WARNING terrible drivers ahead... think about insurance cover ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Nov 2014 2:06 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Nice one Crookesey.......Now that soundslike .... just  what im after !!

I shudder when they give me a new car.....

I wonder if these people opperate Out of Murcia and Alicante airports.

"Banger racers hire company"... our terms and conditions. "Must be returned in one piece">

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 1      
06 Nov 2014 2:07 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Unlike those nice, benevolent UK car hire companies that don't charge exorbitant sums for extra insurance (Hertz last month, £134 weekly car hire, £111 excess insurance, Enterprise quote same period, £135 hire, £124 insurance) or, if you don't take the excess, don't put a "security deposit" on your card. (HERTZ £200, Enterprise £400). Nor do they charge over the odds for scratches (funny, they had an episode on Watchdog about that. One company charging more for a slight scratch on the bumper than the car manufacturer wanted for a complete new bumper.)

And why ask the car hire company if they accept your annual insurance? The FAQ sheet with mine(insurance4hirecar.com) says you don't have to even show the hire company your insurance as crookesey says. If you return the car and they say there'll be a charge, give your policy details then. If you get a bill later (and loads of companies in UK have a key drop off and don't check the car),  insurance4carhire will refund your credit card and fight the hire company. 

£39.99 a year Europe wide. We don't hire cars in Spain anymore but we do use it for France and UK where the costs are much higher. 

Simples.

This message was last edited by mariedav on 06/11/2014.

Like 2      
06 Nov 2014 2:35 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

You'll not get there with some of these guys, although they appear to accept that you don't have to accept the hire companies comprehensive top up option they imply that you have a legal obligation to give them chapter and verse on a UK annual top up contract. I once had the whole gear stick unit come off in my hand and the clowns implied that it was my fault, I have absolutely no trust in these guys, so go for the cheapest possible option.

If any brighter posters need the details of 'Rent a Wreck', by all means pm me. yes

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
06 Nov 2014 5:04 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Unlike those nice, benevolent UK car hire companies that don't charge exorbitant sums for extra insurance (Hertz last month, £134 weekly car hire, £111 excess insurance, Enterprise quote same period, £135 hire, £124 insurance) or, if you don't take the excess, don't put a "security deposit" on your card. (HERTZ £200, Enterprise £400). Nor do they charge over the odds for scratches (funny, they had an episode on Watchdog about that. One company charging more for a slight scratch on the bumper than the car manufacturer wanted for a complete new bumper.)

And why ask the car hire company if they accept your annual insurance? The FAQ sheet with mine(insurance4hirecar.com) says you don't have to even show the hire company your insurance as crookesey says. If you return the car and they say there'll be a charge, give your policy details then. If you get a bill later (and loads of companies in UK have a key drop off and don't check the car),  insurance4carhire will refund your credit card and fight the hire company. 

£39.99 a year Europe wide. We don't hire cars in Spain anymore but we do use it for France and UK where the costs are much higher. 

Simples.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't France accept these UK bought insurance policies without any quibbles what so ever.

Whereas Spain will give you the runaround over the insurance, but will accept this bought policy from the UK, you just have to accept the large deposit in Lou of the rental companies insurance, and in many cases for as I said no hassle, is it worth it?

It's only a rip of if you have no choice over the matter, but you do have a choice and it hasn't been taken away from you.

As for the watch dog item yes the manufacturers price for a new bumper is very low, I buy them all the time, they mostly come in a base colour of matt grey, does the customer want a base matt grey on his new metallic red car then? To paint one these days thanks to EU rules has expensive paint put on it, in a very expensive paint drying shop, with a very expensive hourly rate, with very expensive materials used, did watch dog mention these costs? Or just say to paint the scratch was £200.00..To buy the bumper was only £75.00.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2014 5:50 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

I think you're missing the point. Yes, France and UK do accept these policies BUT a. you will still get the hard sell for their own insurance and b. they still stick a security deposit on your card. As I said, Enterprise UK was £400. I think France was 4 or 5 hundred euro. There is no need to even tell the hire company about the insurance policy you have, just decline it. It's no good the dealer saying we don't accept it as it has nothing to do with them. We hired cars for years in Spain and, apart from Auriga, never had the constant hassle about the insurance nor did we have any problems getting the deposit back. I can't even recall it showing on my credit card statement. Before we moved over, we were spending up to 4 months a year here in bits and bobs. At 9 euro a day that would have been over a thousand euro for each year.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2015 3:43 PM by hevs Star rating in Milton Keynes. 206 posts Send private message

hevs´s avatar

Going back to this older thread I am looking to take out top up insurance anyone got a good company that they have used

Holiday Rentals Roda Golf   www.rentals-rodagolf.co.uk

Like 0      
05 Aug 2015 8:10 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

I use my Chase CC for travel which gives loads of points and includes car hire insurance.

Don't know if there are cards issued by UK providers that have similar 'perks'.

Ros

Like 1      
05 Aug 2015 9:28 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

world wide travel insurance

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

exchanging driving licences - 2 posts
Inconsiderate neighbours. - 21 posts
Benidorm Palace - Alternative?? - 1 posts
A Big Hike in Flight Costs? - 4 posts
ATM charges - 3 posts
Help needed - 0 posts
Unsolicited private messages - 3 posts
Moving to Spain...marbella, estepona or benalmadena? - 20 posts
210 form - NIE not recognised - 1 posts
How to find someones address in Spain? - 0 posts
Urbanizacions in the Denia area - 0 posts
United Golf, La Tercia - 7 posts
Spanish authorities arrest 51 top officials in anti corruption drive. - 3 posts
No electricity for 8 weeks. - 21 posts
how to activate a new mobile home sim card - 1 posts
Internet Provider - 0 posts
Posts - 0 posts
Car Tax - 20 posts
atlas choice - 0 posts
Rastro at Paloma Park, Benalmadena (Arroyo de la Miel) - 0 posts
Anybody live in Southampton with a drive way to rent - 0 posts
Catastral value not shown on IBI receipt - 0 posts
Catastral value not shown on IBI receipt - 0 posts
mobile phone top up. - 1 posts
Administrator wont budge - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x