Hi We are UK Family Mark & Kazz & kids

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Nov 2014 9:01 PM by markandkazz Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We are looking at coming to Spain for 3 months with a plan to move there if it ticks all the boxes we need to enable us to start a fresh there!

I have been looking at holiday rentals for that amout of time but are too expensive. my question is: Will a 3 month rental period (June, July, August 2015 ) be considered as Long Term Rental ? The price difference is significant and will make the trip viable. If all goes well, we will consider to continue the rental more permanantly.

Our preferred area is Playa Flenca, Alacante'

Thank Mark & Kazz

T

Like 0      
13 Nov 2014 9:32 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

June, July and August (and September) will be the most expensive period for renting in Spain. Most people who rent only do so at this time of year and they charge a premium. In a lot of cases, a weeks hire in those months will be as much as a months rent at other times of the year.

I assume you mean Playa Flamenca? This is a particular holiday hotspot and prices rise considerably in those months.I don't think 3 months, especially those ones, would be classed as a long term rental and most of the sites I've looked at quote 11 months as long term. I've seen some 2 bed places go for around 350 a month but rise to 250 a week in the summer. Houses and villas can go for over 500 a week but 500 a month at other periods.

Saying that, there is a lot of property to rent in that area. Bear in mind the population of Torrevieja (the large area that Playa Flamenca attaches to) is around 100,000 but rises to over 500,000 in the summer months.

I assume you can't come at any other time because of the kids but you will find these months may be out of your budget.

Like 1      
14 Nov 2014 11:01 AM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

Hi, your post questions the costs of rentals of property, however will you rely on working to generate a sustainable family income or will you be able to survive on your  own. ?  If you are looking to find work in Spain then it is a massive advantage if you are able to communicate in Spanish (spoken and written).

Spain is a great place to live but it is not cheap contrary to popular belief. So you will need to have a fall back source of funding. 

You also need to consider things like longer term health care in case any of you fall sick as most travel insurance covers 30 days.

Similarly ,Will you be taking a UK vehicle with you for the duration of your stay ?, If so you will need to check with your vehicle insurance company what limits apply to insurance cover abroad. Otherwise you would be advised to check out hire costs in Spain . Taxis are a lot more expensive in Spain compared to UK.

Good luck and enjoy !

This message was last edited by broph on 14/11/2014.

Like 1      
14 Nov 2014 12:21 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Approaching this from another angle, a person that rents properties for customers I would like to provide another view on this

We regularly get enquires from people that want to rent long term as seen by the renters, 2-3 months June-September and expect to get the much lower rate. We make it clear that the MINIMUM contract term to qualfy is a 6 month contract which normally means that they don't book, or a 3 month rental at much higher rates to include the utiliity rates

Being honest if someboday has a decent property in The Playa Flamenca area they should easily be able to get enough holiday rentals to more than cover the grief that could come from a 3 month period

I would also adviise that commiting an initial 3 month stay in the Summer months, when the weather is hit and the schools are closed really isn't commiting to really trying a frresh start in a new country, try a wet cold November day to really get a feel when employment is scarce and the bills start coming in

If you are querying the Summer rental rates now you really shouldn't consider a life in Spain

Like 2      
14 Nov 2014 1:49 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

When we are in La Fustera in Spring or/and Autumn I sometimes wonder if we are the only ones there. Practically everything is locked and shuttered, no cars in drives, no sign of life other than for us and the local goat herder. Many of these rental properties are expensive and many, a friend used to rent us his 4 bed, 3 bath villa with pool for the knock down price of £500.00 per week, with zero cleaning service, we can rent a 2 bed, 2 bath luxury apartment on an award winning complex 10 minutes walk away, closer to the beach for £350.00 per week with a full cleaning service.

I fully understand why someone would prefer to get say £15,000 p/a in rental over say 20 peak weeks than the same amount over a year, for a start they can go to their property in the unlet weeks, and they will recover from a two weeks bad rental easier and quicker than from a bad long term rental. As for a three months rental, this would have to be in off peak weeks if it were to be discounted, June, July and August weeks should never need to be discounted, I am of the opinion that the percieved buy to rent bonanza is well and truly over.  

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Questions about moving to Gibraltar - 4 posts
Jose Chillon / Fuenlegal - 0 posts
Spanish solicitor - 3 posts
Moving To Fuente Alamo area/region...advice sought - 2 posts
Wishing you the Best Christmas Ever! - 0 posts
Reliable lawyer needed - 22 posts
Flue problems - 3 posts
Stay safe - 22 posts
golf holidays in Spain - 10 posts
Sharing - 0 posts
Thinking of buying in the Murcia region - 7 posts
The cost of Electricity in Spain is really very expensive....... - 27 posts
Liabilities of the developer /promotor - 2 posts
Remembrance Day, Mil Palmeras - 0 posts
Gardening help and tips - 4 posts
blocking ads on filmon - 4 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHERE THE COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT COMPANY GETS THE OWNERS NAMES - 16 posts
Dodgy financial schemes - 22 posts
How can I delete my account? - 7 posts
Social club in the Alicante area at El Campello - 0 posts
Hire car annual insurance? - 4 posts
About to buy a holiday home near Elvira/cabopino - looking for someone to do a house survey? - 4 posts
Landed in Rojales... - 0 posts
Vangie - 2 posts
Help please - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x