Making an English will from Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2016 10:03 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if it possible to make an English will using a solicitor based in Spain.

My husband and I cannot visit UK together to make a will and the UK solicitor we contacted has asked for copies of passports and utility bill certified by a lawyer in Spain.

We were hoping to not have to involve two sets of lawyers for a simple UK will.

I know we can complete a UK will using pre printed forms but as we both have children from previous marriages thought it best to involve a solicitor to ensure that all or children are treated equally.

Like 0      
16 May 2016 10:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ayres.   You can make a UK Will anywhere.

In fact you can make a Will without a solicitor, by using a blank form downloaded from the internet. All you need are two people who are not beneficiaries,  to witness your signature.  I first made such a Will in UK over 40 years ago and have made several since in Spain when I have wanted to update / change the details.

Of course if you have a very complicate Will then maybe you might want to use a legal professional.

If you need the format PM me

Like 0      
16 May 2016 11:07 AM by Spanishsteve Star rating in Surrey, Eastbourne &.... 81 posts Send private message

Look on google for 10minutewills, it's a website where you fill in the blanks, very informative, update able, legal etc. worth a look.

Like 0      
16 May 2016 1:14 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

All that a will is, is a notification of your wishes after your death, if it were made on the back of a fag packet and duly witnessed, dated and signed it would be very difficult to contest. However the on line wills are better, just remember, if your beneficiaries are capable of being executors and applying for probate, it will save them paying solicitor's fees.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
16 May 2016 1:37 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your replies

Like 0      
16 May 2016 2:59 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

QUOTE:-

Who can witness a will?

A will can be witnessed by anyone over the age of 18, although a blind person or a person of unsound mind are not normally capable of witnessing a will. If you have appointed a solicitor or an executor for your will, they can act as a witness.

If the will is witnessed by:

• a creditor
  • the spouse or civil partner of the ‘testator’ (a person who has made a will or given a legacy)
  • a beneficiary or the spouse or civil partner of a beneficiary

Due to the principle that a beneficiary cannot legally benefit from a will they have witnessed, in each of these circumstances, any gift made in a will to such a person will be void. However, this will not affect the validity of the rest of the will.

This is a Will proforma

This is the last Will and Tes­ta­ment

of me:  ……………………………………………………………………………………………….

Of  ……………………………………………………………………………………………………

Made this  ………………..  day of …………………………..     in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and

This relates to my assets in UK only. 

I HEREBY revoke all Wills made by me at any time heretofore.   

I appoint    …….…………………………………………………  of …………………………......

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

to be my Executor/s, and direct that all my Debts and Funeral Expen­ses shall be paid as soon as conveni­ently may be after my decease.

I GIVE AND BEQUEST.   ……………………………………………………………………………

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Signed by the TESTATOR in the presence

of us, present at the time, who at her

request, and in his presence, and in the

presence of  each other,  have subscribed

our names as witness.

­                                          …………………………………                                                                                                      

Occupation.             …………………………………..

of             …………………………………………………………….

…………………………………………………………….

…………………………………………………………….

And             ……………………………………

Occupation.             ……………………………………………………………

of           …………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………..

…………………………………………………………..

This message was last edited by johnzx on 16/05/2016.

Like 0      
16 May 2016 4:45 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Thanks again johnzx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

?scam email - 3 posts
movoing to gran canaria - 0 posts
Looking to move to spain - 1 posts
Unpaid Communal Fees - 34 posts
e-liquids - 0 posts
Notary & Land Registry Fees - 3 posts
Water Filters in Sierra Golf. Are you using one? - 3 posts
LEY 57/1968 WON CASE in FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAJAMAR CAJA RURAL FOR 9 OF OUR CLIENTS WHO PURCHASED OFF-PLAN PROPERTIES FROM THE DEVELOPER PROMOCIONES EUROHOUSE S.L. AT FORTUNA GOLF RESORT, LOS BALCONES DEL VALLE & APARTAMENTOS TURISTICOS PUEBLO LA - 0 posts
Discount Codes for DFS in San Javier - 0 posts
Register car in spain confused - 4 posts
Register car in spain - 0 posts
Send mobile top up - 0 posts
Moving to spain from the UK- - 6 posts
Kitchen Install Problems - 4 posts
EU Welfare Benefits - 5 posts
Trade a scrap car in for a new one - 3 posts
Fireplace Surrounds & Fires - 2 posts
Legal tip 1384. FREE revision of mortgage deeds - 0 posts
Any ideas for property in Villamartin area, Orihuela Costa. - 7 posts
entire Apartment contents for Sale Marbella excellent furniture and condition - 1 posts
Camposol Sector C - 13 posts
Good-cond CAR WANTED - 120 CV upwards. - 0 posts
GE Money have sold their mortgage book to OTAGAZ Gestion Hipotecaria - 51 posts
winter let around Malaga near coast. - 4 posts
Attention of EOS team re spam messages - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x