retail shop rental for florist business.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Apr 2013 9:36 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Can anyone advise on best location in Marbella to open a Florist business.  I have seen retail unit on the golden mile 2000euro per month.  Nice unit but a little expensive.

Is it a good time to start a new business.  I would like to hear from business owners and whatever advise they could give would help.

I hope to move to spain inJune this year.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2013 11:41 PM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

would suggest you forget Marbella and look at Nueva Andalucia or Estapona unless you speak good Spanish.

Hard to judge the rental price personally I think 2k plus iva is expensive  and not the best location if your looking for the expat market.

Just my opinion

Like 0      
17 Apr 2013 9:13 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

2000€ a month rent for this shop means you have to take minimum 1000€ per week, every week, just to cover the monthly rent, nothing else, no wages, electric, water, TAX, etc etc, is that possible with flowers? to cover all other expenses i would imagine somewhere in the region of 1,800€ a week, 7,200€ a month.

As things are getting tougher by the week just to get by every day would customers use little money they have left over to buy flowers? 

I know their is one hell of a mark up on flowers but at even 1 cent a bunch if the customer hasn't got the money it don't matter how cheap any item is.

Are other flower shops near by? if so and you can sit outside and watch how many customers go in that shop just in one day, that might give you a good idea, if you can sit in the shop you would like to rent for 1 hour, maybe a day, put a massive bunch of flowers in the window, count the people that walk by, count the people that stop to look at the bunch of flowers just out of curiosity.

I have never had any business in Spain and wouldn't try one, i am in business in England, have been all my life, had quite a few retail shops at one time, and i know of friends that opened flower shops.....back when money was about....now they get by, but not like it used to be, when things get tough financially you have to realise certain things in the world get cut back on. Spain is no different then England in many  ways...No money....No spend.

I wish you all the best should you decide to do it. 

Like 0      
18 Apr 2013 8:46 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you both for your advice. Indeed times are difficult and that is why location and rent is very important.

I would like to hear from business people in marbella and maybe they could advise of the situation in Marbella.  The population of Marbella is said to increase by 30% during touist season, does this help their business.

I do hope to employ a spanish speaking florist and try to attract as much online business as possible.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2013 6:50 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
I don't think people would want to buy flowers when they're on holiday - well, I wouldn't

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 4:43 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Yes, they do buy flowers.  People who love fresh flowers do buy them for their apartments and villas during their holidays.  I know one couple who buy flowers for their villa as soon as they arrive and centre piece for their dining table.  She says it brings life to the place and she enjoys them.

Hundreds go to Marbella every year just to get married.  There are flowers for the wedding party and the Function room and bouquets for Mothers together with thank you bouquets etc.

Relay agencies send thousands of bouquets to Marbella every year.  It is big business. 

Of course you are right. There are people who dont buy flowers on Holidays, especially those who are on a tight budget and maybe are only staying a week or so. But all you need is .009%  of them and you make money

Waiting to hear from business people in Marbella as to how business is with the recession and all that.

I hope to have shop by mid June.  Any advise welcome.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 4:59 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks Baz, there is much in what you say.

One lady came into my flower shop and said flowers are a luxury item with the current recession.  I agreed and said everything is a luxury now even that pair of nice shoes especially when one has 50 pairs at home seldom worn.  She laughed and said during boom times she bought a pair every week and sometimes 2.  However she said she had not bought a pair in 2 years and is now wearing what she bought 2 years ago. No matter if she got 3 pairs for the price of one........NO BUY.

CORRECT.....No money........No SPEND.

How right you are.  I wish you best of luck in the UK, I always feel things pick up in the UK quicker than other places. Lets hope.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 5:38 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thanks Baz, there is much in what you say.

One lady came into my flower shop and said flowers are a luxury item with the current recession. I agreed and said everything is a luxury now even that pair of nice shoes especially when one has 50 pairs at home seldom worn. She laughed and said during boom times she bought a pair every week and sometimes 2. However she said she had not bought a pair in 2 years and is now wearing what she bought 2 years ago. No matter if she got 3 pairs for the price of one........NO BUY.

CORRECT.....No money........No SPEND.

How right you are. I wish you best of luck in the UK, I always feel things pick up in the UK quicker than other places. Lets hope.

You are very welcome, i wont give any advice on something i haven't done or don't know to much about.....Even then i get it wrong.

With regarding to the UK and business, now i don't usually take to much notice of the media, but this i can see happening everywhere around me, and it was also reported the other day by the new in-coming boss of the Bank of England, we are the sick person of the EU, we are in grave danger of going further downhill if we don't sit up and take notice of whats happening around us, the reality is we are worse of then quite a few other countries because we are not doing anything to stop the rot, and worse we wont admit it is happening, forget what the chancellor and Cameron is telling all that we are doing great, facts are shouting out loud....We are not!

I have lost a good few customers...Far to many... because they have shut or gone bust, business friends that i speak with and have known and dealt with for years are fed up with the high cost of everything going up to them, every few days it seems, but the retail price is in effect coming down.

I wish you well, i applaud you for giving it a go. 

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 5:47 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks Baz

I will let you know how I get on.  

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 7:27 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

WE buy flowers twice a week. They are a joy and should be delivered to every houselod at least once a week.

I wish the OP all the best.

Rossetti

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 8:10 PM by ElviriaDreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

ElviriaDreamer´s avatar

Santaclara

Sometimes, as odd as it sounds, the best time to launch a business is in a recession and I think if you are determined to do this you will suceed.

I would however, think Marbella may be well covered already. Most established florists have been there years doing deliveries and all sorts. Personally I think you would have to have a very niche idea for your business to compete with those who are well established in the area.

That is not to say you shouldn't do it...you must just get your location, quality and pricing right.  

You can't beat having beautiful fresh flowers in the home/apartment and there are so many things you could do/offer to enhance your business.

Hope wherever you choose works out for you and is a success...GOOD LUCK AND GO FOR IT.

It will work or it wont.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 11:06 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you Rossetti, flowers are beautiful and I feel just do something for the mind.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 11:17 PM by santaclara Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you ElveriaDreamer for your help.  I do need to think of something to give it a kick start.  Maybe I could advertise in eye on spain.  Maybe employ someone to drop leaflets to Hotels, restaurants villas and apartments with 20% discount and free deivery.

I do hope to do wedding packages at really low prices to all brides and wedding planners.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Will a cheap airline fly to cordoba? - 2 posts
hello - 21 posts
uk / spain - 0 posts
3G in Spain - 2 posts
New and seeking guidance - 10 posts
Medical insurance - 11 posts
Need a recommendation for a good restaurant in Malaga old town. - 3 posts
Does this happen to others ???? - 1 posts
Where to buy sewing machines? - 4 posts
EGM's - 6 posts
What is going on with card sharing? - 0 posts
New photos loaded on Camposol Community Forum Page - 3 posts
Neighbour from hell - 13 posts
Insolvency - 6 posts
upto date advice if poss please - 1 posts
belgium/french pesion? - 0 posts
Newbee!!! - 0 posts
Help!!!! UK to SPAIN. ANYONE GOT SPACE IN A VAN/LORRY????? - 4 posts
Inland Sky TV Spain - 9 posts
HELP!!!! UK to SPAIN ANY SPACE IN A VAN???? - 0 posts
latest threads first, please! - 4 posts
NEWBEE - CASTELLO AIRPORT FLIGHT PATHS - 0 posts
INHERITANCE AND STEPCHILDREN IN SPAIN - 16 posts
HELP!!!! Uk to England, Any Space In A Van/Lorry - 0 posts
Changing the way community fees are paid - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x