Reporting Burglaries to the Police

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Oct 2015 10:03 AM by stableford Star rating. 44 posts Send private message

I have been given to understand that a burglary that needs reporting to the police (eg for an insurance claim), must either be done by the owner in person (with a translator present if the owner does not speak Spanish), or by the owner's lawyer, who must have an appropropriate power of attorney. The inference is that the burglary cannot be reported by say a key holder who is not a qualified lawyer etc. Is this correct?

Like 0      
27 Oct 2015 2:42 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

stableford I believe the rules are very similar to the UK

If an neighbour noitces a house that has clearly been burgled or damaged or dangerous of course they can report it, best not to enter the property though and should contact the polcie immediatley. The police will need to contact the owner or the legally registered property management company

Using illegal key holders (especially if you are paying them a fee) may be an issue as they are not insured, licenced and could easily be the prime suspect. If you do use key holders legal or not always best to declare these to your house insurer

Like 0      
27 Oct 2015 4:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have report a crime to the Guardia Civil.

A friend was sailing in a small boat to USA.  He got an email to say that his father's car (father was at the time in UK) had been stole from in front of his house.  No problem with me making the report.

Although not all crimes can be reported,   a burglary, theft, criminal damage etc. can be reported on 902 102 112, in English, and then signed at any National Police Station.  The report will be in Spanish and depending on your clarity of speech, and the interpreter’s ability, it can be a correctly written report.  

But be aware. In Spain one cannot make a crime report anywhere but in a police station, i.e. not to a police officer who attends a crime scene, 

In addition, of course one can report a crime which has been committed in Spain (or anywhere) to the police in the UK.  It will then be forwarded via INTERPOL.   You may find that the officer at the desk is not aware that you can but if you have a problem insist that officer contacts a senior officer for advice.    I have arranged for a man in Wales to report a burglary in Spain in that way.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ceramic Exterior Floor Tiles - 1 posts
Long Term Rental Agreement - 1 posts
Pose a question with Maria de Castro - 2 posts
Nokia 6410i Mobile Phone - 6 posts
Galicia - BBC / Sky / Filmon / Europa Network Reception - Advice - 5 posts
Estate agent fees..legal issue - 23 posts
Los Canovas, Murcia - 7 posts
HEATING OIL - 8 posts
Which Canary Island in February? - 3 posts
Legal Company and Employees - 7 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 0 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 4 posts
Moving from Cyprus to Spain-Filipina wife. - 5 posts
Fighting for money back from MRI - 3 posts
Empadronamiento - 18 posts
Hi! I am one of the owners of ImmoVario, a Spanish property portal and I live in Pals - 0 posts
Mallorca move - 3 posts
Great driving op!!! - 0 posts
HOUSE SIT THIS WINTER. - 0 posts
Keyholding/cleaning/client meet & greet recommendations please. La Zenia - 1 posts
restaurants open at xmas in duquesa area - 0 posts
Is this why Camposol is such a great place to live ??? - 0 posts
€500 fine for Costa del Sol mobility scooter driver - 0 posts
Fitness classes for Fit pensioners - 0 posts
Retirees returning to UK - 54 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x