Crockery, glasses, etc. - Ikea or Supermarket?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Aug 2013 6:46 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi All

About to occupy our recently purchased townhouse in Los Alcazares and we intend to replace all the crockery, mugs, glasses, cutlery, saucepans......

Would we be better purchasing these items enmass from Ikea in Murcia or one of the many supermarkets?

We are buying for ourselves as we do not intend to rent the property out

Thanks for any advice

Kerry

Like 0      
12 Aug 2013 7:27 PM by JHW Star rating. 0 posts

We found Ikea the best value---we tend to buy a few extra then to cover breakages.Enjoy J

Like 0      
12 Aug 2013 7:43 PM by gemini11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi Kerry, we went to ikea at Murcia and brought all our crockery and pans glasses and cuttlery, we found the choice great, we wanted not the cheapest but a lovely colour choice and something a bit modern, for our dinner set and found a lovely pale teal blue with lots of contrasting unusual shaped dishes for nuts and olives etc. plus they have lots of little gadgets for the kitchen and all the linnen you could want.  i find the Eroski by us is very expensive for anything for the kitchen the knives can be 10 - 15 euros each, and the crockery is so old fashioned, i really enjoyed going there and seeing all the stuff they have and we filled our car.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2013 8:44 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Hi .

We wanted to furnish our holiday place in Camposol quickly at reasonable cost and reasonable quality.

We went to an IKEA store in the UK( Gateshead Metro ) and then looked at the selections on display so viewing in the UK but pick up the goods and purchase in Spain ( Murcia Store is the same size as Gateshead one ).

We made a list  went on line at GOOGLE Ikea .com web pages and input the product codes when the shoping basket is full change the launguage  to spanish and have also price in euros. In Spain picked up lights, furniture, beds, wardrobes, etc etc Found it really easy as you park UNDER IKEA in Murcia and loading the car is a doddle. Saved us hours of driving round and round looking for odd bits and pieces. All went well and would reccommend this method . Any large items in the furniture area check with the spanish staff you have all the seprate bits reqd. Good luck

This message was last edited by aliton on 12/08/2013.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2013 12:49 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Personally I have difficulty liking IKEA crockery because it has that "IKEA look" and because I have more than enough of it back home (reminder of my student days) so wanted something totally different for my Spanish holiday property.

I actually enjoy shopping around in small local shops and chatting to shopkeepers about this and that and found that I could find stuff that (at least to my untrained eye) looks much less generic and much more exclusive without actually spending much more money than I would in IKEA. In fact many small shops are so happy to see customers these days that they offer you all sorts of discounts that IKEA wouldn't be offering.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2013 3:00 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Nothing wrong with Ikea plus if something breaks it's easy enough to get replacements that fit the style. I find it soothing to go ,,ah well, that's life'' when something hits the floor and disintegrates rather than go ,,"$^%£&, that was a fortune.They also have a range that goes from cheap to something more classy.

The big Carrefour stores have usually quite good offers as well. But I  Iike kea.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2013 9:37 PM by Spanishsteve Star rating in Surrey, Eastbourne &.... 81 posts Send private message

I bought all my tableware and cutlery pans etc from Ikea for my south coast UK holiday home. The +365 crockery is actually very nice good quality kit. After 18 months still no probs or signs of wear.
As a matter of interest I once had 2 web pages open side by side, one was Ikea UK, the other IKea Spain, identical. The only item that I could not get in Spain was a divan bed that I have in my main house, in Spain the Ikea beds do differ from the UK.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2013 10:18 PM by cat33 Star rating in Roda Golf. 45 posts Send private message

Hi Kerry,
I bought the majority of my glassware and basic items in Ikea but other items in Casa.Their stuff is lovely.Some lovely items in basic white but also some really pretty unique items especially when it's just for your own use.Zara Home also has some gorgeous homeware items.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2013 10:19 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I roam between 4 abodes which can get a bit tiresome but in 3 of them I have the same IKEA pan sets, lamps, bedding, glasses, cutlery and some other bits and bobs. It somehow makes the moving around a little bit easier when the stuff is familiar in each place. I  heart  IKEA!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
16 Aug 2013 12:52 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
For everyday stuff, we use the local Chinese shops. Very reasonable and you don't mind if something hits the marble floors. Supermarkets like Carrefour, Eroski, AlCampo etc do very good quality pots and pans etc. The glasses in these places are also very good for day to day use. For something a little better, we got stuff from Zara Home. Lot better quality, more expensive but cheaper than the Zara shops in UK. We did look at El Corte Ingles but decided we didn't want to take out another mortgage! Kitchen gadgets (you know, the stuff you think will come in useful and you use once and then confine it to the back of the cupboard) from IKEA. Mind you, we do use the potato ricer and garlic crusher a lot, though not necessarily at the same time.

Like 0      
16 Aug 2013 1:21 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I recently bought a complete set of Arcos kitchen knives, complete with a knife block, from the local ferreteria. The same ones were on sale in El Corte Ingles but the ferreteria had the set about 50 Euros cheaper. I'm really happy with them and gladly threw out my previous collection of non-matching, assorted and various rickety hand-me-down and IKEA knives I had been living with hitherto. The only thing I regret is not having done that earlier. Decent knives are the blessing of any kitchen. Most of the obscure and use-once-a-year stuff in the kitchen I bought from the local Chinese shops as well as mixing bowls, chopping boards etc which don't need to be fancy but are just there to get the job done. The chopping boards from my local Chinese are identical to those of IKEA but without the IKEA logo and cost half the price. The more heavy duty and electrical stuff is either from the ferreteria or smaller shops in my area. I generally buy stuff that can go wrong locally so I don't have to travel if it needs to be fixed or replaced. Some of the local shops know me quite well now and sometimes spontaneously give me freebies or reductions. I also think its important to support local traders as if we don't, they'll be gone when we need them. The crockery is from a local shop with odd items from El Corte Ingles and some of the more obscure and unusual items from second hand shops or Ebay. We bought the house semi-furnished but a lot of the stuff the previous owner left us is a bit iffy so we're replacing it bit by bit and are always on the look out for nice bits and pieces that would make the house more fit for our tastes. We've just recently changed all the door handles and hinges for example to replace the drab generic 1980s feel by something more individual and hopefully also more durable.

This message was last edited by amogles on 16/08/2013.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2013 11:04 PM by christos1980 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

when i am in Spain i really prefer the Ferreterias

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Clubhouse Bar/Rest Eroski Centre - 1 posts
bike for sale - 0 posts
Wanted bar fridge and shade sails - 0 posts
Mazarron (where?) crying foul - 9 posts
IS THE SIESTA OUTDATED - 5 posts
car excess - 0 posts
Legal action in UK over spanish properry debt - 25 posts
NIE APPLICATION - 14 posts
MY SPANISH HERO - 0 posts
Theft -a warning to all - 10 posts
Refund Process La Caixa - 0 posts
Promotion Internationals calls for 0€ throughout 2013 - 0 posts
Certificate of Energy Efficiency - 2 posts
Goldcar Car rental has just cheated me - 19 posts
New to the site but need some advice. - 7 posts
Cost of living UK / Spain - 0 posts
If the UK were to give back Gibraltar, what would the Spanish do with it? - 13 posts
Removing property from public register - 4 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 0 posts
IS THE CORRECT WAY TO SPELL RECESSION c.o.m.p.l.a.c.e.n.c.y - 0 posts
Hi - Moving to Javea, Costa Blanca in October - a few questions! - 2 posts
Cheapest way to dial uk landlines and mobiles from a spanish landline - 5 posts
Transfer of 10k Euros from Spain (La Caixa "Resident" Account) to UK - 7 posts
Table Tennis - 4 posts
Spanish Practice - Atrévete! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x