?scam email

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2016 12:27 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I received an email in my junk box from lupe85@alcain.com with a factura, in a zip file which can't be opened  on my ipad2

On Googling, alcain is a Spanish DIY firm which I've never heard of and had nothing to do with

could it be a scam?

Like 0      
16 May 2016 9:25 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Camposol. 

The only thing to be said about any email is if you don't recognize the address or don't like the way its sent, don't open it, the people in the know about emails and computers do say that when you open these, or any you might believe to be scams, you have opened the first door to letting them in.

If you have never had anything in the past to do with them use my motto.."if in doubt leave it out" seems to work for me. Even for the one's you think are genuine.

We have had in the past week a couple of phone calls concerning something wrong with our computers, one even mentioned I was to get compensation from Microsoft due to the problems, I don't have any of that stuff, good thing with a phone call is you can string them along, a little light relief from the days work.

Be aware of anything and everything these days when it comes via your computer. 

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 16/05/2016.

Like 0      
16 May 2016 2:58 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I had what I suspected was a scam yesterday.  The guy said he was from BT and that someone was using our Internet access, it seemed in a similar format to other phone calls received "I am from the technical department at Microsoft and there is something wrong with your computer blah blah, so the conversation didn't last long.

But today I was thinking about the call and checked the modem and suddenly realised that it's been sited right next to a window where the security codes card, on the back of the unit, are easily viisble from outside! 

Most probably not very clever on my part.  I am not at all into IT - could someone please spell out the ramifications and should I now be trying to change the passwords?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Like 0      
16 May 2016 3:47 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 300 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

I think that if someone had taken down the code for your internet by peering through the window and then logged in to use the Internet, BT wouldn't know this, all they would see is your account and it's usage.

if you have limited internet e.g. 20mb a month or something, you can always look on the BT app for it being used when you are not using it, if you have unlimited internet then you cannot do this.

i think the call was probably a scam

kelju

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

movoing to gran canaria - 0 posts
Looking to move to spain - 1 posts
Unpaid Communal Fees - 34 posts
e-liquids - 0 posts
Notary & Land Registry Fees - 3 posts
Water Filters in Sierra Golf. Are you using one? - 3 posts
LEY 57/1968 WON CASE in FIRST INSTANCE COURT AGAINST CAJAMAR CAJA RURAL FOR 9 OF OUR CLIENTS WHO PURCHASED OFF-PLAN PROPERTIES FROM THE DEVELOPER PROMOCIONES EUROHOUSE S.L. AT FORTUNA GOLF RESORT, LOS BALCONES DEL VALLE & APARTAMENTOS TURISTICOS PUEBLO LA - 0 posts
Discount Codes for DFS in San Javier - 0 posts
Register car in spain confused - 4 posts
Register car in spain - 0 posts
Send mobile top up - 0 posts
Moving to spain from the UK- - 6 posts
Kitchen Install Problems - 4 posts
EU Welfare Benefits - 5 posts
Trade a scrap car in for a new one - 3 posts
Fireplace Surrounds & Fires - 2 posts
Legal tip 1384. FREE revision of mortgage deeds - 0 posts
Any ideas for property in Villamartin area, Orihuela Costa. - 7 posts
entire Apartment contents for Sale Marbella excellent furniture and condition - 1 posts
Camposol Sector C - 13 posts
Good-cond CAR WANTED - 120 CV upwards. - 0 posts
GE Money have sold their mortgage book to OTAGAZ Gestion Hipotecaria - 51 posts
winter let around Malaga near coast. - 4 posts
Attention of EOS team re spam messages - 5 posts
hihic card - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x