car insurance for car not in use

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2014 10:42 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Do I need car insurance for a car parked on my land in the campo which will not be visable from the track. The car will not be used.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:17 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In the UK you certainly would not, but why not ask your broker / insurance company, or the police ?

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:24 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I'm just wondering, as we know in Spain it's the car that's insured not the owner/driver. In the event the car was stolen from your land would you still be expected to have it insured? Maybe get a cheap third party only policy GWM 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:25 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

A vehicle parked on private land in Spain and not used on a public road does not require insurance. The purpose of compulsory third party insurance is to protect other road users. 

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:29 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The purpose of compulsory third party insurance is to protect other road users. 

Quite right.

Where does the onus lie to protect other road users if the car is stolen from the private land?

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:31 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

With the thief.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Team GB  in Spain it's the car that's insured not the owner/driver.

That is of course anyone driving with the owner’s permission.  That is the reason why if the owner is not present in the vehicle the driver must have a written authority to drive the vehicle from the owner.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 8:50 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

If the car is UK registered the following applies.

The Road Safety Act (2006) introduced a new offence of being the 'keeper of an uninsured vehicle' - unless that vehicle is subject to a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) or is in the process of being transferred to a new keeper by DVLA.

Now that all the necessary regulations are in place a new law, 'Continuous Insurance Enforcement'(CIE) comes into force this spring (2011). At this time, CIE is not being introduced in Northern Ireland.

Driver and Vehicle records held by the DVLA will be compared with the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

Registered keepers of vehicles suspected of having no insurance or SORN will receive an official reminder - an 'Insurance Advisory Letter'.

If the letter is ignored and the keeper takes no action they face the prospect of;

* A £100 fixed penalty (reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days)
* A fine of up to £1000 if the case goes to court
* The vehicle being clamped, seized or destroyed

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 10:08 AM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone. It's a Spanish plated car. I think cheap 3rd party may be the way to go for theft cover.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2014 10:25 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Yes that's the sensible choice but third party fire and theft insurance is not that cheap in Spain. I actually enquired recently and got 2 quotes. It was only about €100 cheaper than fully comprehensive. That in a locked garage as well.

You may be able to get cheaper laid up insurance which may suit you better. I know it's possible in UK but in Spain I'm not sure. Worth enquiries.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

From another thread: UK law: Innocent until proven guilty - 4 posts
bopmalaga es buscar.php website help anyone please? - 5 posts
Someone Is Telling Porkies - 8 posts
LAKE VINUELA SOCIAL CLUB - 0 posts
Lawyer just informed me I may need a Gestoria - 1 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
Will Spain Follow Cyprus - 2 posts
Arroyo De La Miel Bank help PLEASE - 0 posts
Cars with foreign number plates - 39 posts
Help for UK TV documentary - 5 posts
Freesat & Sky program guide updates - 0 posts
UK to Spain - 0 posts
20 New Rules to Remember for Spanish Road Users - 60 posts
DEVALUATION - Intriguing Question - 5 posts
Spanish Bank and their Charges - is anyone paying no charges? - 5 posts
Agricultural water - 15 posts
More Phantom Theme Parks for Spain? - 0 posts
Lost Friend I really need your help - 0 posts
Spanish Property Market 2014 : Prices May Fall By Another 15% - 41 posts
Why? - 1 posts
English TV in Spain - 39 posts
Hi everybody! - 0 posts
Wills and Inheritance Tax - 14 posts
Electrical fixed charges increased from 36% to 65%. - 13 posts
Shop/Wholesalers Dolores - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x