Recommended bank accounts in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 May 2014 10:46 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Hi,

I am looking for personal recommendations for bank accounts in Spain. In particular, I am looking for:

1) Free to receive and transfer money from within Spain
2) Free debit card
3) Free (or almost free) administration costs
4) English banking service (not a requirement for me but definitely a plus)
5) Real offices so I can shout at someone if I have a problem :-).

Like 0      
07 May 2014 10:57 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

After living 25 years here I would be grateful if you find one if you let me know !!!

I think the most important rule is to discuss with the manager what the charged will be for everything you may need to do.  The manager can write off many charges.   But if you don't ask you will get a lot of nasty surprises.   Banking in any country is never the same as in any other country,  so don't assume if maybe.

Like 4      
07 May 2014 11:37 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

It will of course depend on where in Spain you are. Now that CAM has been absorbed into a good bank, I would suggest that Sabadell or its various subsets are likely contenders. You will need to put in €700 monthly into their "Expansion" account if you are under pension age, or receive pension payments regularly, but your list would be satisfied.

Always talk to the manager of your local branch to obtain best rates etc.

Like 2      
07 May 2014 12:36 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Are you after a residents or non-residents account? Most will charge for everything if it is non-resident. You need to check different banks as some charge as little as 4 euro a quarter whilst others as much as 25 euro. There are also others who charge nothing if you keep a large balance in.

For the resident account, most have no charges if you pay a fixed amount into it each month or maintain a large balance.

We are with Bankia (was Bancaja). No charges if you pay in 700 a month or maintain a balance over 2000 euro. Online banking in English, never been charged for transfers in and no charge for transactions. The debit card was free when it as Bancaja but now get charged 19 euro with Bankia which was annoying. Also have to be careful using ATMs as some charge. For example Caja Rural tried to charge 10 euro for a 200 euro withdrawal. Luckily I spotted it and managed to cancel the operation. 3 branches in my area if I have a problem and they have English speakers in each of the branches.

We were with Bankinter but they seemed to charge for everything so we binned it.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What is the process for registering with the Social Security office in Spain? - 1 posts
The truth or lies? - 6 posts
WHY DON'T MORE SPANISH LEARN ENGLISH - 32 posts
EGM agenda - 2 posts
Do you know about VPN? - 0 posts
uk or spanish licence - 34 posts
IT IS QUITE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING - 11 posts
Name of beach game - 6 posts
Is this lack of info strange from an agent ? - 1 posts
Mobile phone!!! What's best deals??? - 6 posts
Inheritance Tax - 30 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Will Astra 2G Reinstate UK TV in Spain - 5 posts
Working regulations - 0 posts
Looking for Work Mazarron Region - 2 posts
Tribute festival - 0 posts
CÉDULA DE HABITABILIDAD - 53 posts
La Caixa bank - 0 posts
RosieMac - 15 posts
Hola - from a Scot in Lebrija - 0 posts
Berlingo - rear parcel shelf problem - 5 posts
Building a carport but where do I buy the wood? - 3 posts
RTN news on Barclaycard - 4 posts
Are the Spanish moveing away! - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x