Financial Adviser moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Apr 2015 2:56 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Good afternoon everyone,

I have joined the forum to ask a question if I may:

I am a professional UK Financial Adviser of 15 years standing thinking of a move to Spain with my partner Lesley who is an Insurance Adviser (life, critical illness etc).

I lived in Palma de Mallorca for 5 years (been back in the UK since 2008) and speak fluent Spanish, a bit of French and sketchy German.

When I lived in Mallorca I had a holiday from Financial advice and took up my hobby as a profession (photography).

My partner Lesley does not speak Spanish but would learn quickly (speaks French though).

I wonder whether all you expats out there could comment on how you see Financial Advisers in Spain (good and bad). Any names would be brilliant, especially the good ones.

I will only contact professional firms with whom you folks have had good experiences and avoid the cowboys.

We are thinking of Mallorca but not exclusively, could be Alicante, Xabia etc. I know Spain very well having travelled around following the Fiestas for best part of a year when I first arrived.

Your help would be massively appreciated.

Sandy

Like 0      
24 Apr 2015 8:41 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Mister P 

What qualifications do you have as an Adviser as many so called advisers operate in Spain with no PI insurance and out of date qualifications ripping clients off investing into exotic investments etc.

Love Hugh

Like 1      
25 Apr 2015 6:54 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Great username ! In reply to your question I have CeMAP which is the required qualification for Mortgage Advice and DipFA the qualification needed to be an Independent Financial Adviser in th UK.  I work under stringent compliance rules and always treat my clients fairly. Part of this is full disclosure of my fees and remuneration which is kept appropriate for the work done. 

I appreciate what you are saying about the rogue element in Spain, hopefully this will be brought under control soon. I the meantime if you know of any reputable firm I can approach it would be appreciated. 

Cheers Sandy

Like 0      
25 Apr 2015 7:17 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Blevins Franks is one of the most well known and prominent firms in Spain They seem to be the financial Gurus for everything . 

Like 0      
27 Apr 2015 10:54 AM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Hi Camposol,

I know the Blevins guy in Mallorca and I gather they are well regarded or at lest widely visible. They will be on my contact list for sure. 

Thanks for the help. 

Sandy

Like 0      
27 Apr 2015 12:49 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Hi again everyone and thanks for all the contact so far. I will be getting in touch with the following firms so far:

• Scottsdale
  • Blevins Franks
  • AES International
  • Speed Financial
  • Spectrum

If anyone has any first hand experience of them please let me know as my partner and I ar planning to come over to Spain towards the end of May to meet with a few firms.

Speak soon.

Sandy & Lesley

Like 0      
01 May 2015 7:28 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Hi Sandy

If you can apply the same standards on the Coast professionalism and ethics as in the UK I cannot see why you won't do quite well.

It seems you are heading to the Costa Del Sol area  and as a UK based adviser working FCA directly regulated I looked at it myself some 10 years ago but decided to build my UK firm up and I am glad I did.

I do know the area very well but do not promote our services here as we are exceptionally busy back home and I mainly come down to holiday but I do have a few clients whom I review and manage there investments mainly offshore versions who live permanently near my holiday home.

I would say however that it will be very hard work, very hot and how Spain does things may frustrate you most firms seem to be registered in Gibraltar and operate a licence via the regulator there 

I hope my view on things helps and I am sure if you can pass Dip FA you are a pretty clever guy 

Regards 

Rod 

Like 0      
01 May 2015 8:38 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Hi Rod, thanks for the input. I know what you mean about Spain driving you mad, I lived 5 years in Mallorca but speaking fluent Spanish helps massively. Keep in touch. 

Sandy

Like 0      
29 Jun 2015 4:09 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

Hi everyone,

We have decised on a firm to join and will be authorised in July so we will be letting everyone know soon.

Sandy

Like 0      
07 Aug 2015 4:57 PM by MisterP Star rating in Palma de Mallorca. 7 posts Send private message

MisterP´s avatar

This message was last edited by MisterP on 28/01/2016.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Registering a UK motorbike in Spain - 1 posts
Planning our move to Spain - 1 posts
Where can I find the co-efficient to calculate the Plusvalia tax, - 3 posts
Solar power for community lighting - 3 posts
COSTAZUL BUSES FROM ALICANTE TO CARTAGENA - 1 posts
How difficult is it to get a job? - 19 posts
Airport transfer - 7 posts
pool on complex - 0 posts
Holiday walks. - 0 posts
IVA rates - 1 posts
halogen oven - 2 posts
Where has everybody gone ? - 6 posts
Resident to Non-resident bank account - 9 posts
Hacienda chasing new home owners - 1 posts
Bankruptcy - and administrators - 3 posts
holiday home/destination between Malaga and Almeria & lawyer advice - 0 posts
New Bank Regulations digital ID - 32 posts
New EU rules threaten Spanish property market. - 1 posts
Caja Rural Central - 0 posts
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - 0 posts
Best free translation site - 5 posts
corruption Spain - 2 posts
Wanted Undercounter Slimline (48cm) fridge with coolbox or freezer - 0 posts
New NIE form - 0 posts
Spanish Wills - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x