Cancelling existing utility contracts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jun 2014 8:35 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have recently bought a flat which currently has two outstanding utility bills, one with Endesa and one with Gas Natural.

Both have told the previous owner of the flat that she can't close her accounts as she is no longer the owner of the flat, and both have told us that we cannot close the accounts as it is not our name on the accounts. Basically they are lying to either one or both of us.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do? The nearest offices are too far away for us to just pop in and sort this out.

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Jun 2014 10:03 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi

Please see angloinfo website for more info.

http://balearics.angloinfo.com/information/housing/setting-up-home/electricity/

http://balearics.angloinfo.com/information/housing/setting-up-home/gas/

I think in each case you can settle the outstanding bills ,obtain a boletin for each utility company and take out a new Contract in your name  for each supplier. To cancel the contract it is necessary for the previous Owner  to write a letter to the supplying company asking them to stop the service. Attach a copy of the passport identity page or NIE number.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

Like 0      
10 Jun 2014 6:53 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

theline   I have recently bought a flat which currently has two outstanding utility bills, one with Endesa and one with Gas Natural.

Too late for you but checking that all such bill are paid up to date is something which a buyer should check.

In your case why not pay the outstanding amounts and then change the accounts to your name.

A couple of years ago my son bought an apartment. I called Endesa and changed the account into his name, without any difficulty.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2014 7:12 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

We checked that all the bills were upto date when we bought the flat, so in this respect everything is ok.

Initially we tried to change the name of the Endesa contract to my name. Initially over the phone (where we were told that we needed to visit the Endesa office), and when we visited the Endesa office we were told by a very rude and incompetent lady that we needed a certificate from the previous landlady in order to do this, which she'd have to pay for (I believe it was something to do with the age of the flat/electricity installation). We therefore decided to cancel the contract with Endesa and move to another supplier.

Regarding the gas, we do not wish to have a gas supply in the new flat, and so changing the name is not an option.

Like 0      
10 Jun 2014 7:32 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I believe it was something to do with the age of the flat/electricity installation)

I believe if it is over 20 years old, a certificate to prove that the installation  it is up to the required standards is necessary.

In my son's case the first time I called  the woman, who was on the ball, and asked about the age of the apartment.  I left it a month  and called again, intending to lie about the age, but I was lucky I got an incompetent male (probably the token male employee ! ) who did not even ask. 

In your case, from what you say, it appears you need to get the certificate to prove the installation is up to standard.   I guess asking around, your president, a local estate agent etc would the way to find a qualified person to do that

Like 0      
11 Jun 2014 11:31 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

An update.

Looks like the Endesa problem might be solved (we'll find out in 15 days), however the problem with Gas Natural continues. Again both myself and the previous owner tried phoning them, and both of us were told that the other had to cancel the contract. The only solution appears to be both of us going to the office at the same time.

Out of interest, if the previous owner decided to cancel payments to Gas Natural (via an instruction to their bank), what would be the worst case scenario? I believe the titular of the bill isn't actually the previous owner, but the person they inherited the flat from (which I believe is why they are having difficulty cancelling it). My (I believe logical, but please correct me) assumption would be that the debt would be transferred to someone who is no longer alive, and therefore no could claim could be made against us. However, I am worried that somehow through this quagmire, and the querks and inconsistencies of the Spanish legal system, that myself or my property will end up with a large debt if the previous owner does this.

Thanks

Like 0      
01 Jul 2014 8:48 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Looks like Endesa have finally cut the power :-).

Problem with Gas Natural Fenosa is still ongoing though, and they are still refusing to cut us off, despite calling them over 10 times, and even writing to them (when you write to them, they simply tell you to phone the hotline). However, the previous owner has cancelled her direct debit at the bank, so no doubt they will be in touch soon.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2014 9:30 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

This sounds like a truly exasperating situation.  But is it not that these incompetents just find it easier to come up with a reason not to do anything rather than take action?  I had a similar situation with the local water supplier on a bill dispute where he tried to give me the run around.  So I drew up a chair at sat at his desk for over 2 hours until he finally saw sense.  When you get these jobs worths you have to be as bl**dy minded as they are, but of course, keep smiling smiley.

Perhaps I'm developing a persecution complex, but I get the feeling that a small number are anti-British and enjoy being a pain in the bottom.   On this basis you might try taking a Spanish friend/contact with you to their offices, or escalate the matter to their manager.

Good luck.

Like 1      
06 Aug 2014 1:32 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Gas Natural Fenosa have finally come to remove the meter.

I had to go to the nearest office (driving 200km and taking a day off work) to request it though. The guy working in the office was very polite and clearly as fed up as the idiots operating the telephone systems as we were. He apologised, and the next week someone came to remove the meter.

btw, in case anyone wants to get in contact with Gas Natural Fenosa in English, their English email address is: Scustomer2@gasnatural.com. I got a lot further with this than I did with either the Spanish email or on the telephone 
(although it does take a few days to get a response).

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Best electricity company in Spain? - 3 posts
Home insurance in Spain - 0 posts
Spanish sport..... - 1 posts
Car hiring in Spain - 17 posts
Aifos developments where Bank Guaranteed have been found - 7 posts
Spanish Mortgage Shortfall and UK Bankruptcy - 28 posts
Spanish Mortgage Shortfall - Chasing Debt In UK - 9 posts
Cleaner Required Near Campoamore - 0 posts
Lost UK TV channels - 5 posts
Driving back to UK with a dog - 5 posts
Residual S1 form changes from 1st of July - 0 posts
New UK-Spain double taxation agreement - 13 posts
New Software for Mag 250 box ?? - 3 posts
A Good Reliable & Trustworthy Cleaner with References Required! - 0 posts
Healthcare Contributions For The Disabled - 11 posts
russians in spain - 4 posts
Best app to mobile calls - 4 posts
Thinking of buying a property in Spain? - Avoiding the pitfalls - 9 posts
Need your help and advice - 17 posts
Spanish Will - 36 posts
Double oven cookers Orihuela Costa - 1 posts
Does Spain need a Royal Family? - 16 posts
Things to check when completing on a purchase. - 19 posts
Renewing Spanish driving licence - 2 posts
Toll road cost from Caen - Murcia - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x