From another thread: UK law: Innocent until proven guilty

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Mar 2014 3:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have taken this from another post which was going way off thread:

robertt8696 :-   The other point you raise is ruining someone’s life by things such as the current stars on trial for historical sex offences, and i personally feel that the law should be upheld, but in the event of ANY court action, not just sex offences, i think there should be more anonymity of the accused, and the accuser, until the trial is over. This would most likely result in a fair trial, and the right outcome. When the trial is over let the person , if found guilty be exposed to the full glare of public inspection, as to do as we do now, i feel prejudges a case, and maybe influences a decision, and surely under English law, is not a person innocent UNTIL FOUND GUILTY? This would only happen after a fair trial, which i don’t believe is the case presently.

Whilst I can understand one thinking that an accused person’s ID should not be divulged if or until they are convicted, that the persons name is published may mean that victims of that person, who may have not made a complaint previously, say for fear of not being believed, may come forward.  

Although allegations from long ago are very difficult to prove, there can be compelling reasons to believe them. .  Example.  If say 10 women come forward, whom it can be proved do not know each other,and each make allegations which are identical in their MO, that increases the chance that the allegations are true, and may mean that a prosecution may be successful.

The presumption in UK law, that a person is innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY:  That is the reason why it is so difficult to convince a jury, beyond all reasonable doubt, that a person is guilty.   However,  a person not found guilty is never proved to be innocent “     In the UK, it is considerably more likely that a guilty person will walk free than an innocent one will be convicted.  Scotland have the 'half way house' of being able to return a verdict of 'not proven.'

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/03/2014.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/03/2014.

Like 0      
28 Mar 2014 6:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Although allegations from long ago are very difficult to prove, there can be compelling reasons to believe them. . Example. If say 10 women cme forward, whom it can be proved do not know each other,and each make allegations which are identical in their MO, that increases the chance that the allegations are true, and may mean that a prosecution may be successful.
I Johnzx wrote the above-I agree, but In a recent court case, involving a celebrity, the allegations came from many different women, from different parts of the country and there was a not guilty verdict, which I think caused some surprise!

This message was last edited by camposol on 28/03/2014.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2014 5:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

but In a recent court case, involving a celebrity, the allegations came from many different women, from different parts of the country and there was a not guilty verdict, which I think caused some surprise!

I don't know why you are surprised.  Having heard 'jury stories' for over 30 years, of why they convicted or acquitted, almost always for the wrong reasons,   I know the jury system in UK has not worked for years and I suspect that it is getting worse.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2014 9:55 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The jury system as it is now in the UK is the best, whats the alternative? Another "Secret" gaggle of so called expert idiots behind locked doors, the likes of which have come to light over the past months, now that has more then surprised many to have found this type of justice even existed in a so called civilised society.

Like 1      
30 Mar 2014 6:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Quote:-   It is a contempt of court for a juror to disclose, or for anyone else (including the press) to enquire into, the nature of the jury's deliberations. This is an effective bar on jury research in England and Wales, and on appeals on the basis of the jury's method of reaching its decision

This is an effective bar on jury research"     Thus how can anyone say they work, unless they have heard very many stories from people who were jurers ?  As I said, I have.

Quote from The Guardian "The judge in Vicky Pryce's trial dismissed the jury after their questions revealed they did not understand their task."

I have been present in court on a number of occasions when jury members have been unable to read the (pretty simple)  oath, and have had to repeat it after the usher read it out. They then went on to try the case,  several of which were very complicated fraud cases.

As I said, juries do not work, but research into whether they do is not permitted by law.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

bopmalaga es buscar.php website help anyone please? - 5 posts
Someone Is Telling Porkies - 8 posts
LAKE VINUELA SOCIAL CLUB - 0 posts
Lawyer just informed me I may need a Gestoria - 1 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
Will Spain Follow Cyprus - 2 posts
Arroyo De La Miel Bank help PLEASE - 0 posts
Cars with foreign number plates - 39 posts
Help for UK TV documentary - 5 posts
Freesat & Sky program guide updates - 0 posts
UK to Spain - 0 posts
20 New Rules to Remember for Spanish Road Users - 60 posts
DEVALUATION - Intriguing Question - 5 posts
Spanish Bank and their Charges - is anyone paying no charges? - 5 posts
Agricultural water - 15 posts
More Phantom Theme Parks for Spain? - 0 posts
Lost Friend I really need your help - 0 posts
Spanish Property Market 2014 : Prices May Fall By Another 15% - 41 posts
Why? - 1 posts
English TV in Spain - 39 posts
Hi everybody! - 0 posts
Wills and Inheritance Tax - 14 posts
Electrical fixed charges increased from 36% to 65%. - 13 posts
Shop/Wholesalers Dolores - 0 posts
Inheritance tax advice for residents - 39 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x