Query about money from house sale

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2015 12:56 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Someone who knows I am selling my house,said why, in view of the exchange rate, don't I ask for the sale money to be direct into my Uk Bank in sterling.

I am confused as to how that will benefit me, as I would have to have it transferred back here , then back to UK again, as I will be moving back to the UK.

I thought the buyers have to hand over a bankers draft at the Notary, he sorts it out and eventually I get my money, less estate agents expenses, solicitors fees etc.

How would this suggestion work in practice?

Like 0      
26 Jan 2015 2:29 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Notary will check you are receiving through proved means the price which is in the deeds and will also include in the Notary deed that the buyer is retaining 3% of the price to be paid to the Treasure unless you are subject to Personal Income Tax in Spain, which you will have to prove and the Notary will include in the deeds.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Jan 2015 3:07 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

But how does it work with the amounts to be subtracted, estate agencys fees, plus valia fees, etc or will that already have been done?

Also, how is  it supposed to be advantageous to be paid in this way rather than with euros

I had planned to transfer the funds to the UK bank via Currencies direct

Like 0      
26 Jan 2015 5:48 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

When we sold our flat we didn't actually have a bank draft. The solicitors sent us a detailed breakdown including total cost, plus valia tax, retention for habitation certificate (if it ever appeared), notary fees, small retention for any unpaid utiility bills (about 50 euro I think) and everything else you could think of. The amount at the bottom was the amount we would receive. The solicitors then received the money from the buyers and put the pittance we got into our account and the agents fees into theirs. We could have picked a Spanish or UK bank.

Our solicitors and the buyers solicitors then showed details of the payments made at the notary and we didn't even have to turn up although the buyers did.

Payment to a UK bank would have been at the bank rate but we had it into a Spanish bank. As we were in our first year here as residents, without submitting a tax return, we were classed as non-residents so 3% was also retained. This shouldn't happen if you are resident and have submitted tax returns.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2015 9:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Thanks

I wondered if there is any advantage in having it paid into the UK bank rather than have it paid in euros, meaning I would then have to have it transferred back using one of the currency exchange companies

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Calicia Public Attornet punishing Banks in off plan disasters - 5 posts
property advice - do I need permission? - 2 posts
property tax - 2 posts
Hot tub covers - 2 posts
Property licence - 2 posts
95.8 cents a litre for diesel....... - 0 posts
Has there been any recent changes in spanish law relating to mental capacity and power of attorney? - 1 posts
Coin Meter - 2 posts
Want to turn dream to reality - 48 posts
DEDUCTED FROM BARCLAYS BANK. - 6 posts
Lake fishing - 4 posts
Gestor in Murcia area ( somewhere near Murcia City) - 1 posts
Android tv - 5 posts
How to find a list of Spanish schools in Malaga? - 0 posts
Credit cards and car hire - 8 posts
offer less rent than advertised? what's protocol? - 7 posts
On and off internet connection - 5 posts
Replacement house alarm battery - 4 posts
Ballot for president - 4 posts
3 network feel at home coming to Spain in April. - 1 posts
Leaving Spain, tax deregistration form 030. - 1 posts
Visiting Alicante area to view property - 27 posts
Need help on setting up a hand car valeting business in spain - 24 posts
Best house and contents insurance for holiday home - 29 posts
Dishwasher - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x