !

Like 1      
03 Dec 2017 1:42 PM by Steve C Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

johnzx

no matter what you send use the appropriate method for your post (standard, recorded, courier etc.) and pay the appropriate postage fee simple really and the best way ti check the fee is at the post office

** EDITED - off thread **

The only risk free system is hand deiiver it yourself

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 12/3/2017 7:17:00 PM.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 2:03 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Have used both methods because sometimes time is of an essence and the queue in Correos been toooooo long.

In 10 years have never lost a letter sent from Spain but several "supposedly" sent here  from UK are still awaiting arrival. 

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 2:07 PM by Steve C Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

floella

good point o looooooong queues and I am sure many have had similar experiences in Spain, the UK and other places they have lived or visited

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 6:51 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

John/Steve

I apologise as l seem to have caused a bit of confliction with .my post question.

The reason l asked in the first place is that l took 6 Christmas cards to the post office and becausee a couple were bigger and others were smaller than their standard norm they charged me 9 euros 60. I am  certain this was indeed double or more the standard charge.

As this was only the first batch of cards to be sent,  l wanted a cheaper option. I appreciate all the responses.

body p

Like 0      
03 Dec 2017 7:00 PM by Steve C Star rating. 66 posts Send private message

ocraz

no need to apologise and you did the righ thing despite having to pay a bit more.

There nay be a cheaper option but i do not know one. You could try some of the Englsh shops as soem do offer a postal servcie

please don't gamble like others do and just becasue they say it has worked for them does not mean it will work for you and it would be awful if you lost out ** EDITED - inciting **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 12/3/2017 7:19:00 PM.

Like 1      
03 Dec 2017 7:11 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Actually, assuming all your 6 cards were for UK think you paid the going rate regardless of the size.

Only this week I posted 2 forms back to UK. Both  in the same standard white business size envelopes  and the cost was €1.55 & € 1.25  Total €2.80. 

Postage is expensive these days and my and your mail would have been sent 1st class without our asking.

Like 1      
03 Dec 2017 8:29 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thank you both.

Floella l was told l was paying extra because of the sizes of the envelopes but did say if l want to buy the correct size envelope it would cheaper. However the envelopes would cost 35 cents each.

I will  find out tomorrow when l go to post the standard letter envelopes l purchased in the imprenta for just 10 cents each. I have put the smaller Christmas cards inside these. The larger ones l will have to decide about.

Will keep you updated.

body p

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rubbish tax - 3 posts
Private schools Costa del sol! - 0 posts
Innocent Brits to be evicted from their homes. - 79 posts
Spain-based British professional scammers, stay alert - 0 posts
Spanish Legal System - 33 posts
Spanish license renewal - 7 posts
Rental - 2 posts
car transfer - 2 posts
ryno stan - 0 posts
Almeria villages / recommendations - 74 posts
Caixa Bank Seldom Answering Phone or Emails - 5 posts
Denuncia - 8 posts
Spanish Reg in the UK - 8 posts
passport pics - 5 posts
No Community fees? urbanization? - 8 posts
Radio Control Aircraft club - 0 posts
Are we just dreamers..... - 11 posts
introductions - 1 posts
TAX REFUND - 0 posts
Hi All - 0 posts
Zahara de los Atunes - 1 posts
Committee members voting at the AGM - 19 posts
Rip off charges by Caixa Bank !! - 30 posts
Land in Valencia - 9 posts
Tracing a taxi driver - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x