Spanish tax after returning to the UK to live

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Sep 2015 3:16 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

To anyone who has left Spain this year, after spending 183 days plus there, 

returning home to the UK to live, I have the following question:

as you know, you have to do a tax return in 2016 for the whole of 2015, deducting any UK tax paid,, but do you need to submit a 720, if you have bought a house in the UK after returning  ? 

Like 0      
09 Sep 2015 12:02 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The obvious answer would be "yes", but the next obvious question would be "what on earth for?" Why not ask Hacienda, a Spanish gestor, an "expat" tax adviser and a random bloke in a bar, and then let us know how many differing answers you get?!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Sep 2015 2:00 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

The idea was to find out if someone on this forum in a similar situation  has dealt with this

my own accountant said I will not have to , but others differ

Like 0      
09 Sep 2015 2:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yes, I realise that, and I apologise for my sarcasm, but the truth is, you could ask 3 different funcionarios at Hacienda and get 3 different answers.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2015 12:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

when you will be buying that house, you will not be a resident anymore so... no need to declare in Spain in regards to foreign assets

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
18 Sep 2015 5:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

my own accountant said I will not have to 

no need to declare in Spain in regards to foreign assets

As Roberto said, you could ask 3 different functionaries at Hacienda and get 3 different answers.

Seems he was right

Like 0      
18 Sep 2015 7:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well, quite! But I'm interested in Maria's reply. As Camposol said, having been in Spain for MORE than 183 days in 2015, he will surely be regarded as a FISCAL resident by Hacienda for 2015, and therefore have to submit his IRPF for that year? And by the same reasoning, if he buys a property in the UK during that same year, it is a new foreign asset. Surely he would then have to declare it via 720? Hence my "obvious" answer being "yes" to his question. The fact that he was no longer LIVING in Spain when he bought the house would not make non-resident for tax purposes, would it? If so, he wouldn't need to submit an IRPF either? I think this is why Camposol was questioning his accountant.

Or perhaps we see things differently from Spaniards?

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

For capital gains purposes, do they count the price paid including the IVA paid. - 5 posts
Procedure for transfering electricity and water account when selling ... - 2 posts
Electrical work - 3 posts
Jack of all trades - master of none - 11 posts
Anybody Renting From The Bank? - 2 posts
Long/mid term 3month rental Murcia/Alicante area wanted - 0 posts
Banks liability and precedents for case law. A question for lawyers. - 12 posts
Castellon airport - car hire - 18 posts
How much less to offer on asking price '%' ... - 23 posts
Community President Expenses - 4 posts
Help with redemption please :) - 1 posts
president - 0 posts
Good Place To Rent Costa Calida Area - 27 posts
problems with headphones - 0 posts
Hoja de Reclamación - 6 posts
Smart meters - 4 posts
Vaccinations for a visit to China - 1 posts
What's it like to live full-time in the region of Playa Flameca? - 32 posts
re- locating to spain - 1 posts
DENUNCIAS BY OWNERS LETTING ‘ILLEGALLY’ - 24 posts
Solvia Bank Mortgage - 0 posts
What are the 3 things you would change - 1 posts
What would I do differently - 1 posts
sewing machines - 0 posts
Parking on the street for Free all day / night in Extramurs, Valencia? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x