IS IT STUPID?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2013 9:50 AM by deesam56 Star rating in Stafford. 31 posts Send private message

Will it be stupid to move an almost 15 year old to Sain?

We have been considering for quite a while but having family problems here with not being allowed to associate with a new grandchild, I don't feel like staying in UK to have grief any more

I also have arthritis and fell better in the warm weather

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 12:11 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

If you can afford to live in without the need of a job then go for it I am sure the 15 year old will enjoy it as well

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 12:16 PM by deesam56 Star rating in Stafford. 31 posts Send private message

well my husband is on state pension from this September - I am just concerned about my son - is it ossible to home school? he wants to join the police force after taking a college course in UK just wonder if we can get him to the same stage in Spain by home schooling - he is learning Spanish in school which will help

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 12:40 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

I don't think that is a bad idea for a couple of years.    There are quite a few 'after school' schools for kids wanting to do GCSEs as well as attending Spanish school.   It would take some creative thinking but if said teenager was up for it........

The downside is that it could be isolating.    I guess he could go to scool and do gcse in the evening?  You will need to find a centre so he can take the exams - and preferably be prepared for the exams.  That should not be difficult on the costas.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 2:36 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I don't think it is a good idea-it would be better for him to join you after university, college etc in UK. It is illegal to home school.Surely he will be in the middle of studying for GCSEs;it will be very disruptive. It will also be a long time before he is really fluent in Spanish, even though young people pick up spoken Spanish easily enough.  To move him at  15 is the worst time for him.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 2:58 PM by 2littletinkers Star rating in Naranjos 5. 549 posts Send private message

Personally I think 15 is just too old!  I think 10 is about as old a child as I would want to bring to Spain...once they hit teenage years and get attitude they are that bit harder to mould.  

If it were me I would wait till he has gone to university!

I so wish I could say 'go for it', for your sake!  The weather is so good for the mind and for those aches and pains!

Good luck, whatever you decide!

www.condadokidsclub.com

12 Months' Keyholding with weekly checks, just €99!!! Email condadokey@gmail.com

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 3:40 PM by deesam56 Star rating in Stafford. 31 posts Send private message

thanks for replies

this has been our dilemma for  afew years - I have 5 children and 5 grandchildren

most of the children are over 18 just the one who is almost 15

every time we have thought about emigrating the children have either been at high schoool or have girlfriends they dont want to leave or are having their own children

Some day the time will be right - i think leaving it a few years is probably best once my youngest is old enough to decide if he wants to move or not - just hope by then my husband and me aren't too old to want it :(

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 4:14 PM by 2littletinkers Star rating in Naranjos 5. 549 posts Send private message

There comes a time when you have to do what is right for you!!! You are nearly there....the day your son goes to Uni, sell up and move to Spain!!! In the meantime learn Spanish, if you havent already! Learn a new skill, prepare yourself physically and mentally!! Wrk out how many days till he goes to Uni and count down those days...

www.condadokidsclub.com

12 Months' Keyholding with weekly checks, just €99!!! Email condadokey@gmail.com

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 4:17 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

I hate to say it but I agree it would be incredibly disruptive for the 15 year old. Home scholing isn't considered her in Spain as far as I am aware and the only way he would have a chance would be going to private English school that teached the British system, but prepare €600/month for that. Otherwise I would stay in the UK until he goes to university. Maybe he could go to a university in Spain and make the move even easier. I am sure he would love it. There are universities in Spain that also offer degrees given entirely in English if his Spainsh isn't up to scratch.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 4:21 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

It depends on how keen the 15 year old is.  As I say, he could go to school and still do English gcses and A level through a part time evening centre, without having to go for a full fee private school.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 4:30 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

That may be the case but in my opinion no matter how keen he is he will eventually get fed up of so many schooling hours, GSCE's are enough work as they are without having to do the Spanish system as well. Add all the pressure of not having friends or not having time to make friends because he is doing "double school", no time for sport or extra curricular activities, always tired because of the hours..., he wouldn't have to be keen, but obsessed with coming to Spain no matter what.  I don't know many 15 year olds who would put up with that for very long...

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 5:01 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

He is 15 now - it would not be for long.   He will almost have completed his GCSE work - which could of course present a problem in terms of centres to do the exam.   But I would say if you have been putting off because of circumstances for a while - it is not going to change.   There will always be reasons not to come to Spain.   

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 5:47 PM by deesam56 Star rating in Stafford. 31 posts Send private message

I agree with that, I will have to make a decision

thanks 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 6:48 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Roly 2-yes there will always be reasons, but the possible disruption   of a child's schooling is a VERY good reason not to come to Spain yet!

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 8:02 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

He is very nearly post compulsory.   I am not saying that it is not important - but it is hardly the priority that it might have if he were 11.

Think of the experience it would be - and the opportunity to be bilingual.   That would open a lot of doors for him in the very near future.  If he wants to go into the police, the chances are he will not be considered until he is about 20 - maybe even older.   So filling in his time and making himself stand out  from all those others who want to join the police, should also be a priority.   

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 8:47 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

"He is very nearly post compulsory"             

A very compelling reason to let him finish his education undisrupted.  Much easier to move an 11 year old who is about start secondary education than a 15 year old about to take important exams and finish secondary education. Just my opinion as mother who returned to the UK so both my children could be educated without disruptive upheavels and those children then went on to explore the world themselves.

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Housing prices are on the rise in some coastal areas - 37 posts
Inheritance Tax for non-residents - 32 posts
Gestorial services before we go? - 10 posts
Has anyone used a buying agent? - 7 posts
Trying to find a person who installs log burners and install alarms in Balsicas in Murcia - 3 posts
Wanted - Long Term Let - San Miguel De Salinas area - 0 posts
Stephie - 0 posts
taking car to Spain - 4 posts
Paying voluntarily into social security? - 11 posts
Long Term Rental - 3 posts
The Party Spaniardo - 0 posts
What are you thinking when you are driving alone? - 4 posts
Calahonda Car Boot - 2 posts
looking to rent LONG TERM 15k radius of Torrevieja, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Help needed please - 2 posts
wifi in Andalucia - 0 posts
Handing back the keys to the bank. - 9 posts
Sad news about Julia Sinclair (Jules1) - 7 posts
Inconsistent judicial rulings, BG malpractice and ongoing concerns re consumer rights - 2 posts
looking for house to rent long term - 5 posts
Business Opportunities - 4 posts
Can anybody suggest how I can get my house valued for insurance - 3 posts
JUSTICE FOR SOME AT LAST - 0 posts
gardenfurniture area Heredades-Almoradi-Torrevija - 0 posts
Screwfix - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x