Return to Sender

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2014 2:03 PM by boggey79 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I have a holiday home in Spain we purchased in 2013 and we visit a few times a year. Recently we've recieved a few letters that look like they come from a debt collection company and are addressed to a previous inhabitant. Our neighbour also said he had seen bailiffs at our property when we were away.

Can I just mark up the mail as follows (sorry I expect this is a crude translation, it came from Goolge Translate):

Devolver al remitente
No, en esta dirección

Do the local posties here actually RTS mail? If so is the above translation correct?

Like 0      
13 Jul 2014 2:38 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I'd be more worried about it affecting you, as if it's a debt on the property, you, being the owner now ,may be liable.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2014 2:46 PM by boggey79 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

It's from BMW Financial Services, so looks like a car loan.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2014 3:02 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

But if he's moved and hasn't told them of his new address, couldn't  you be liable?

Could they put an embargo on your house?

Don't want to frighten you, but shouldn't you seek legal advice?

Like 0      
13 Jul 2014 3:11 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

When you bought the property, the Nota Simple from the property Registry would have shown if a debt was recorded on the property.  If it was not then it's not your problem.  They cannot embargo a properly which is not in the debtor’s name.

In your case (although technically I believe not legal in Spain) I would open the letter, and contact the sender, by email if possible, or phone..

I have done the same with a guy who rented our son's apartment. We have had several notices re debts  but none have come to anything.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2014 3:53 PM by boggey79 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

@ElaineG thanks. I did assume any charge on the property would have been picked up when we acquired it in 2013. Car loans are usually unsecured (at least in the UK) so I don't think it will come to much.

All the same I will have a word with our solicitor here to see what they advise. As it's my last day in Spain (yep always leave the admin until the last day :)) I've marked up the mail as return to sender, back in a couple of months to see if there are any developments.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The "shell suit" trash tourists have started to arrive!!!!!!!!! - 29 posts
Decision Made - Planning to Move to Spain - 15 posts
Yamaha 75 HP 4-Stroke Outboard Motor Engine - 0 posts
Excursions Business Query - 2 posts
Fire risk - 0 posts
Using your EHIC in Spain - 0 posts
Website Maintenance - 3 posts
RAE 300 yrs and counting - 0 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
Spanish customs? - 9 posts
Replacement for EHIC in Spain - 1 posts
Spain's latest scandal … Discovered by Gotham - 0 posts
Letting Agents Fined for illegal lets - 0 posts
Monthly phone internet access - 3 posts
noisey neighbours - 7 posts
Is Spain only for the wealthy now? - 28 posts
setting up bed and breakfast mallorca - 2 posts
Satellite tv booster - 5 posts
C.C.T.V. Yes or No - 9 posts
A mystery... Animal on roof lifting roof tiles to get at wasp nests? Any others have similar problem? - 4 posts
Corvera airport - 35 posts
Moving goods from UK to Spain - 21 posts
transferring money from spain to england. - 9 posts
ADVICE RE RENTING IN MURCIA/BOLNUEVO AREA FOR 6-12 MONTHS - 23 posts
Can UK medications be posted to a Spanish address? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x