Mar Azul International School

Schools and Education in Spain Guide
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

Hello

Anyone got any reviews on the above school, they have offered my daughter aged 11 a place and I looking for ANY feedback

Sarah

Like 0      
02 Aug 2007 4:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

28 Nov 2007 2:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Very interesting thread on this school (It's illegal)   

Like 0      
28 Nov 2007 2:49 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Sazzle,

There has been massive contraversy over the school recently resulting in a demonstration at San Miguel Ayuntamiento.

If you can get hold of the Coastrider newspaper online there was an article in there a couple of weeks ago.

I know there has been problems with the legalities of the school with the valencia government stating that the teachers were not legally recogniosed to teach and problems with planning and overcrowding of classrooms but sometimes this can be exagerated as all press is.

I have no personal experience of the school but have heard both good and bad reports regarding the conditions,if someone can find the article from a previous edition of the coatrider,it may help if they post it for you(more)!!

i have found that the state system works very favourably and am deligted with the standarsd they offer my children,maybe its worth considering.

Hope this helps

Georgia

Like 0      
28 Nov 2007 3:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I sent Sazzle a PM some time ago about this but have not heard from her, Georgia.

If you read the link I put it was detailed in there but seeing as you asked & haven't the time  I'll do it !!

From http://www.coastrider.net/editions/198/news_main.htm(6th Nov)

Protest at plans to move Mar Azul school
As often happens to newspaper reporters, covering one story very often leads to another, which is precisely what happened last week when I was asked to publish details of a protest set to take place this Friday in San Miguel de Salinas.
At the centre of the protest is Mar Azul School, a private fee-paying education establishment currently situated in Torrevieja. According to the San Miguel Arcangel Neighbours’ Association, there are plans afoot for Mar Azul School to move out of Torrevieja and into a new site in Ciudad de las Comunicaciones, a quiet residential area situated just off the Campoamor Road, five minute’s drive from the pueblo of San Miguel.
The site at the centre of the debate is a designated sport or recreation area, according to the San Miguel Plan Parcial. A small portion of the designated area, owned by the Town Hall, was set aside for a kindergarten, however, the Neighbours’ Association argues that San Miguel Town Hall has confirmed there are sufficient public school places within the municipality. Not only that, residents are concerned, as they understand it, that Mar Azul is not legal, and lacks the necessary licences. They claim that Torrevieja does not want the school within its municipality. The site in Ciudad de las Comunicaciones is currently a green space, and despite the fact that Mar Azul is understood to be planning the move by the end of the year, there is no building activity. This is heightening residents’ concerns that their green space will be filled with portacabins.
Local residents are also concerned that their social club, situated just over the hill within the same urbanisation, is now being used as an overspill facility for Mar Azul school. Already, at least two classrooms are in operation, situated on the first floor of the building. On the ground floor is the bar and restaurant, Los Carteros. The Neighbours’ Association said that in the Plan Parcial, this building is designated for social use by the community, and not to be used for private benefit.
So far, the Neighbours’ Association has failed to get a formal response from the Town Hall on the issue of the new school, and of the use of the social club as an overspill facility by Mar Azul. One resident told me that San Miguel Town Hall had denied having any discussions with Mar Azul school, however, the school has made its intentions known publicly, and according to sources, prospective parents have been taken to see the site.
A meeting last Thursday was attended by more than 100 residents from Villas Maria, Torrestrella and Ciudad de las Comunicaciones, who all agreed on a plan of action to stop Mar Azul moving into their quiet neighbourhood.
Representatives from Mar Azul school were asked to attend, but no representation was made. The Neighbourhood group intends to write to the Minister for Education in Valencia, and to seek a formal response from San Miguel Town Hall. They want to denounce the use of the community social club for what they say is an illegal school, and reclaim the centre for the use of local residents.
I visited the social club in Ciudad de las Comunicaciones with a local resident and a reporter from another local newspaper. It was a bank holiday and the site was empty of children and builders, although the bar was open. We saw two classrooms which had evidently been in use owing to writing on the whiteboards and signs of other activity. Other classrooms were still being built. Outside the classrooms were old files, and a box containing documentation – it seemed as though these items were waiting to be thrown away. We looked inside a box to seek confirmation that it was indeed Mar Azul school which was operating from this site. What we found was shocking. We found a pile of documents that contained personal information about pupils at the school, including one note detailing an exclusion, and several detailing children’s sick records including concerns about a pupil’s rapid weight loss. I recognised the names of two youngsters mentioned within these notes. All three of us were astounded at how easily we had been able to access this confidential and sensitive information which was placed outside a classroom, available for anyone to see, and take away. We returned the documents to the box, and made a decision to alert the school as quickly as we could to our findings, and at the same time, to ask how Mar Azul school could justify this serious breach in student confidentiality.
At the time of going to print, I had received an email response from Rachel Pastell at Mar Azul School who was unable to meet with me or discuss the situation in time for our deadline. However, I shall be talking with Rachel as soon as possible to clarify what has happened, and what is happening in the future.
It would appear that residents of Ciudad de las Comunicaciones have every right to be concerned, but now, parents whose children attend Mar Azul school may also have some serious questions to ask of those in charge of this fee-paying establishment. There is the issue of the documentation containing personal information, as well as the health and safety issues surrounding the overspill arrangement above the bar and restaurant.
Moving swiftly back to Friday’s protest, a local resident told me: “There is a growing frustration in San Miguel that residents are not consulted about anything. Since the election, nothing has moved forward despite so many promises. People still have water supplies that are poisonous; illegal urbanisations would appear to be no nearer to being adopted by the administration. Now, we could be faced with an illegal school right on our doorstep, and it would appear that discussions about this have been taking place without our knowledge or inclusion. We will be looking for answers on Friday.”
The Arcangel Neighbours’ Association is calling on local residents to join them to protest outside the Town Hall on Friday 9 November. The group is meeting at the Association’s club building, situated behind Bar Romero, at 1pm.
R Griffin

Like 0      
28 Nov 2007 3:07 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
there you go sazzle,more comes up trumps again.........

Like 0      
28 Nov 2007 3:32 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

Dont worry guys, after seeing the building they were in I decded not to bother with Mar Azl and I am going the State route!

Thanks for the info tho and it might help anyone else who is interested.

sarah

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LONG LET REQUIRED - 3 posts
Is this a silly question, - 11 posts
Want to take my dog to spain to live - 1 posts
Just joined - 5 posts
Just Joined - 5 posts
The Bridge at Balsicas. - 4 posts
Train link from Costa Del Sol to southern France - 4 posts
Suite Del Mar - CDS - 0 posts
Swimming pool constuctors and all the jargon that goes with it. - 2 posts
Mystery Guests - 2 posts
Mystery Guests - 0 posts
AVE High Speed Train Murcia to Almeria - 16 posts
Santa Ana Del Monte Completion Dates For 2007 - 1 posts
Looking for Part Loads to Murcia Region in Mid Oct - 0 posts
3 Beds fully furnished and equipped apartment in Gandia available for rent - 0 posts
Snaggers wanted - 5 posts
Sept rental wanted in Palomares Almeria - 0 posts
Los Llanos del Peral - 1 posts
Sept Rental wanted Palomares Almeria - 0 posts
Torrox Pueblo - 1 posts
Bed and Breakfast - 1 posts
work has begun - 17 posts
Goodbye Canada, Hello Spain. - 4 posts
Meeting at the Town Hall on fri 19th jan 2007 - 1 posts
Valparaiso Restaurant Mijas V Villa Tiberia Marbella - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x