Power of attorny liability?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2015 10:40 AM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

I'm curious that if a seller has given power of attorny to their representative to complete the sale of their house and fails to sufficiently complete in the designated time of the contract then who faces the brunt of the liability?

Would whatever action that needs to be taken be taken against the sellers themselves or the representative?

And would that change depending whose name signed the original pre-contract, for instance if the sellers originally signed but then passed power of attorny to someone else. Are they both liable?

What if the power of attorny signed the contract and not the sellers? Basically who would be the one out of pocket?

Clearly the seller and PoA would have something to work out between them but that is a separate issue I suppose.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 10:51 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

In law it is very simple. When you are giving PoA that person is acting on your behalf and is carrying out the transactions as if it were you. Therefore the answer is simple... the person who gave the PoA is liable as if he himself had signed the documents.

It is vitally important that when giving PoA you restrict what they can do and how long the PoA lasts. Unless the 'giver' of the PoA is of unsound mind when there would be a lasting PoA don't just give a 'blanket' PoA.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 11:03 AM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Well that would be disappointing as it's purely the negligence of the PoA responsible and I would feel more comfortable sueing them than the person they represent. I suppose whatever damages the seller has suffered due to them would be something they need to sort themselves.

This is why you hire someone with indemnity insurance and not some fly by nighter.

With any luck it wouldn't get to that point anyway, the term getting blood from a stone springs to mind.

This message was last edited by starfox on 30/04/2015.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 12:24 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I agree with Steone  " the person who gave the PoA is liable as if he himself had signed the documents."

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 12:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I agree with Steone  " the person who gave the PoA is liable as if he himself had signed the documents."

Like 0      
30 Apr 2015 5:00 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

"Unless the 'giver' of the PoA is of unsound mind when there would be a lasting PoA don't just give a 'blanket' PoA."

If the "giver" of the POA is of unsound mind he wouldn't have the capacity to give a POA. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cancelling ono contract - 5 posts
Miss Lizzy - 4 posts
Getting rid of Europa TV at last! - 6 posts
What do I need to open a bank account in Spain? - 5 posts
looking for bed and breakfast around madrid area - 1 posts
electric bike - 3 posts
I welcome My Self :) - 0 posts
F1 trip to barcelona on coach from vivilia travel - 0 posts
Can we trust testimonials on rental sites? - 5 posts
Spanish Bank Account Updates - 1 posts
Another question - sorry! - 6 posts
Opening a Spanish bank account, etc - 2 posts
Is FOL obligatory for sales to buyers in Valencia Region? - 2 posts
English speaking accountant in Andalucia - 4 posts
MJV Airport - 2 posts
window grilles - 1 posts
Declaration of Economic Activity - 25 posts
swimming pool parties - 5 posts
Towing a caravan from UK to Spain - 4 posts
scottish couple traveling from santander to sax - 0 posts
All inclusive car hire - 3 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola or nearby - 1 posts
Not receiving e-mail notifications - 14 posts
Wanted long term rental country house - 0 posts
Financial Adviser moving to Spain - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x