Football Violence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2016 8:40 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Lets put the cat amongst the pigeons.......

Many year ago a deranged gunman in Dunblane killed a number of children which was terrible. The result of this tragedy was that 'gun clubs' had to close and people who like to shoot were barred from carrying out their hobby. I also believe that the U.K. Olympic shooting team were deprived of getting more talent because of the ban on clubs.

Now lets look at football..... There is violence every week that a match takes place, people have been killed because of the team that they 'supported'. There is a massive amount of police time and money spent on keeping rival 'fans' apart. We are still seeing the unedifying sight of so called fans in foreign lands brawling and rioting with the local security forces. Surely it is now overdue that soccer should be curtailed.

It is also obscene that tax payers money is being given to these players who prance around the pitch for 90 odd minutes once or twice a week and are paid millions for their attendance at the 'game' . It is taxpayers money because the BBC (which is funded by taxpayers) pays astronomical amounts to screen a match. Also the likes of ITV and Sky pay even greater amounts of money so these prima donnas can strut their stuff in front of the cameras.

Why is it that other sporting events both local, national and international do not attract the same violence from their supporters as does football. Once again surely for the sake of sanity football should be removed from our screens and that instead of paying these 'stars' their astronomical salaries this money should be spent on the police, security and education to show that violence against another supporter is counter productive. Also the money paid to these stars does not find its way to the tax man as all clubs employ/use top accountants/financial advisers to try and make sure that this money stays with the player rather than going to the tax man.

As I said at the beginning, in any other 'sport' if there was the same amount of violence and death associated with matches it would be closed down or at least severely curtailed. Bring football back to basics and only have it on a minimum income. If we lose the international players, so what. Keep it a national 'game' and do not have these foreign players taking our home grown players places and then eventually, maybe, the country could have a team we all could be proud of.

I know I am going to get a lot of the opposite opinion but before you comment ask yourself this question...are you proud to be British when you see the so called fans rioting in France? (Provoked or not)

p.s. I am timing how long it is before the barrage begins............

This message was last edited by steone on 14/06/2016.

Like 3      
14 Jun 2016 10:45 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Your second paragraph is completely wrong steone, the Premiership and Championship clubs, along with strong police partnerships, have all but eradicated this type of sensless stupidity. I wager that the worst UK protagonists are (so called) followers of lower and none league clubs. I will not name any football clubs as that would be unfair on their law abiding supporters, but their thugs do most of their thuggery at away matches, this is why England on tour is so popular with them. If these idiots never use supporters club transport and ticket offices how are they supposed to be identified until they cause mayhem, mainly outside football stadia. If the police step over the line they are pilloried by the gutter press and left wing supporters, they are on a hiding to nothing.

What is interesing is that the circa 150 Russian hooligans are reported to be very well trained, this reminds me of the bad old days of English football when 'meetings' of rival gangs of thugs were pre- arranged. This would be very difficult to arrange say close to Old Trafford, when my son and I used to travel there to support our club we parked up at a business contact of mine on Trafford Park Road, we then strolled to the ground. Every car park was stewarded, there was no on street parking and the police presence would have put off the most ardent thugs. I agree that clubs should contribute to policing outside stadia, but this could open the door to  city/town centre policing being paid for by breweries etc; if the police rating payment is insufficient to meet the needs of public safety then it should be increased according to the risk.

If England ans Russia were thrown out of this competition and further banned from the next world cup this just punishes the 99% of real football supporters and still allows the 1%  carry on as normal. 

This message was last edited by Hephaestus on 14/06/2016.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 5:33 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

When Russian officials make statements like these, it's hardly surprising the level of violence at certain football matches, this was published in the Guardian yesterday :

Russian officials have played down the violence over the weekend in Marseille – and in some cases even praised the fans involved. One top football official said the hooligans had defended the country’s honour and should be forgiven, while a top law enforcement official suggested Europe was “too gay” to know what real men look like.

Moscow football official to violent fans: well done lads, keep it up!
Read more

“ I don’t see anything wrong with the fans fighting,” Igor Lebedev wrote on Twitter. “Quite the opposite, well done lads, keep it up!”
Lebedev, who sits on the executive committee of the Russian football union, is an MP from the nationalist Liberal Democratic party and the deputy chairman of the Russian parliament.
“I don’t understand those politicians and officials who are criticising our fans. We should defend them and then we can sort it out when they come home,” Lebedev wrote in a series of tweets.
Lebedev’s comments were extreme but reflected a general mood of defiance in Russia over the violence. There has been a whisper of condemnation but it has been drowned out by very loud complaints that the apportioning of blame is unfair, with England fans mainly responsible, as well as not a little amount of gloating over the fact that Russia fans supposedly “won” the clashes.
Vladimir Markin, a top official at the country’s investigative committee, scoffed at suggestions that some Russians involved in the violence were hardened fighters who had come especially to fight: “They are surprised when they see a real man looking like a man should. They’re only used to seeing ‘men’ at gay parades,” Markin wrote on Twitter.
Maxim Motin, a member of the Moscow city parliament who was in Marseille supporting the Russia team, told TV Rain that there was “nothing criminal or unacceptable” about the behaviour of Russian fans. He blamed the clashes on poor organisation in the stadium: “Believe me, if that was a Spartak-CSKA game everything would have been much scarier with such a low level of security as there is in France.”
Motin downplayed the clashes at the final whistle: “After the game finished it’s true that some Russian fans rushed the English sector and chased them a bit but it was nothing bad. I’ll repeat, there was nothing out of order. It’s all rumours.”

I think it was a total embarrassment, these sort of 'battles' don't just happen by accident, I find it hard to believe that 150 Russians just bumped into 150+ England supoporters who just happened to be up for a good fight and it all kicked off. I suspect that both parties already knew eachother from possibly back in the UK and this was an opportunity to settle discrepencies 'away from home'. It all looked too prepared from what I could follow on the news...

One would like to believe that this is a thing of the past with Premiership and Championship clubs but I very much doubt it, it's probably more a case of better control than actually changing supporters' attitude, perhaps it was never far below the surface, perhaps I am wrong, time will tell, but as usual it is always the minority that ruin it for the majority. Let's see if Russia has problems with Slovakia or Wales....given the response of their officials, they may even be encouraged!

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
14 Jun 2016 6:01 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

As I previously posted this sort of sensless violence was, and to a lesser degree still is a lower/none league virus, folk don't pay mega money for a premiership match ticket in order to start a fight with an opposition supporter. Radio Sheffield investigated local football violence this very week, a so called Rotherham Utd supporter was very proud of his exploits back in the 1970's, he must now be at least 60 and couldn't see any fault in his past hooliganism.

As for the Russians, they have shown their contempt for law and order, I will hazard a guess that they have an international ban looming, Putin will goolag the major protagonists and all will be forgotton, until the next time. The English hooligans should have their passsports confiscated, their families would be well ragged off that dad couldn't go on the annual Benidorm holiday, however I wager that Benidorm wouldn't miss him.    

Like 0      
16 Jun 2016 12:08 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

They were all at it again....... I think the England fans (some of them)  here have also shown their contempt for law and order as did the Russians in Marseille....at this rate England will be kicked out and sent home along with the Russians. It is so ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/16/fa-chief-appeals-england-fans-behave-french-police-lille

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
20 Jun 2016 1:40 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

20 Jun 2016 3:12 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Why today's match is at 20:00 god only knows, it gives the idiots all day to get nissed as pewts, an early kick off would make them get out of their beds a lot earlier, and following a weekend's drinking might just not be on their agendas.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mail/post in Torrevieja - 3 posts
Self drive in removal van - importation duties ? - 6 posts
Ratten or similar garden furniture wanted - 0 posts
Happy Birthday, Your Majesty - 0 posts
Satellite / TV Package - 14 posts
Hello from utterly confused family considering moving my family to Spain or France. Craving insight from those who've done it!  - 25 posts
Wheelchair accessible vehicles in Spain - 2 posts
hob and oven connection - 6 posts
almoradi - 0 posts
Moving to Murcia - 29 posts
I am searching for a gestoria in the province Castellón - 0 posts
Garden furniture - 0 posts
New to Forum - 0 posts
Spanish income Tax Declarations for 2015 - 14 posts
problems deregistering - 5 posts
Flight Compensation - 6 posts
Santiago De La Ribera - 2 posts
Collecting nie number - 3 posts
New Rental Rules, info re tenants to police - 0 posts
Buying a Property With Squatters in It? - 22 posts
Making a Power of Attorney (Poder) in Spain. - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 8 posts
Will Other Spanish Regions follow Barcelona - 15 posts
Rentals Question - 4 posts
Brittany Ferries - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x