Starting a car rental business

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2015 6:00 AM by Lou657 Star rating in Dorset. 15 posts Send private message

Lou657´s avatar

Hay guys I've just joined up so any advice and help would be great! I love spain the costa del so and I want to move there I'm a plumber so I'd like to work as a plumber there but also I'd like to start a small car rental business can any one tell me what cost is be looking at to start this? 

Like 0      
24 May 2015 10:48 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Hi lou657 don't no much about the car rental game ,but I can give some good advise on starting a plumbing business in Spain you are a qualified plumber in the UK what you will find is that ever butcher baker and candle stick maker that steps on a 2 hour flight from the U K surprisingly arrives in Spain as a master builder /plumber /gas fitter/ceramic tiler and what ever els they can think of to earn a few euro's these clowns will only find work in the odd job market within the expat community that that live in so the first advice I would give you is to learn Spanish before you take the plunge . Good luck from a qualified heating and plumbing engineer /gas safe registered with 40 years experience.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 24/05/2015.

Like 3      
24 May 2015 12:20 PM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

Hi, I don't know anything about plumbing or car hire, but as already stated, if you can communicate in Spanish it will give you a stronger position in which to explore your chosen venture. When it comes to setting up business in Spain, there can be a lot of bureaucracy, licensing , taxation, healthcare, etc. will you be alone or with others, partner,children of school going age. .?

lots of people do make a successful transition into Spanish lifestyle but it's not easy.

I recommend that you spend say 3 months in an area and that way you can get first hand feel for all the positives and negatives of living and working in Spain.

Best Wishes

This message was last edited by broph on 24/05/2015.

This message was last edited by broph on 24/05/2015.

Like 2      
24 May 2015 2:20 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

I think its an excellent idea you will get lots of work not from the Spanish as they use there own to do stuff and you can overcharge the Brits like in the UK 

Dont worry about speaking Spanish either as everyone speaks English on the coast there is very few spanish left in Southern Spain as they cant afford to live there now

You will make a fortune and have a great life 

Love

Hugh

Like 5      
24 May 2015 3:13 PM by Lou657 Star rating in Dorset. 15 posts Send private message

Lou657´s avatar

Hay guys thank you for the reply's my girlfriend speaks fluent spainish and I have a friend there, I don't want to focus on plumbing there to much as I've had enough of this work lol I want to work my butt off here save as much as possable and move out next year so this year I can visit a few more times and check stuff out that I need to do, I just need to know what's involved setting this up, and the laws around it.  Think it's a min of 10 cars you need and a place to keep th to work from I've seen how much money these guys make! I just love the Spanish life style :) 

Like 1      
24 May 2015 6:56 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Ten cars is a big expense, I much prefer the idea of a good sized mini bus doing airport runs. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 1      
24 May 2015 9:11 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I would agree that 10 cars is a big expense and there are many car hire companies from top brands to rent a wrecks

A minibus for airport runssurprise - again many doing this legally and illegally

good luck

Like 1      
24 May 2015 9:19 PM by Lou657 Star rating in Dorset. 15 posts Send private message

Lou657´s avatar

Sure 10 cars is a big lay out but I think it's the minimum amount of cars that you would need, is this right? I'd like to start with 5! Sure airport runs and plumbing call out/repairs will keep me going plus my gf is bilingual so maybe some interpreter services? I just need to know the rules I've looked online and I can find nada

Like 0      
24 May 2015 9:28 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Lou657

Why not try and contact one of the smaller independent hire car companies and ask their advice

good luck

Like 1      
24 May 2015 9:45 PM by Lou657 Star rating in Dorset. 15 posts Send private message

Lou657´s avatar

Sure thanks Todd I'll try 

Like 0      
24 May 2015 10:30 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I just need to know the rules I've looked online and I can find nada

The problem most British people have when looking for answers regarding anything in Spain is they insist on entering thier search queries in English on Google UK. If you translate your query into Spanish and then copy and paste this into Google.es you will find a lot more information

Like 2      
25 May 2015 9:55 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

My last car that I rented from gold car 3 weeks back cost me £40 for a 7day hire the full tank of fuel cos £56 I have taken a yearly insurance excess policy out that costs £48 I hire a car every 6weeks throughout the year it comes to approximately £1,200 for the year I have considered buying a car but will carry on hiring a car because it is so cheep to do so I don't no how the car hire companies make any money when you take the logistics administration and the outlay in to consideration.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 25/05/2015.l don't no any plumbers that would get out of bed for £40 reading you're post makes me come to the conclusion that you mite be burnt out and in need of a good holiday .
This message was last edited by windtalker on 25/05/2015.

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hey - 3 posts
Protective sealant for new swimming pool coping stones - 1 posts
Previous tenant requesting details - 5 posts
GnG - 0 posts
certificate of antiquity - 1 posts
Itv for car estepona - 4 posts
Atlas Property Advertising Spanish Property For Sale On UK TV . - 1 posts
Paying SUMA on behalf of a UK resident - 2 posts
Non Resident Bank Accounts - 0 posts
metal juliet balcony - 3 posts
Routes from Almeria to Eastern France - 3 posts
UK CROWN PENSION TO BE DECLARED IN SPAIN THIS YEAR - 90 posts
Help! - 1 posts
Cashing in a pension. - 13 posts
Looking for people who can rent an apartment - 0 posts
Recommendations for a good Aircon instalment company Formentera/Rojales/Quesada area? - 3 posts
Using Small uk trailers in Spain - 0 posts
bathroom floor tiles - 1 posts
Lottery for president - 20 posts
Septic Tanks - 0 posts
planning permission ? - 15 posts
Avoiding high bank charges when moving large sums of money out of your bank. - 15 posts
car road tax - 6 posts
Fibre optic broadband Benalmadena - 1 posts
Eminent domain on property, how does it work - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x